Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Car Simulation

I'm trying to have holograms appear on or around the road as I drive in a car. Is it possible to do this? I've placed an object with an anchor and it seems fairly stable up until I turn away from it and then it starts to drift. Any input on this?

Answers

• I think the spatial mapping would change too quickly for it to recognize where you are and how far you traveled. Or are you talking about just inside the care? That seems like it would work.

Taqtile

• james_ashleyjames_ashley ✭✭✭✭

This would obviously work much better if you placed a second HoloLens on the hood of the car and used the Sharing Service to stream this to the driver's HoloLens. That way you can sync all the spatial mapping for a better view. If you're going above 55 miles an hour, though, I'd definitely recommend a third HoloLens out the rear window as well -- otherwise it could get dangerous.

James Ashley
    VS 2017 v5.3.3, Unity 2017.3.0f3, MRTK 2017.1.2, W10 17063
    Microsoft MVP, Freelance HoloLens/MR Developer
    www.imaginativeuniversal.com

• @james_ashley There is no way the hololens would be able to track spatial mappings at any significant speed, let alone 55mph.

Taqtile

@mark_grossnickle are you sure about that? I saw an after effects video demonstrating hololens in a fighter jet. And another one (this one was done with Cinema 4D, I believe) demonstrating hololens being used to scan the chest cavity of a patient before surgery. Given that evidence, 55 mph should be no problem -- as long as you have that extra hololens device hanging out the back window, of course.

James Ashley

• @james_ashley Sure, you could wear a hololens in a fighter jet to display more information to the pilot but that is not the same as the hololens being placed on the 'hood' of the jet to scan the area in front of it. If you wanted to wear the hololens in a car and have other sensor data projected to the driver (directions, speed, etc similar to how some cars project on their windshields) that would work. But it sounds as though he wants to use the hololens as the car's vision... that won't work.

Not sure how scanning a chest cavity of a patient before surgery has anything to do with the hololens refresh rate, ability to have accurate vision outdoors, or being able to spatially recognize items while moving at 55mph.

Also not sure how an extra hololens hanging out the back window helps anything.

Taqtile

• Couldn't I, in theory just map out the area by walking around it with the Hololens on first, then just load up that space once I get in the car? Or will it still be confused by the different looking environment?

edited June 2017

I've actually lost track of who is pulling who's leg at this point. So seriously -- driving with a hololens is a **really bad ** idea. At any speed. A car is a lethal weapon -- we don't want to treat it like a toy.

James Ashley

• trzytrzy ✭✭✭

Does HoloLens actually work in a car? Safety considerations aside, I would imagine that tracking would not work well due to the fact that the scenery changes so rapidly. I assume HoloLens largely assumes that environmental geometry is not changing too rapidly or searches for interesting feature points that remain static.

• mr0ngmr0ng ✭✭

I've tried using the HoloLens extensively inside a car. Bottom line is that it doesn't work. Not just because of the visual tracking - but all the forces of acceleration of the car makes it impossible to get stability. Any bumps in the road, turns, or even regular swaying of vehicles that our brains compensate for... it's not compensated for in the HoloLens.

• I'm not looking to have this work on real roads, I'm just basically trying to create a test track where one could drive slowly (<= 15 mph) and learn to avoid holographic obstacles. So it's basically the same as running (which it can handle), but the interior of the car and distance seem to be the major hangups.