Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Hololens WebRTC UWP

Hi to All,
I'm using WebRTC for UWP (www.nuget.org/packages/WebRTC).

This is my code:
var _media = Media.CreateMedia();
var acd = _media.GetAudioCaptureDevices();
var apd = _media.GetAudioPlayoutDevices();
var vcd = _media.GetVideoCaptureDevices();

_media.SelectAudioCaptureDevice(acd[0]);
    _media.SelectAudioPlayoutDevice(apd[0]);
    _media.SelectVideoDevice(vcd[0]);

var _localStream = await _media.GetUserMedia(new RTCMediaStreamConstraints() { audioEnabled = true, videoEnabled = true });

Using this library it is possible stream the MRC video instead standard camera?

Thanks
Andrea

Answers

• Options

Hi Andrea,

did you find a solution for this issue? Would be interested to know that as well, because now only getting plain video stream.

Thanks!

• Options

Hi Tadas,
    no I didn't find any solutions.

Andrea

• Options

@AndreaSassetti said:
    Hi to All,
    I'm using WebRTC for UWP (www.nuget.org/packages/WebRTC).

Hi Andrea,

I hope you'll forgive the newbie question, but how did you manage to pull in the WebRTC package via NuGet? Each time I rebuild from Unity, it gets removed.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Dan

• Options

Hi Dan,

try watching this tutorial, hope it will help:

https://channel9.msdn.com/Blogs/2p-start/Combining-Windows-10-features-with-Unity-games-in-your-own-plugin

Thanks,
    Tadas

• Options

Thanks very much @Tadas, I'll take a look.

• Options

I assume @AndreaSassetti is building native UWP apps in visual studio rather than Unity.

The video @Tadas linked is good but the library she builds is a managed library (c#) while WebRTC is created in c++ and .net 4.0 so it is a native library.

That means you'd have to write 'extern' hooks in which to tie into. This has the general overview:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/PluginsForDesktop.html

I've been looking into integrating WebRTC as well and long story short, its going to be a pain. ;) Hoping someone reads this and points out a mistake in my answer or an alternative solution.

Taqtile

• Options

Back to the original question though...

@AndreaSassetti I think what you are looking for is this:
    https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/holographic/mixed_reality_capture_for_developers

Scroll down to 'Creating a custom mixed reality capture (MRC) recorder'

Taqtile

• Options

Hello,

I've captured the MRC live stream using the steps from here -> https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/holographic/mixed_reality_capture_for_developers

I've also managed to import the WebRTC from nugget webpage by downloading the nugget and importing it (I've import the dll from here -> webrtc.1.2.69\lib\netcore45) @mark_grossnickle maybe this will help you out :)

But I'm stuck with a few issues:

1) From MediaCapture I'm using StartRecordToStreamAsync and I'm storing the stream in InMemoryRandomAccessStream stream, did someone manage from here to send it to WebRTC ?

2) In Unity3D I've tried to used different assets to stream video, but all of them request the filePath and not a stream, I've tried a workarround to replace from StartRecordToStreamAsync in StartRecordToStorageFileAsync but when I give the path other errors occurs depending on the assert I'm using. The assets that I've used we're

• Options

Hello,

I've captured the MRC live stream using the steps from here -> https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/holographic/mixed_reality_capture_for_developers

I've also managed to import the WebRTC from nugget webpage by downloading the nugget and importing it (I've import the dll from here -> webrtc.1.2.69\lib\netcore45) @mark_grossnickle maybe this will help you out :)

But I'm stuck with a few issues:

1) From MediaCapture I'm using StartRecordToStreamAsync and I'm storing the stream in InMemoryRandomAccessStream stream, did someone manage from here to send it to WebRTC ?

