Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

How to do navigation/manipulation gestures in immersive controller ?

I wrote a simple test app that can rotate an object via navigation gestures and move and object via manipulation gestures, all in HoloLens.

I would like to port the same app into the immersive environment, but don't know the equivalent buttons/keys for navigation/manipulation for the motion controller (or the simulated keyboard/xbox controller).

(Note: as an example, airtap gesture in HoloLens can be performed via the 'A' button on the xbox controller. But how about tap-and-hold ?)

If anyone knows, please help! Thanks!

Best Answer

• Options
    ahalimahalim ✭✭
    Answer ✓

In addition, the holotoolkit (from MR250 project) already has its InputManager processing the bumper+trigger+rightStick as input to navigation event, so this is even better, no need for extra codes and messing around with InteractionManager. You just need to install the navigation handler interface implementation.
    The codes work as-is for both hololens and mr.

Answers

• Options

Try this page Advanced HoloLens Emulator and Mixed Reality Simulator ... The HoloLens
    and the right mouse button held down or the Right or left triggers.
    But you will find that the Xbox 360 wired controllers act different to the Xbox One controllers as they have two sets of triggers Right button and right trigger.

• Options
    ahalimahalim ✭✭

Thanks for reply.
    The trigger only gives you the hold info. We still need the position/rotation to process the navigation/manipulation. I am guessing it will have to be a combination of trigger and bumper+left-stick or something like this. I will experiment more.

• Options
    ahalimahalim ✭✭

After further experimenting, I finally made it worked. Here is what I did:
    (My MR environment is simulated with xbox one controller)

• Hooked for events from InteractionManager, looking for controller input's selectPress which is the xbox controller's trigger button
    • Used state.propetieslocation.grip.TryGetPosition to get the position of the controller. This means the user can move the controller around with the bumper+leftStick
    • With these 2 pieces of info, I can rotate the object now in MR.

Overall, the app can choose what the button combinations it wants to be used as navigation. Since grip is not possible with the xbox controller, I just decided to use the trigger or A button instead.

• Options
    ahalimahalim ✭✭
    Answer ✓

In addition, the holotoolkit (from MR250 project) already has its InputManager processing the bumper+trigger+rightStick as input to navigation event, so this is even better, no need for extra codes and messing around with InteractionManager. You just need to install the navigation handler interface implementation.
    The codes work as-is for both hololens and mr.