Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Recognize a marker and use it as a relative coordinate system for displaying holograms

Hi,
I'm trying to build an application that recognises a marker in the scene (qr code or anything else) and places some holograms using that marker as a reference (I don't need the holograms to be displayed on top of the marker, but anywhere I want in the scene). Moreover, I need that the holograms can be "anchored" to the marker, so that once I move the marker in the scene the holograms would follow it (keeping their relative position information). Unfortunately, I have been looking online and I have found nothing so useful. Do you guys have an idea on how I can implement such an app and which technologies and toolkit could be helpful?
Thanks!

Answers

• Hi, @Bax

What you need is VuMark feature by Vuforia. You may additionally back your coordinate system with either Extended Tracking feature of the VuMarks or by simply adding your own WorldAnchor once VuMarks' tracking has kicked in. You can always anchor an empty game object to the VuMark and position your stuff inside of the game object so everything stays relative.

There are a million variations of combining VuMarks, WorldAnchors and all kinds of nesting. You will have to make one the best suits you.

Building the future of holographic navigation. We're hiring.

• james_ashleyjames_ashley ✭✭✭✭

@stepan_stulov I haven't tried Vuforia in HoloLens for a few months. Are the VuMarks working better these days? You seem to have had more recent experience with them.

James Ashley
    VS 2017 v5.3.3, Unity 2017.3.0f3, MRTK 2017.1.2, W10 17063
    Microsoft MVP, Freelance HoloLens/MR Developer
    www.imaginativeuniversal.com

• Hey, @james_ashley

I have tried them a few days ago, correct. They seem to be rather sensitive to distance and are somewhat jumpy when moving the printed VuMark.

I wouldn't rely on VuMarks for continuous tracking, but nor you need them to do that. You can power your tracking by the World Anchors that are initialised from the VuMarks. That way you have the best of both worlds, positioning freedom of the VuMarks and stability of WorldAnchors.

• Have you ever gotten problems trying to upload the target image to a Vuforia database? I am stuck on the "Uploading target..." dialog. The loading bar reaches the end and it seems that the upload has been successful, but after it reaches the end the webpage won't load anything else and get stuck. I'm following this tutorial, by the way:

https://hololens.reality.news/how-to/hololens-dev-102-create-imagetarget-with-vuforia-set-up-camera-system-0175899/

Any thoughts?

• stepan_stulovstepan_stulov ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017

Hey, @Bax

I have only tried uploading the example image targets and VuMarks (chips, stones and the different VuMarks Vuforia provides). I haven't tried using any custom targets yet. So far everything worked fine. Perhaps try a different browser?

Cheers

• Tried with different browser! Now it works! Hopefully, I will be able to recognise my marker now!

Thank you @stepan_stulov !