2) In Unity3D I've tried to used different assets to stream video, but all of them request the filePath and not a stream, I've tried a workarround to replace from StartRecordToStreamAsync in StartRecordToStorageFileAsync but when I give the path other errors occurs depending on the assert I'm using. The assets that I've used we're

• Options

Hello,

we want to use the WebRTC from nuget with Unity and HoloLens.
    we tried to import dircetly in unity, but the editor didn't recogniced them.
    We tried also to install the package over nuget in visual studio, but we get the error that the packge does not work with .net 3.5 (or 4.6 if you use the unity beta 5.6)
    So, does anyone know how to use the WebRTC package? Do we have to modify the UWP-porject that unity compiles?
    Or could you share your code / solution?

• Options

Hello All,

Any advance or solution for use WebRTC (ORTC) in Unity with Hololens?

Regards.-

• Options

Hi All,

I installed WebRTC using Nuget package for the same purpose posted here, but did not find how to program it in c# to create video transmission, I want to get the same result as this simple that I found complicated : https://github.com/webrtc-uwp/ChatterBox
    Is there any simple code in c#?

Thank you

• Options

I have the same question as @HoloTec, I think. I am new to the UWP API/Windows programming in general, video streaming and WebRTC. What I'm aiming to do is create a 2D uwp-application that streams the video from the Hololens camera (without mixed reality, just the raw images) via WebRTC to another host. I was hoping to be able to get a good start by looking at the code for the Chatterbox application, a Voice/Video-over-IP app that uses WebRTC for UWP, but it is a bit to complicated to start out with.

If someone could point to any code example, tutorial or any other resource they think could help get me going it would be greatly appreciated.

• Options

I couldn't get this to work right now...

• Options

For anyone else out there attempting to get the NuGet WebRTC package working in Unity, I made a bit of progress.

First, I followed the instructions in https://channel9.msdn.com/Blogs/2p-start/Combining-Windows-10-features-with-Unity-games-in-your-own-plugin about how to create a plugin with a stub that could be integrated into Unity. After doing that process I had a plugin called WSAUnity (the example name in the tutorial). In that WSAUnity project, I used NuGet to install WebRTC, and made some simple hello-world code to make sure it could successfully import. I then rebuilt the plugin and returned to my Unity project.

In Unity, I went to Plugins/WSA and selected my WSAUnity.dll file (this is the instance of the plugin that is not a stub). Under the WSAPlayer settings, I made sure to set the stub plugin as Placeholder, and most importantly I selected "Don't process." This means that patching will be disabled during the build process, which was causing errors in Unity. See https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/windowsstore-plugins.html for details.

Normally the result would be that the generated project would crash on runtime when deployed on the HoloLens, but I then took the Visual Studio project generated by Unity (the one for the entire HoloLens app) and installed WebRTC via NuGet in that project. After doing so, it appears like my test script was able to successfully import and execute some code from the WebRTC NuGet package in the middle of a Unity app.

It may be that the package will disappear if I do further changes/rebuilding to the Unity project. In that case, it may be helpful to follow some of the instructions in http://www.what-could-possibly-go-wrong.com/unity-and-nuget/ to set up the project to always bring in the NuGet package during building.

• Options

An additional bit of information that I just found out, that was causing me a headache for days, was that it's important to call "WebRTC.SetPreferredVideoCaptureFormat(width, height, fps)", filling in values that match the capabilities of the device's camera. I had assumed that WebRTC would automatically try to use some valid video capture format, but I think it defaults to 640x480x30fps, even though the HoloLens does not have a capability for that width/height/fps. I had been pulling my hair out with a test UWP 2D desktop app successfully streaming video, but with the same app failing once deployed on the HoloLens. My desktop webcam could support 640x480x30fps so there was no issue.

Just wanted to share that so no one else has a similar struggle.

I'm currently working on putting together an example library that uses WebRTC and SocketIO to interact with the "libsourcey" library ( https://github.com/sourcey/libsourcey ). With luck I'll be able to have both a 2D UWP app and also a Unity app on the HoloLens streaming video to one of the test applications (webrtcrecorder) in libsourcey. If I am successful I will try to get the code cleaned up and put in a public repo so others can benefit.

