Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

3D Viewer Beta

2»

Comments

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdfX9p6fUE8

An... FBX of one of our projects generated in Revit with optimization in Grasshopper3D

• edited July 2016
    Here's a video I recorded of a Revit model that I'm walking around in. This is a potential pool and covered area that I have designed. As you can see as you walk around you have to realign the model with your view.

https://youtu.be/TGQg5nmc12E
  • I just received my hololens 2 days ago. I work in the commercial civil engineering industry and what we would like to be able to use 3D viewer for is to take our .dwg files or .tin surface files and overlay design and existing and try to catch problems. Converting .dwg or .tin into .fbx is a struggle, but all in all 3d viewer is a good program for the small amount of time it has been out.

• I've been using 3D viewer a little for some basic data visualization (see this thread, which includes my not-so-great workflow of Matlab->Blender->.fbx), and for some architectural visualization at both reduced (model) and full immersive scale (not yet online).

Generally it has been a great experience, and I'm very impressed with both Hololens and the 3D viewer app.

For me, the most useful additions would be a dynamic sectioning plane and visibility control over different parts of the model, both as per @mbassett's long list of suggestions, and a quick selection for scale switching (e.g. jump to 10:1, 5:1, 1:1), as a few people have mentioned. There's obviously much more that one could add, but it seems like this would move from a simple and quick visualization tool into something else in that case...

I have also found the file loading to be a little buggy at times, although I'm not sure why. It usually works for me if I open a file directly from the onedrive, but sometimes fails if I go into 3D viewer first, then via file->open etc.

Again, though, let me emphasise: this is amazing stuff from the development teams!

• So there is no capability to load a model at a 1:1 scale at the moment, correct? I'm working with an extremely large model that I would love to be able to load to the correct size each time I open it rather than tap and scale up to just roughly the right size. Also, there's no chance the source code is available for tweaking for personal use, is there?

• In regards to the 3d viewer beta, it's not supporting objects with multiple materials on it. In many cases, we may create clusters for polygons that have a separate texture. In these cases, no textures are displayed.

• Great work on this project!

I am wondering if you would be able to add sharing to your app so that others can view the model being controlled by another person. I've been working on this myself, but would rather purchase a complete system than get bogged down with all the code. It would be amazing to be able to give a presentation to a group of people all looking at a model and being able to point out different benefits of a design rather than looking at a 2D rendering.

• Are there any planned updates for this app in the near future? Our biggest issue at this point is the lack of being able to open a model at 1:1 scale. Also, the other issue that we have discovered is when you are "in" the model, after scaling it to a rough 1:1 scale, and you go to move/align the model, it automatically adjust to your line of sight therefore makes it extremely difficult to line up with an existing structure because every time you attempt to make a small alignment gesture it moves the entire model closer to you. When you select "move" the model shouldn't automatically realign.

• Hello,
    is it possible to call the 3D Viewer Beta from another app or process for example as you can do it in a command line with arguments? ....../3DViewerBeta.exe

Best Regards,
    Thomas

• edited September 2017

Hello everyone,

HoloLive is your solution.

We have launched Revit and Navisworks plugins for HoloLens 3 months ago. It is very simple to take your large BIM models from Navisworks to HoloLens as simple as one click. You need to install HoloLive app on HoloLens. It is a cloud based solution and you can also sync your models to HoloLens also.

You can set up your reference/ survey point in plugins also to place you model accurately in the field.

For more information: www.VisuaLive3D.com

You can start with 7 days trial.

VisuaLive3D Team

• Chiming in again for the 1:1 scaling crowd. Having to manually scale to get my models to be the correct size is nowhere near accurate enough. My models come in at something like a 0.3 scale factor, but setting them to 1.00, the model is still about 2-3x too small. I've followed the instructions on the site, but I'm not sure whats going on.

I currently export a DWF from Revit (to maintain our colors) and then open in Navisworks and export an FBX from there. The colors come through great, but the scale is always wrong.

• With the latest update in 2018, now the scale option does not work. It says tap and hold, but no bar appears for scaling.