Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Hitting Play in Unity Editor results in black screen

Windows Insider Version: 16241
Unity Version: 5.6.1p1 MRTP9
Visual Studio: Community 2017

• Mixed Reality Portal works fine
  • Acer Headset shows Cliff House perfectly
  • No errors or anything shown on screen

When running a blank scene, I see that my Acer headset is correctly tracking (ie the camera moves when the headset does) but inside the headset is black. If I build a UWP app and run through visual studio it shows up correctly in the headset.

While it works, this is incredibly inefficient to work with as I want to be able to quickly make changes within the editor, hit play and flip the visor down to see the results. Is this the intended workflow or am I doing something wrong in Unity?

Answers

• Now sure. I know this is a known bug in Build 16241. See this thread - https://forums.hololens.com/discussion/7926/unity-play-mode-bug-with-16241#latest

• @Jesse_McCulloch said:
    Now sure. I know this is a known bug in Build 16241. See this thread - https://forums.hololens.com/discussion/7926/unity-play-mode-bug-with-16241#latest

I thought that issue was only for Unity 2017.2 beta and not for the MRTP, black screen issue also occurred in prev version of Windows (not sure number).

Editor doesn't crash though, the screen is just black but tracks camera

• Based on the response from the Microsoft Representative in the link I added, it's an OS level bug... I wish I had better info for you.

• MRTP 12 works!

• @Blueteak55 said:
    MRTP 12 works!

Good to know, and Unity 2017.2 beta 4 is also released

• BusairBusair
    edited July 2017

@FranklinChen said:

@Blueteak55 said:
    MRTP 12 works!

Good to know, and Unity 2017.2 beta 4 is also released

In addition to the black screen issue, sometimes it just close the application and goes back to the shell. I did notice that for both of these issues, Unity did not provide any information in the log files, but the Windows Event Logs were mentioning nvwgf2um.dll as the faulting module (nvidia library it seems).

I will try MRTP12 soon, but Unity 2017.2 beta 4 is definitely not fixing the issue as I got the crash mentioning nvwgf2um.dll.

EDIT: Might not be the same issue, as mine are occuring in a built application, not through the unity editor.

• This seems to be similar to the black screen issue I am seeing.

I am seeing 2 source problems here.
    First is the access violation that you mentioned, I have the stack trace below.

The second problem is that no second chance exceptions get thrown, but the app is not showing up, only black screen. I can examine all threads in the app, it seems some kind of deadlock or something.
    I do see the winrt first chance exceptions being thrown several times (0x40080201 and 0x40080202) but they appeared to be handled. Not sure if it was actually safely handled by the app.

• nicoda70nicoda70
    edited August 2017

Build 16275, nvidia 385.4, Unity 2017.2 b8 (all latest version.) ....still same problem...black screen..... :'( ....

• The black screen issue I had seemed to have been fixed in Unity 2017.2.b8 on build 16275.

I guess YMMV situation here.

If you have the crash stack trace, report it via the Feedback Hub.

• nicoda70nicoda70
    edited August 2017

Oh! I solved it!!!!! It's the problem of NVIDIA 1060 GPU settings. I changed all GPU setting to auto or none or 1!!!!! I'm so happy :D !!!!But!!!!!!! What is that white line?
    Thanks for listening to my problem.

• The white line looks to be the "border" of your play space

• Thanks you so much! :)

• @nicoda70 said:
    Oh! I solved it!!!!! It's the problem of NVIDIA 1060 GPU settings. I changed all GPU setting to auto or none or 1!!!!! I'm so happy :D !!!!But!!!!!!! What is that white line?
    Thanks for listening to my problem.

Hi,
    Can you please tell me exactly what you did? If you can give a screenshot of where you did these changes, it would be of very big help!! I face the same issue with NVIDIA 940M, Unity 2017.2.0f3. Windows 10 Fall Creators Update.

Play mode opens black screen. But I can press W A S D keys and see the controller value change.

The app deployed through Visual Studio opens as a white full screen. :(

• I was dealing with the same issue here: it turned out the "immersive holographic view" is black in the Mixed reality Portal as long as I have 3 monitors connected. Disconnecting one of them fixed the issue.