Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

How to calculate the best Stabilization Plane position ?

I currently have the problem , that my Holograms are jittering alot. I only have 3 cubes in my Scene and its all fine, till i begin to move around a bit, than those cubes are jittering like hell.
So i assigned an simple script which sets the Stabilization Plane position to the Center of the first cube, it stopped jittering... I thought i could solve this problem by assigning the same script to the other two cubes but that just made it much more worse ... it looked like an firework... So how do i calculate the best position for the Stabilization Plane ? Are there already any scripts for ?

Best Answer

• genargenar
    Answer ✓

@stepan_stulov

Thanks for your fast answer ! :)

I already read the article and also tried the samples at the end but i noticed that its somehow complete different than the Stabilization Planes from the Holograms App.
    When i compare those, i see very clear differences. In the Hologram App it doesnt really matter how much Hologramms you place. Somehow they manage it to Display them smooth. In the sample and also my own programm i have much less Hologramms and even when i use stabilization planes some of them are still jittering. The same happens in the samples... So how do they do that ? O.o

Answers

• stepan_stulovstepan_stulov ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017

Hey, @genar

It may have looked like a firework because your stabilization plane "couldn't decide" on which cube to focus, being set every frame to multiple objects.

There are scripts in HoloToolkit. As far as I remember, there are different modes/strategies of setting your stabilization plane. The first switches the plane onto an object with a collider that you gazed onto. The second simply calculate average point of all the objects of interest simultaneously. And the third simply keeps the plane at fixed distance from your head. Additionally, some of these strategies, don't remember which, apply smoothening to the plane position.

There is no one way and some say setting stabilization plane is an art and is very specific to your app. This is a good read:

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/case_study_-_using_the_stabilization_plane_to_reduce_holographic_turbulence

For your case I suppose when you're far enough from all the cubes you could simply set the stabilization plane to the average point but switch the strategy to one-object-at-a-time for when you're close enough. Or maybe do the switching between the strategies no based on distance but on how many cubes are within the field of view.

Building the future of holographic navigation. We're hiring.

• genargenar
    Answer ✓

@stepan_stulov

Thanks for your fast answer ! :)

I already read the article and also tried the samples at the end but i noticed that its somehow complete different than the Stabilization Planes from the Holograms App.
    When i compare those, i see very clear differences. In the Hologram App it doesnt really matter how much Hologramms you place. Somehow they manage it to Display them smooth. In the sample and also my own programm i have much less Hologramms and even when i use stabilization planes some of them are still jittering. The same happens in the samples... So how do they do that ? O.o