Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

HP Mixed Reality headset issues

Hi, I received my Dev. edition HP HeadSet and got the Mixed Reality Portal working, I can see the visuals on screen, however, nothing is displaying on the headset.

I can calibrate the floor and space properly but nothing else.

Tagged:

Best Answers

• JesusJesus
    Answer ✓

@1k0nX said:
    Jesus, I have a weird sense of humor. :) I hope this works out for you!

No worries, yes this did work to me, the problem was the MiniDisplay port converter, low quality one, now it works but still having some other issues :), flickering on the headset, but at least I can see something!

• JesusJesus
    Answer ✓

Everything working now, headset works like a charm!

Answers

• Alright, that does it. If God can't get this to work then we're out of luck. :smiley:

• @1k0nX said:
    Alright, that does it. If God can't get this to work then we're out of luck. :smiley:

:D:D:D

• Digging around I found that might be possible my mini-display port to HDMI is not good enough to support the headset requirements, I'll get a higher quality one and give it a try.

I'll update the thread once I test this!

• > @1k0nX said:
    > Alright, that does it. If God can't get this to work then we're out of luck. :smiley:

No worry we still hope.
    Only the Son is having troubles. We still have the Father right ??
  • Jesus, I have a weird sense of humor. :) I hope this works out for you!

• JesusJesus
    Answer ✓

@1k0nX said:
    Jesus, I have a weird sense of humor. :) I hope this works out for you!

No worries, yes this did work to me, the problem was the MiniDisplay port converter, low quality one, now it works but still having some other issues :), flickering on the headset, but at least I can see something!

• JesusJesus
    Answer ✓

Everything working now, headset works like a charm!

• Mine does not work like a charm.. Not with any Surface device. Book, or Studio.
    Tried it at a Microsoft Store too using their flagships, so different HW, different adapters. Nothing. It only worked with HDMI...

So what is this 'low quality' converter vs. high quality converter exactly?

Would Microsoft mind actually testing this on a Surface Studio and letting us know EXACTLY what it took to get it working?

• I have an ACER AH100 MR Headset trying to get it to work connect and work with a Surface Pro 4, got all the software to install, device drivers... all indicate they working properly but Screen Display flashing intermittent when headset connected... think it is a driver glitch when Microsoft Reality Portal runs.

Legacy MCSE SCO ACE CompTIA A+ Network+ Professional.
    Former Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT), Authorized UNIX & LINUX Trainer, Accountant.

• @thorpeca - What version of Windows OS are you on?

• @TheBard - The Surface Book is not supported hardware. I have not looked at the specifications for the Surface Studio, but I would guess it's not either. If you are having trouble with the HDMI to MiniDisplayport adapter, you need what is called an Active Adapter, where most are passive.

Something like this should work, if that is indeed what the issue is - https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Mini-DisplayPort-Active-Adapter/dp/B00AYAF3MQ

• I plan to buy another MiniDisplayport adapter just to test but currently have two that work with other displays, just not with the ACER MR Headset

Former Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT), Authorized UNIX & LINUX Trainer, Accountant.

• Right, it seems to be specific to the headsets needing the active adapter. Connection to monitors and projectors using the passive adapters seems to work fine.

• FYI ... the Club 3D... model CAC1170 minidisplayport to HDMI adapter works quite well, solved the screen flickering issue. The Surface Pro 4 is not really supported by Microsoft for MR development but I think most of us who have one will eventually be comfortable using them as interim tools with the MR technology..... it seems to run all the software well.

• Jesse_McCulloch: Surfaces are not supported? I don't understand. It has an NVidia 950 gpu, usb3, which spec does not comply?

Also, the Microsoft Store employee tried and active HDMI/DP adapter and it did not work either.

• @TheBard
    The Surface book is not supported because the Intel driver does not support WDDM 2.2 in that generation. Because of the hybrid gpu setup, it doesn't matter that it has the NVIDIA GPU, both need to be supported. Or at least that's the official word. The reality is, there is a USB Driver issue that is blocking before we even get to that point.

I have provided feedback on it, as have others, but the word I have

• Thanks. At least that is an answer. And mighty hard to come by. For anyone else interested, this eliminates the Lenovo Yoga machines as well.

• Yeah, I hear you. I have a $3500 surface book I am trying to get rid of because of it...

• @Jesse_McCulloch , I have found it incredible that Microsoft and Intel has a number of IT professionals in the field attempting to support the innovation of the new MR technologies but find that their "high end" computer purchases made in the last 12 months are not likely to be supported. You would think the technical people at Microsoft & Intel would be at least 2 year forward thinking. I am hopeful that WDDM 2.2 will be supported in due course, that at least would give me some significant use on my Surface Pro 4. It runs all the software and does support the MR headsets with a small Controller / Headset black screen glitch at times.