• Options

Hi Dan!

Excellent work on getting your WebRTC client to work! I had a couple of questions for you:

1) Were you able to get this working directly from a hololens device or just using one of the emulators?
    2) If you did get on device, did you have any issues using the org.webrtc library? I'm getting errors initializing it: FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Runtime.WindowsRuntime, Version=4.0.11.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'.

Thanks again for all your work! I'm definitely going to check it out!

• Options

@longda said:
    Hi Dan!

Excellent work on getting your WebRTC client to work! I had a couple of questions for you:

1) Were you able to get this working directly from a hololens device or just using one of the emulators?
    2) If you did get on device, did you have any issues using the org.webrtc library? I'm getting errors initializing it: FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Runtime.WindowsRuntime, Version=4.0.11.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'.

Thanks again for all your work! I'm definitely going to check it out!

I was indeed able to get it working on a HoloLens device. When it comes to the org.webrtc library, I'm not sure exactly what the cause is of your error, but check to make sure that when you use NuGet to add the WebRTC package to your UWP plugin, that it doesn't appear as one of your references in the corresponding stub project. Also first verify if you're able to get the WebRTC code working in a UWP project (without Unity) first.

Some Googling suggests it's an inconsistency in your other NuGet packages: https://github.com/KSemenenko/ColorThief/issues/3

• Options

Thanks for the help Dan, I'll try this out today!

• Options

Oh interesting. I'm able to pull the plugin code and get the UWP app working fine on my HoloLens. As a next step, I tried pulling the Unity project and pushing that code to HoloLens with the generated Visual Studio project and I had some errors (see below) trying to connect with the WebRTC manager.

Is there something I'm missing? I'm pretty sure I have all the SDKs installed because other apps work but perhaps I need a specific version?

Error #1

Exception thrown: 'System.TypeLoadException' in Assembly-CSharp.dll
    'WinPluginTest.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Data\Users\DefaultAccount\AppData\Local\DevelopmentFiles\WinPluginTestVS.Debug_x86.dalong\System.Diagnostics.StackTrace.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    TypeLoadException: Could not find Windows Runtime type 'Org.WebRtc.RTCConfiguration'.
    at WSAUnity.Plugin.initAndStartWebRTC()
    at WebRTCManager.OnTestWebRTCInitButtonPressed()
    at UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCall.Invoke(Object[] args)
    at UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCallList.Invoke(Object[] parameters)
    at UnityEngine.UI.Button.Press()
    at UnityEngine.UI.Button.OnPointerClick(PointerEventData eventData)
    at UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute(IPointerClickHandler handler, BaseEventData eventData)
    at UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute[T](GameObject target, BaseEventData eventData, EventFunction`1 functor)
    (Filename: Line: 0)

Fix #1
    As a fix, I added the Nuget package for WebRTC 1.54.2 to the generated Unity solution. This then produces the following error output:

Error #2
    'WinPluginTest.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Data\Users\DefaultAccount\AppData\Local\DevelopmentFiles\WinPluginTestVS.Debug_x86.dalong\Org.WebRtc.winmd'. Module was built without symbols.
    Exception thrown: 'System.TypeLoadException' in WSAUnity.dll
    'WinPluginTest.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Data\Users\DefaultAccount\AppData\Local\DevelopmentFiles\WinPluginTestVS.Debug_x86.dalong\System.Diagnostics.StackTrace.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    TypeLoadException: Requested Windows Runtime type 'Org.WebRtc.RTCConfiguration' is not registered.
    at System.StubHelpers.StubHelpers.GetWinRTFactoryObject(IntPtr pCPCMD)
    at Org.WebRtc.RTCConfiguration..ctor()
    at UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute(IPointerClickHandler handler, BaseEventData eventData)
    at UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute[T](GameObject target, BaseEventData eventData, EventFunction`1 functor)

• Options

Hey Dan,

Good and bad news. I was able to get your UWP app from the plugin solution working fine on HoloLens but I've been having issues with the Visual Studio solution Unity generates.

