Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Spatial Mapping to the cloud.

AR123AR123
edited November 2016 in Questions And Answers

I'm trying to stream and store my spatial maps to my web server in real-time rather than to my unit. Any idea on the best way to do this?

Best Answer

• Answer ✓

@AR123,

If you are looking to transfer the mesh data from your HoloLens, you may be able to leverage the MeshSaver script from the HoloToolkit for Unity. This would be similar in concept to saving the Spatial mesh as an obj file using the Windows Device Portal.

The MeshSaver code would run as part of an application and the application would send the mesh information to your server. The data stored by the MeshSaver is the vertex and index lists. Normals, tangents, UVs, etc are not stored in that class.

Thanks,
    David

Answers

• I have wanted to do the same thing previously but I don't think it is possible with the APIs provided. What is your use case for this? In our case we could do what we needed by storing just the anchors in a Sharing Server (separate PC) rather than the complete map.

• AR123AR123
    edited November 2016

@Peter_NZ that's a shame; if what you say is true then it makes the Hololens platform pretty much useless. I'm just looking to pass the data back to my server from the device in realtime.

• What type of data are you send back to the server? You can get position, distance from walls, direction etc. from the Hololens which you can send to a web service - just not the map itself.

• AR123AR123
    edited November 2016

@Peter_NZ you can? I've been looking through the documentation and haven't found those instructions. Without the map itself, all of this data is useless. This is very disappointing considering that the device is supposed to be for AR.

Seems like a no brainer option; perhaps Microsoft just needs some competition in this space to finally provide cloud-based spatial mapping.

• AR123AR123
    edited December 2016

Anyone know where the redirect code for the spatial mapping is in the Hololens API? I'd like to redirect my 3D map captures from the device to my web server over an asynchronous client.

• Answer ✓

@AR123,

If you are looking to transfer the mesh data from your HoloLens, you may be able to leverage the MeshSaver script from the HoloToolkit for Unity. This would be similar in concept to saving the Spatial mesh as an obj file using the Windows Device Portal.

The MeshSaver code would run as part of an application and the application would send the mesh information to your server. The data stored by the MeshSaver is the vertex and index lists. Normals, tangents, UVs, etc are not stored in that class.

Thanks,
    David

• @DavidKlineMS said:
    @AR123,

Thanks,
    David

Thanks for the tip. Why are the Normals, tangents, UV not stored in that class? Can I write custom code (using existing API) to have them stored?

• @AR123,
    The normal were not stored as they are easy to regenerate from the vertices. The Tangents, UVs, etc. were not stored because we did not need them for the project we were creating.

Feel free to make changes to the class and submit a pull request on GitHub to save additional data with the mesh.

Thanks!
    David