Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Hololens HoloSketch: Trouble Viewing 3D Assets from OneDrive

edited April 2017 in Questions And Answers

Hi,

Wondering if anyone has had any luck using the new HoloSketch app: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/case_study_-_building_holosketch,_a_spatial_layout_and_ux_sketching_app_for_hololens

I've managed to upload PNGs and JPGs into OneDrive and those do appear in the HoloSketch app, but for some reason, none of my 3D asset uploads are working. I tried building assets as suggested in the page above through Unity and also uploaded normal .fbx files. The files show up on my Hololens OneDrive app but they don't show up in the HoloSketch app.

What else can I try?

Tech specs:
-Using a windows machine
-Running Unity 5.6.0f3 Personal 64 bit
-Hololens is updated to most recent updates as of today April 23rd

Here's what I see on the OneDrive app on hololens:
-There are three kinds of files: 1) a baseball JPG that DOES appear on the HoloSketch app, 2) a base_ball asset created via Unity using the steps suggested by Microsoft and 3) a standard FBX file bear-fbx.FBX I downloaded just for testing.

Here's what shows up in the HoloSketch app, only the image (#1):

Thanks!

Answers

• Hi, could you please double check if you have assigned the same unique bundle asset name to the prefab AND thumbnail image? (Step 9 and 10, on the bottom of the inspector panel)

• @cre8ivepark said:
    Hi, could you please double check if you have assigned the same unique bundle asset name to the prefab AND thumbnail image? (Step 9 and 10, on the bottom of the inspector panel)

Hi Dong, I am having the same problem. I have double checked the asset name to the prefab and the thumbnail image. I have also tried the latest beta version and 5.5.2 f1 version of the Unity. Also, I was able to successfully view it at Hololens through 3D viewer beta app but HoloSketch fails for some reason. I am attaching the fbx and some assetbundles if you want to give it a try yourself.

• @cre8ivepark thanks so much for your reply!

Though the name of the objects are different in Unity - I definitely assigned both the prefab and thumbnail image the same unique bundle asset name before building the bundle...

I guess I'm not clear on whether it's a packaging error on the Unity side, or a script problem, or a problem with OneDrive syncing. Not sure if it's of any use, but I'll attach the bundles I was testing.

Any other ideas of what I could try?

• @CMU_design for the current version I believe you will need to use 5.5.2f or a 5.5 version of Unity to create the asset bundles. There was a change to the serialized structure for Unity prefabs going from 5.5 to 5.6 that breaks importing AssetBundles. I will be upgrading the app to 5.6 in the near future but for now you will need to export the asset bundles with 5.5.2.

At this point we only support AssetBundles for 3D asset imports and not raw FBX.

• @paseb said:
    @CMU_design for the current version I believe you will need to use 5.5.2f or a 5.5 version of Unity to create the asset bundles. There was a change to the serialized structure for Unity prefabs going from 5.5 to 5.6 that breaks importing AssetBundles. I will be upgrading the app to 5.6 in the near future but for now you will need to export the asset bundles with 5.5.2.

At this point we only support AssetBundles for 3D asset imports and not raw FBX.

I have tried to create an asset bundle with 5.5.2f but I am having the same problem. My asset is not showing up in the onedrive panel in holosketch. Is there way to open this bundle in Unity? or can you post an example bundle so that we can be sure that it is not about our device. I am attaching mine.

Thanks,
    Meric

• You need to also include the manifest file with the asset bundle. See the attached zip file. I'll look to add a script to import an asset bundle easily for verification.

• I saw that the GitHub project was updated to Unity 5.6, but I am still having the problems there as well (similarly on the 5.5.x builds). I was, however, able to take the script from that project and use it in a new project for Unity 5.4.5f1 and from there was able to successfully get the bundles to show up in OneDrive

• I'll be pushing a new build out for Unity 5.6 this week hopefully. I was able to create an asset bundle with 5.5 and get it to work but since we're using asset bundles we are have a dependency on the serialization format for prefabs. I was out the last two weeks so I apologize for the late response.

• Should this work now in 5.6? I can't get the bundles to show up in onedrive, but somehow I managed to get it in on 5.4.5.