Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Does it require VR-ready graphic cards to run a immersive app?

Immersive apps seem to run on the similar structure as Oculus Rift and Vive, which require VR-ready graphic cards to support features, such as direct mode, multi-res shading and so on.
I've noticed I must update the driver of my graphic card to the latest, but it doesn't mention the graphic card.
I wonder if a VR-ready graphic card is necessary or not?

Best Answer

• Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017 Answer ✓

We have only just started to find games with requirements for Direct X12. Halo Wars 2 for example. IMHO having the latest software drivers is mandatory, however having the latest Graphic card is probably not required.

Very often manufacturers offer new drivers for each game, but the Windows Mixed Reality Graphics card test of the Mixed Reality Portal will still run well even though the high end 60fps may not be available.

Performance tests do not make same requirements of games of apps.
    My PC have a NVidia GT750 TB which fails MR Portal test but still works with MR Portal software. This graphics card works perfectly for display on 4K UHD TV set playing with Halo Wars 2 for PC, a 4K video game.

First of all show me the name of a Windows MR commercial REAL app, game on Windows 10 that currently generates that 4K UHD throughput in 3D, because currently in 2017, they don't exist. Possibly we will see some games or app players in 2018.

If you decide to work on or Support Oculus Rift and Vive later on then buy the required NVidia GeForce GT 1080 card. My PC was Custom built with then required Extreme Graphics card for HoloLens Emulation and projects

Answers

• Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017 Answer ✓

We have only just started to find games with requirements for Direct X12. Halo Wars 2 for example. IMHO having the latest software drivers is mandatory, however having the latest Graphic card is probably not required.

Very often manufacturers offer new drivers for each game, but the Windows Mixed Reality Graphics card test of the Mixed Reality Portal will still run well even though the high end 60fps may not be available.

Performance tests do not make same requirements of games of apps.
    My PC have a NVidia GT750 TB which fails MR Portal test but still works with MR Portal software. This graphics card works perfectly for display on 4K UHD TV set playing with Halo Wars 2 for PC, a 4K video game.

First of all show me the name of a Windows MR commercial REAL app, game on Windows 10 that currently generates that 4K UHD throughput in 3D, because currently in 2017, they don't exist. Possibly we will see some games or app players in 2018.

If you decide to work on or Support Oculus Rift and Vive later on then buy the required NVidia GeForce GT 1080 card. My PC was Custom built with then required Extreme Graphics card for HoloLens Emulation and projects

• It's great to hear there's no need to upgrade my graphic card to VR-ready ones.
    Thanks, bro.