Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

How to display the Room

Hi.
Please tell me how to display the Room to HoloLens Emulator. Move the Unity project in HoloLens Emulator, I want to display a bedroom in the background, but the way I do not know at all. Please tell me.
Thansk.

Best Answer

• Answer ✓

Do you want to display a virtual room? or the real room in your environment? The color black in the emulator represents the background real view when running on a Real Hololens device.
    If you want to display a virtual room, use Unity.

Dwight Goins
    CAO & Founder| Independent Architect | Trainer and Consultant | Sr. Enterprise Architect
    MVP | MCT | MCSD | MCPD | SharePoint TS | MS Virtual TS |Windows 8 App Store Developer | Linux Gentoo Geek | Raspberry Pi Owner | Micro .Net Developer | Kinect For Windows Device Developer
    http://dgoins.wordpress.com

Answers

• Answer ✓

Do you want to display a virtual room? or the real room in your environment? The color black in the emulator represents the background real view when running on a Real Hololens device.
    If you want to display a virtual room, use Unity.

Dwight Goins
    CAO & Founder| Independent Architect | Trainer and Consultant | Sr. Enterprise Architect
    MVP | MCT | MCSD | MCPD | SharePoint TS | MS Virtual TS |Windows 8 App Store Developer | Linux Gentoo Geek | Raspberry Pi Owner | Micro .Net Developer | Kinect For Windows Device Developer

• Because it does not have actual machine with at HoloLens Emulator, we want to display the Room that comes with the Emulator.
    Thanks.

• I second that. Without rendering a virtual room behind the hololens app, it's impossible to really understand how the spatial mapping results relates to the actual room you loaded into the emulator.

• Any advices ?

• The first tutorial shows how to do this in the Spatial mapping exercise. when you are moving the selected hologram, it shows the wireframe of the virtual room. See here for more info.

Dwight Goins

• gorgepirgorgepir
    edited April 2016

I am not sure if I understood the question correctly, but If you want to see the real room (or at least the default wireframe captured by the hololens), you can always play around in the Device Portal of the emulator.
    When using the emulator, look at the right and click on the little sphere

This will open a browser (work perfectly with Chrome, may not work as well on other browsers from my experience). Here you have plenty to play around with, but to answer your question (if I understood it correctly), go to the 3d view page, select your settings and click update.

This is what I had with the default bedroom, and gives you an idea of what the bedroom looks like. You can zoom in and out and move around with the mouse.

After that, definitely go around and play with other settings. I think everything works fine for me except for the live capturing of the mixed-reality, but if you record and then play back you can see what the camera was looking at which is still quite interesting.

• gorgepirgorgepir
    edited April 2016

On second reading, maybe you meant you want to see the actual room in hololens emulator as well? In the using the HoloLens emulator webpage it says "If you want to see the simulated room in the HoloLens emulator, you will need to update your app to render the spatial mapping mesh in the scene", but I am thinking that it would still be the wireframe and not actual room.

• gorgepirgorgepir
    edited April 2016

I tried opening the installed .xef files with Kinect Studio without any success to get a glimpse of the actual room. If anyone knows how to do that, it could give you some help.

• Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016

@gorgepir said:
    I tried opening the installed .xef files with Kinect Studio without any success to get a glimpse of the actual room. If anyone knows how to do that, it could give you some help.

I think they are special frames. I get this error when checking the file validity

Kinect Studio clip conversion tool (2.0.1410.19000).

Processing 1/1] \kinectFiles\LivingRoom.xef => \kinectFiles\LivingRoom2.xef
    Error:No valid streams to convert in file \kinectFiles\LivingRoom.xef
    Done!
    Error: Conversion failed

edited April 2016

To display the Model you can see in the Portal, as you describe above, Clicking "3D viewer" after pressing "Update". Move around then "Save". You will see a message saying you have a download file "SRmesh.obj". Open folder and Double Click. Ignore warning message about .obj files. Click apps and select "3D Builder". Click "get started" and up pops a picture in 3D. So maybe file format is 3D Builder format??????. Now just need to figure what's going on in 3D Builder picture.
    Update
    Just Unity imported asset namely SRmesh.obj. It can be seen in Unity Player, but still cannot hack or read the Kinect Studio files. LivingRoom.xef

• Thank you so much everyone. I can undestand!
    Thansk.

• To display the Model you can see in the Portal, as you describe above, Clicking "3D viewer" after pressing "Update". Move around then "Save". You will see a message saying you have a download file "SRmesh.obj". Open folder and Double Click. Ignore warning message about .obj files. Click apps and select "3D Builder". Click "get started" and up pops a picture in 3D. So maybe file format is 3D Builder format??????. Now just need to figure what's going on in 3D Builder picture?

• To display the Model you can see in the Portal, as you describe above, Clicking "3D viewer" after pressing "Update". Move around then "Save". You will see a message saying you have a download file "SRmesh.obj". Open folder and Double Click. Ignore warning message about .obj files. Click apps and select "3D Builder". Click "get started" and up pops a picture in 3D. So maybe file format is 3D Builder format??????. Now just need to figure what's going on in 3D Builder picture?

edited April 2016

Finally I have the 3D View, saved from portal as "SRmesh.obj (2)",the DefaultRoom.
    Now Import into Unity using Assets -> Import Asset select downloaded "SRmesh.obj (2)",dragged from Project area to "Hierarchy"
    Basically I had to resize the 3D image down after dragging it onto the Unity Scene. Scaled to 0.3 for X,Y,Z axis, this is 30% of original size

See picture below.
    l

The "SRmesh.obj (2)" Inspector show the Transform position, X=2.5,Y=1.5, z=2.5 and most importantly the scales applied to make the 3D background, fit with the Origami Collection

Now "Build" the whole lot in the pretested directory in Unity and then Compile and Debug,run in VS Studio 2015 HoloLens Emulator.
    See picture below

If you look closely at the 3D Portal Default Room output. This similar to the HL Emulator picture above.

If you magnify the 3D Portal Default Room output, by changing the Scale from 0.5 to 10.0 you will see the wire mesh used to make this picture similar to the Spatial Mapping Draw Mesh command.

Summary

Lessons learnt are:-
    1 That to output from HoloLens is black and white mesh, that is jagged edges.
    2 Scaling in Holographic and HoloLens will change perception of everthing relative to your current project camera