Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Stationary Experience

If I wanted to create a stationary experience where I'm not reading in data from the depth sensors, how do I do that?

Best Answer

Answers

• edited July 2017

I'm trying to make an app that works outdoors as a proof of concept (although I'm setting a goal of only having it work in one particular area that doesn't change much). Imagine going down a track of land with holograms viewable from a fair distance as you move. I find that I keep running into problems with things drifting, so I'm thinking the depth sensors are getting confused. If I could just use my starting position as an origin and have everything be placed a certain distance from it, that would be great, but whether I simply place them at a relative distance in Unity or use Anchors, there's a fair amount of drifting that takes place.

Now I'm thinking that one possible solution is replacing the depth sensor data with input from a gps to continuously update the position of the hololens, but to do that I obviously need hologram placement to be fully functional even without the typical depth sensors.

I've tried using markers with Vuforia with mixed results (the holograms seemed to be pretty unstable). I'm also trying to allow visibility from a fair distance away, so not sure if it can work with that. Also, don't you need spatial mapping in order to utilize Vuforia?

• Hey, @TetraTalon

I'm afraid HoloLens is simply designed with indoors in mind.

Building the future of holographic navigation. We're hiring.

• @stepan_stulov Yeah, but did you see the video where this guys cuts his bushes with the help of HoloLens? It's hilarious :D

• @stepan_stulov said:
    Hey, @TetraTalon

I'm afraid HoloLens is simply designed with indoors in mind.

Unfortunately, yes. Just trying to push things to their conceivable limit :smiley:

• Peter_NZPeter_NZ ✭✭✭

We have been developing a Hololens application for AEC so we have been doing a lot of experimentation in this area (e.g. outside, large inside areas, solving drift issues). Unfortunately, even in the best of environments you will get some Holographic drift and outside you get a lot of drift for example I placed a multi-storey hologram of a building on a bare section - and that was moving around almost continuously.

I don't think integrating a GPS is the best solution as they aren't that accurate, but you might be better off integrating a Lidar device. Then you can position and reposition your Holograms based on the relative position as determined by the Lidar. We haven't done this as yet with our product - but we may do so in the future

• @Peter_NZ said:
    We have been developing a Hololens application for AEC so we have been doing a lot of experimentation in this area (e.g. outside, large inside areas, solving drift issues). Unfortunately, even in the best of environments you will get some Holographic drift and outside you get a lot of drift for example I placed a multi-storey hologram of a building on a bare section - and that was moving around almost continuously.

I don't think integrating a GPS is the best solution as they aren't that accurate, but you might be better off integrating a Lidar device. Then you can position and reposition your Holograms based on the relative position as determined by the Lidar. We haven't done this as yet with our product - but we may do so in the future

Interesting. I guess it's good to hear I'm not the only one experiencing this. We're looking at using Differential GPS to get a more accurate reading. I hadn't even thought of using Lidar. What is the AEC btw?

• Peter_NZPeter_NZ ✭✭✭

Architecture, Engineering & Construction