Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Problems running Hololens Emulator 10.0.14393.0

I've tried this on two different machines: a desktop machine and a laptop machine, and both are giving me this same error:

The error states

• that the Hololens Emulator failed to start.
  • Synthetic 3D Display Controller failed to Power On with error "Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service." (0x800705AA)

The thing is, I have plenty of system resources: 32 GB RAM, 1 TB drive.
I've seen this problem with both Visual Studio 2017 as well as Visual 2015 Update 3. I've installed Unity 5.6.2 from the store.unity.com/download, and I've ensured that I have fixed all troubleshooting issues outlined from the "Install the tools" site.

Any help getting over this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Tam Bui

Tagged:

Best Answer

• TamBuiTamBui
    Answer ✓

I finally got this resolved. The issue was that on both my laptop and my desktop setup, the GPU just wasn't powerful enough (Intel HD Graphics 4600 & 530). I moved my development to a Surface Book which has an NVidia GeForce GPU, and all is well now!

P.S. Sorry for the spam comments above, but I couldn't find a way to delete them in this forum.

Answers

• james_ashleyjames_ashley ✭✭✭✭

Tam,

Have you already tried going through Patrick's proposed solutions in this thread? https://forums.hololens.com/discussion/396/unable-to-launch-hololens-emulator

James Ashley
    VS 2017 v5.3.3, Unity 2017.3.0f3, MRTK 2017.1.2, W10 17063
    Microsoft MVP, Freelance HoloLens/MR Developer
    www.imaginativeuniversal.com

• James,

I'm still not able to get it to work. Following Patrick's instructions, I uninstalled/re-installed Hyper-V using the reboot steps. After re-enabling Hyper-V, I started getting a new error from the Hololens Emulator:

This happened on both systems that I am testing: laptop and desktop machine. I uninstalled/re-installed the Hololens Emulator, and noticed that the network adapter problem was still occurring. So I uninstalled/re-installed it again, but this time I also deleted the VM from Hyper-V (I'm thinking uninstalling Hololens Emulator did not uninstall the VM). After re-installing the emulator, I went to VS2017 to deploy the Origami test project that I am trying to get to run on the emulator, and again I got the same error that I started out with. This error shows up on both devices:

Laptop:
    Windows 10 Enterprise
    100GB+ disk space
    32 GB RAM
    Intel HD Graphics 530 (No other video card or graphics source)
    VS2015 Update 3

• Universal Windows App Development Tools
      • Windows 10 SDK 10.0.14393.0
        Unity 5.6.2f1
        Hololens Emulator 10.0.14393.0
        BIOS:
        XD enabled

Desktop:
    Windows 10 Enterprise
    500GB+ disk space
    32 GB RAM
    Intel HD Graphics 4600 (No other video card or graphics source)
    VS2017

• Universal Windows App Development Tools
      • Windows 10 SDK 10.0.14393.0
        Unity 5.6.2f1
        Hololens Emulator 10.0.14393.0
        BIOS:
    • Intel Virtualization Technology (VT) is enabled

• Couldn't find any setting for Intel XD/NX bit

I'm attaching the emulator logs that I found from %LOCALAPPDATA%\Temp\emulator as well.

Regards,
    Tam

• I have just tried Patrick's proposed solution on two different systems and it does not fix the problem. After uninstalling/reinstalling Hyper-V, the Hololens emulator becomes unusable and gives me a different error:

Even after uninstalling/re-installing the Hololens emulator, I continued to get the above error. It wasn't until I deleted the VM that it got past this error (I'm assuming uninstalling the emulator does not cleanly uninstall the VM). After getting past this issue, I continued to get the original error that I posted after I deploy the Origami solution from VS2017.

Desktop Machine:

• Windows 10 Enterprise
    • 32 GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 4600 (no other video/graphics source)
    • VS 2017, Universal App Development Tools, SDK 10.0.14393.0
    • Unity 5.6.2f1, Hololens Emulator 10.0.14393.0
    • BIOS: Intel VT enabled, couldn't find any settings for Intel XD/NX

Laptop Machine:

• Windows 10 Enterprise
    • 32 GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 530 (no other video/graphics source)
    • VS 2015 Update 3, Universal App Development Tools, SDK 10.0.14393.0
    • BIOS: Intel XD enabled, couldn't find any settings for Intel VT

Attaching the logs from the %localappdata%/temp/emulator folder, in case there is something useful in there for you.

Regards,
    Tam

• I've been trying to post a response, but I keep getting blocked stating that my comment needs to be approved. I'm not sure why.

• I have just tried Patrick's proposed solution on two different systems and it does not fix the problem. After uninstalling/reinstalling Hyper-V, the Hololens emulator becomes unusable and gives me a different error:

Even after uninstalling/re-installing the Hololens emulator, I continued to get the above error. It wasn't until I deleted the VM that it got past this error (I'm assuming uninstalling the emulator does not cleanly uninstall the VM). After getting past this issue, I continued to get the original error that I posted after I deploy the Origami solution from VS2017.

Desktop Machine:

• Windows 10 Enterprise

Laptop Machine:

• Windows 10 Enterprise

Regards,
    Tam

Desktop Machine:

• Windows 10 Enterprise

Laptop Machine:

• Windows 10 Enterprise

Attaching the logs from the %localappdata%/temp/emulator folder, in case there is something useful in there for you.

Regards,
    Tam

Desktop Machine:

• Windows 10 Enterprise

Laptop Machine:

• Windows 10 Enterprise

Regards,
    Tam

Desktop Machine:

• Windows 10 Enterprise

Laptop Machine:

• Windows 10 Enterprise

Regards,
    Tam

Desktop Machine:

• Windows 10 Enterprise

Laptop Machine:

• Windows 10 Enterprise

Regards,
    Tam

Desktop Machine:

• Windows 10 Enterprise

Laptop Machine:

• Windows 10 Enterprise

Regards,
    Tam

Desktop Machine:

• Windows 10 Enterprise

Laptop Machine:

• Windows 10 Enterprise

Regards,
    Tam

• TamBuiTamBui
    Answer ✓

I finally got this resolved. The issue was that on both my laptop and my desktop setup, the GPU just wasn't powerful enough (Intel HD Graphics 4600 & 530). I moved my development to a Surface Book which has an NVidia GeForce GPU, and all is well now!

P.S. Sorry for the spam comments above, but I couldn't find a way to delete them in this forum.

• Well, it worked for only one day. As I continued to work through training tutorials, and a few restarts of my system, I found that once again this is not working. On the Surface Book device, starting the the Hololens Emulator 10.0.14393.0 VM is producing the exact same error as stated on the other two devices, "Insufficient resources exists etc. etc. etc." :'(