Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

What do I need to develop Hololens with MAC?

Hi, I am new to this and trying to install HoloLens in Mac.

1) https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/install_the_tools
the guide in the above link leads me to install Visual Studio 2017 and Select the Universal Windows Platform development workload/Select the Game Development with Unity workload.
However, Visual Studio 2017 is the exe extension file. Visual Studio 2017 for Mac does not seem to include Universal Windows Platform and Game Development with Unity workload.
am I correct?
In other words, do you not yet provide the direct install for mac and guide for mac yet?

2) It seems like I can use Parallels or other virtual machines to run window on mac and then download the Visual Studio 2017 with the exe extension file to set up.
However, Parallels for instance is not free and they are really bad in customer services. I prefer not to use them after many hours of hassel.
Does microsoft at this moment not provide any way for developers using mac to directly install things for HoloLens?
Is there any other way to install in any easier way?

Best Answer

• Options
    stepan_stulovstepan_stulov ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017 Answer ✓

Hey, @shk.

When you say Mac, do you mean MacBook the hardware or macOS the operating system?

I don't think it's possible at the moment to develop for the HoloLens under macOS (the operating system) but it is possible on MacBook/iMac (the hardware) running bootcamped Windows 10. You only need Windows 10 Pro for the emulator, because the emulator requires Hyper-V, which by the way is not so straight-forward to enable on a MacBook. You can use Home edition for on-device development.

From my personal experience emulator is not really essential. You wouldn't really be able to developer well without having seen the actual device . And once you have the device I'd say emulator is obsolete. I used the emulator maybe once and since then happily develop for HoloLens either directly in Unity Editor or on device.

I believe you can find a copy of Windows 10 Pro cheaper than 300 dollars.

Building the future of holographic navigation. We're hiring.

Answers

• Options
    shkshk
    edited May 2017

I am still curious with the above questions although I just had bootcamp
    installed with window.
    I have another question
    3) It seems like HoloLens emulator needs hyper-v, but I need window pro or above for the hyper-v?
    did everyone spent about 300 USD to get the window-pro just for the emulator?
    This seems like crazy.
    Trying out the SDK need so many things and money to even begin :/

• Options
    stepan_stulovstepan_stulov ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017 Answer ✓

Hey, @shk.

When you say Mac, do you mean MacBook the hardware or macOS the operating system?

I don't think it's possible at the moment to develop for the HoloLens under macOS (the operating system) but it is possible on MacBook/iMac (the hardware) running bootcamped Windows 10. You only need Windows 10 Pro for the emulator, because the emulator requires Hyper-V, which by the way is not so straight-forward to enable on a MacBook. You can use Home edition for on-device development.

From my personal experience emulator is not really essential. You wouldn't really be able to developer well without having seen the actual device . And once you have the device I'd say emulator is obsolete. I used the emulator maybe once and since then happily develop for HoloLens either directly in Unity Editor or on device.

I believe you can find a copy of Windows 10 Pro cheaper than 300 dollars.

Building the future of holographic navigation. We're hiring.

• Options

Hey, @stepan_stulov

Yes, I meant by the Mac and macOS.
    I tried on the HoloLens yesterday by attending at one of the festivals.
    I agree that it is difficult for the emulator to emulate the actual device.
    I guess I may one day get one haha.
    Thank you very much for the nice answer!!