Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Can I force my computer to use my Acer MR headset?

When I start up the mixed reality portal, it tells me my CPU is below spec and it won't let me continue. My computer runs Oculus Rift apps no problem, and even though it tells me my CPU is below the recommended requirements in Oculus, it doesn't stop me from continuing anyway. Can I bypass the setup and use my headset anyway?

Best Answer

Answers

• @iBrews thank you for the feedback. We'd like to learn more about what's happening so we can try to help.
    1. Can you share a screenshot of the system check?
    2. If the details on the system check don't match what's in your machine, can you share those too?
    3. Can you also share your OS Build number? (Settings > System > About > OS Build)
    4. We might need you to submit feedback to get more details, but no need to do that yet.

• iBrewsiBrews
    edited July 2017

@LukeOR Not sure what you mean by a system check. See attached for a screenshot of my system information and the error I get with the Mixed Reality Portal. Let me know if you need more. Also note that I have a GTX 970 in this machine (doesn't seem to show up in the system information)

• @iBrews I meant your equivalent of the attached.
    The file created by Dxdiag > Save All Information... would be useful too.

• Attached the Dxdiag. I can't access the Mixed Reality Portal system information page anymore because I bypassed it by entering Developer mode. I've also attached the screen I usually get when I try to start Mixed Reality with my headset plugged in.

Funnily enough, occasionally it works and everything works absolutely fine-- no juddering or lag or any problems at all. Inevitably at some point it crashes and I'm back to being unable to get in there.

• @iBrews thank you for the extra data.

Windows Mixed Reality requires the AVX instruction set. Unfortunately the Dxdiag data suggests the CPU in this case, W3670 aka Westmere, doesn't support AVX instructions.

• Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017

Hi @iBrews
    You can find if AVX is supported with the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool
    For my custom make Desktop the CPU this output is shown with the AVX highlighted

My Processor is Intel® Core™ i5-4460 Processor
    6M Cache, up to 3.40 GHz

Looking at the specification my processor Instruction Extension is
    SSE4.1/4.2, AVX 2.0 and for your W3670 is simply SSE4.2

Running the test on your CPU would be interesting

• iBrewsiBrews
    edited July 2017

@LukeOR @Jimbohalo10 guess what? My CPU passed the AVX test, and every other test in the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool. See attached. And again, since I bypassed the initial entry of the Windows Mixed Reality portal by enabling developer options, sometimes the Mixed Reality portal starts up and runs perfectly smoothly in my headset-- no problems at all. But also seemingly for no reason it crashes, or never starts up. Any other ideas?

• Thanks @FranklinChen , I checked with CPU-Z and you are correct, AVX is missing. Is there another workaround, or will this CPU never function stably with Windows Mixed Reality?

• FranklinChenFranklinChen admin
    edited July 2017

@iBrews No workaround, some functions rely on this instruction, please consider upgrading the CPU hardware. Check out the recommended specs in here

• Hello, i'm experiencing the same problem, and I have a question. I dont have much money for upgrading my CPU, so what's the minimum generation I can upgrade to? I believe I've seen the system specs say Haswell, but I've read that every generation Sandy Bridge and on supports AVX

• Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

@YungYoungster said:
    Hello, i'm experiencing the same problem, and I have a question. I dont have much money for upgrading my CPU, so what's the minimum generation I can upgrade to? I believe I've seen the system specs say Haswell, but I've read that every generation Sandy Bridge and on supports AVX

see intel website Intel-Core-i5-3350P AVX (Advanced Vector Extensions)

You will have to check the motherboard supports upgrade and the bios supports the new processor. Upgrading requires advanced hardware skills.

Some test programs gives wrong results, as above, and says its working when not.