Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Acer headset pass-through AR? Show video from the cameras inside the headset

Is it possible to use this "Mixed Reality" headset for, you know, mixed reality?
Also, can I see the realtime 3D mapping of the room on my desktop screen? Are there any debugging / visualization tools?

Thanks.

Best Answer

Answers

• You mean to turn it into video-see-through AR device ? Interesting idea, but the acer does not have external camera (only tracking sensor) afaik. It's still possible to attach a bluetooth video camera in front of it I suppose, but we still need the tracking software to work with it.

Also the acer does not do room mapping btw. It only does headset positional tracking.

• I didn't know that!

Those two camera-looking sensors on the front are not cameras? What are they, then?

If the Acer doesn't do room mapping, why on earth is it called a "mixed reality" headset?

• Nope, they are not camera. They are just tracking sensors.
    Mixed reality is a spectrum line between physical (AR side) and digital reality (VR side). So it really depends on where in the spectrum the device stands. For the acer headset it's really close to the VR side. It's a bit different from the other VR devices tho as microsoft mr device is capable of running your windows apps inside the headset, thus creating a bit of 'mixed' sensation :smile:

• The "tracking sensor" has a lens and looks awfully like a camera. I'm guessing it's similar to the Kinect v2?

Do you have any information about these "tracking sensors"?

Thanks.

• I don't know but the kinect sensor is a possibility. Other folks in this group might know.

• Is it the same for HP immersive headset as well?
    Thanks.

• Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

@akshay said:
    Is it the same for HP immersive headset as well?
    Thanks.

Buy a $20 webcam to become ARCamera in Vuforia to build the code
    see How To Augmented Reality App Tutorial Virtual Buttons with Unity and Vuforia

Here is one designed and Built Earlier :D:D:*;)

HP Windows Mixed Reality HeadCam (Web Camera stuck on Headset)

Front view - HP Windows Mixed Reality HeadCam

Sophisticated :p:o;) method of mounting web cam, using same cable run as USB/HDMI cable. Using White Tack, same as BlueTack.

The Webcam is plugged into the USB2.0 socket (white internal socket) (above the USB 3.0, blue insert, for the headset)

Sadly Kinect 2 will not work with Vuforia as we need the old Kinect V1 library removed so that Kinect V2 can be used as a webcam!.
    Anyway Kinect 2 is more suited to Windows Hello than mounting on front of a headset LOL

Easy to do no damage to headset, you wont get neck pain from carrying Kinect over your nose ROFL?????.

• Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

On a Slight more sensible note Announcing Spectator View
    will give you a high quality performance solution.

The Unity section of the software is replaced by your Vuforia AR project and the resulting output fed back into the HP or Acer Windows Mixed Reality headset from Unity 2017.2.f3.

This would require quite a bit of troubleshooting as you would need to export the Unity Spectator project from Unity 5.6 and re-import into Unity 2017.2.f3
    The calibration and display software would be fine, because this is written for Visual Studio 2015 in Release configuration, you can use Kinect as your camera by configuring #define OPENCV as your Camera device zero

There are many past discussion posts and threads which have be written by myself and other authors on this subject

Use the search bar with "Vuforia" and look at posts from early 2016

• I have been working on a solution myself.
    I have used Unity to prototype it. The see-through or pass-through is achieved with a webcam for now. Till the time I am able to afford a ZED mini, I was thinking I could maybe utilize two webcams to achieve stereoscopic.

You can find a demo video here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qyiSRHDk3Y

The sample project is here:
    https://github.com/syalanurag1991/Microsoft-MixedReality

• natka23natka23
    edited March 2018

Did anyone try this on the Acer Windows MR headset? Because Vuforia doesnt support that, only Hololens and Surface. Did someone find a hack?

When I try to build out the file onto the headset I get an error about Vuforiawrapper.dll

• @natka23 said:
    Did anyone try this on the Acer Windows MR headset? Because Vuforia doesnt support that, only Hololens and Surface. Did someone find a hack?

When I try to build out the file onto the headset I get an error about Vuforiawrapper.dll

The version you use are not given, but see the GitHub thread Vuforia and MRTK
    See the last posts found here

The new 2017.2.1f1 release of MRTK seems to have fixed it! It all works when built. Vuforia and all.
    But for some reason the GesturesInput and MotionControllers will make Unity crash whenever it is not connnected to the HoloLens.
    Apart from that it all works fine.

Should think " connected to the HoloLens." should say WMR headset as the motion controllers * do not* connect to HoloLens!!

• @Jimbohalo10 said:

@akshay said:
    Is it the same for HP immersive headset as well?
    Thanks.

Buy a $20 webcam to become ARCamera in Vuforia to build the code
    see How To Augmented Reality App Tutorial Virtual Buttons with Unity and Vuforia

Here is one designed and Built Earlier :D:D:*;)

HP Windows Mixed Reality HeadCam (Web Camera stuck on Headset)

Front view - HP Windows Mixed Reality HeadCam

Sophisticated :p:o;) method of mounting web cam, using same cable run as USB/HDMI cable. Using White Tack, same as BlueTack.

The Webcam is plugged into the USB2.0 socket (white internal socket) (above the USB 3.0, blue insert, for the headset)

Sadly Kinect 2 will not work with Vuforia as we need the old Kinect V1 library removed so that Kinect V2 can be used as a webcam!.
    Anyway Kinect 2 is more suited to Windows Hello than mounting on front of a headset LOL

Easy to do no damage to headset, you wont get neck pain from carrying Kinect over your nose ROFL?????.

hi, i think. you should get an intellectual property for this concept. is way better than the hololens that microsoft have made. even though the eye level slightly higher, but wont be a matter at all