The first issue (see below) is resolved by adding the WebRTC 1.54.2 package from Nuget but then it gets a "TypeLoadException: Requested Windows Runtime type 'Org.WebRtc.RTCConfiguration' is not registered." on the WebRTC

Is there something I might have missed on my end?

Current Error:

TypeLoadException: Requested Windows Runtime type 'Org.WebRtc.RTCConfiguration' is not registered.

Previous Error (fixed with Nuget):

TypeLoadException: Could not find Windows Runtime type 'Org.WebRtc.RTCConfiguration'.

• Options

Hey Dan,

Good and bad news. I was able to get your UWP app from the plugin solution working fine on HoloLens but I've been having issues with the Visual Studio solution Unity generates.

The first issue (see below) is resolved by adding the WebRTC 1.54.2 package from Nuget but then it gets a "TypeLoadException: Requested Windows Runtime type 'Org.WebRtc.RTCConfiguration' is not registered." on the WebRTC

Current Error:
    'WinPluginTest.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Data\Users\DefaultAccount\AppData\Local\DevelopmentFiles\WinPluginTestVS.Debug_x86.dalong\Org.WebRtc.winmd'. Module was built without symbols.

• Options

Hey Dan,

Current Error:

• Options

Hey @DanAndersen ,
    I really appreciate your pioneer work here!
    I'm currently looking into building an application with voice-chat Support and I'm wondering if your plugin also handles audio-Streaming? Or does it "only" handle video-Streaming?

Thanks in advance,
    Nik

• Options

Hi Dan,

thank you so much for your efforts with this and for sharing it with us :)
    I have been trying your project with our server configuration and so on, and everything works fine except for a weird bug: the stream I send is turned, my peer receives ir turned 90 degrees, although my local stream view is correct.

I have detected that it happens when I do the SetLocalDescription when I am about to send the offer/answer: for an instant it also flips in my local stream view, although it comes back to normal when I finish sending the offer/answer, but only in the local view, as the stream is sent flipped. On the other hand, the stream I receive from the peer has no problems.

I have reached this issue and it seems to have something to do with the CPU overuse detection, and there is even a workaround (at least for Android):
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/32116791/why-does-my-local-video-stream-rotate-during-calls

Sadly, in Hololens WebRTC you cannot set RTCPeerConnection constraints...
    Have you got this bug? Do you know to set these constraints?

Thanks again for your time!!
    Rodrigo.

• Options

@DanAndersen said:
    One more follow-up: I've successfully made/adapted a set of test applications that streams video from a Unity HoloLens app (using a UWP plugin) to a C++ desktop application that uses OpenCV to display each incoming frame in a GUI window. If anyone wants to use it as a reference when figuring out how to do your own WebRTC solutions, I've posted the code on GitHub:

Documentation about how to use each project: https://github.com/DanAndersen/webrtc-hololens-unity-docs

WebRTC signalling server: https://github.com/DanAndersen/webrtcrecorder-client-andersed

C++ desktop application to receive frames: https://github.com/DanAndersen/webrtc-mentor-client

Universal Windows plugin: https://github.com/DanAndersen/WSAUnity

Example Unity app using the plugin: https://github.com/DanAndersen/WinPluginTest

Hey I am usin your repo, I have completed the server setup and set up the URL however I am not able to run the sender and receiver app you had set, as soon as I launch the app, I get continous logs of "Symple:client :connecting"

• Options

Hello All,

Have you all find any solution regarding this ?

i need a video call with holograms same as like (Skype App)

Thanks in advanced

• Options

Hi , all i got a video in youtube regarding WebRtc i think we all need something similar , please take a look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeZqlBhy3rU , wondering how he acheived this using Unity or from Visual Studio native take a look