Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

In Unity, camera at (0, 0.5, -2) instead of origin?

In Unity, I prefer my assets to be at the origin.

In the Origami tutorial, the assets are at (0, -0,5, 2) (half meter below the user, 2 meters in front) and the camera is at the origin.

Will there be any issues if I put the camera at (0, 0.5, -2) and the assets at the origin?

Thank you for your help.

Best Answer

• HoloSheepHoloSheep mod
    Answer ✓

@BluePotato when placing a camera into a 3D environment the location you choose is somewhat arbitrary since the only relationship of the camera is a portal/view into that virtual 3D space that is then mapped to a monitor or display device. The factors that would influence where you place it might include 1st person vs 3rd person viewpoint for your character and other artistic considerations.

However, when using Unity for a HoloLens application, the camera in Unity actually has a 1:1 relationship with your view through the HoloLens of the "mixed reality" space you are moving through. Unlike the typical game scenario where the 3D space is all virtual, the HoloLens 3D space is both virtual and physical.
    If you place the camera somewhere other than the origin, the virtual camera (in Unity) will be out of alignment with the physical camera (your HoloLens) and your spatial environment data will not align correctly with your virtual 3D space and objects.

If for example you were to rotate your head 90 degrees you would then be pivoting from a different origin point in space than the camera view was. Although it might be an interesting effect, I don't think it would be a pleasant or useful effect in most situations.

Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
    WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings

Answers

• HoloSheepHoloSheep mod
    Answer ✓

@BluePotato when placing a camera into a 3D environment the location you choose is somewhat arbitrary since the only relationship of the camera is a portal/view into that virtual 3D space that is then mapped to a monitor or display device. The factors that would influence where you place it might include 1st person vs 3rd person viewpoint for your character and other artistic considerations.

However, when using Unity for a HoloLens application, the camera in Unity actually has a 1:1 relationship with your view through the HoloLens of the "mixed reality" space you are moving through. Unlike the typical game scenario where the 3D space is all virtual, the HoloLens 3D space is both virtual and physical.
    If you place the camera somewhere other than the origin, the virtual camera (in Unity) will be out of alignment with the physical camera (your HoloLens) and your spatial environment data will not align correctly with your virtual 3D space and objects.

If for example you were to rotate your head 90 degrees you would then be pivoting from a different origin point in space than the camera view was. Although it might be an interesting effect, I don't think it would be a pleasant or useful effect in most situations.

Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
    WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings

• Thank you for the detailed response. Makes sense. I'll just have to get used to the offset for the rest of my scene assets.