Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Is that allowed to purchase the lens from others?

SeanHeSeanHe
edited March 2016 in Questions And Answers

Hi! Is it allowed to purchase the hololens from someone, who are in earlier waves, but give up to buy?

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• A secondary purchaser was not approved for the developer program, the original developer was.

I'd be VERY surprised if one can sell their dev access to this program and remain in good graces with MSFT.

I do hope were not going to see jacked up dev kits hitting eBay...

...notice me senpais...

• holovrholovr ✭✭
    edited March 2016

what about sharing it with remote clients during projects? especially if its a remote collaboration app?

• As long as you don't resell or loan your device, we'd love to see device owners help other developers in the community! :)

• ... aaaaaand they are showing up on eBay - seems you are not stopping it?

• I reported two publications on eBay for selling development units of the HoloLens. If there are rules, must be obeyed by everyone. No exceptions. Can MS do a follow up on this ?

• Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016

@HoloLens_Forum_Admin said:
    Your Microsoft HoloLens device cannot be resold or rented to others.

Well 14 days after first day one sale, we go onto US Ebay, but $6,500!!, That's £4,700 U.K. money!

Talk about mark-ups. I suppose it was to happen. They pay 1,000 times face value for Football/Soccer/Super Bowl/Wembley tickets and you have nothing to show.
    Maybe just validation of how good and valuable product is HoloLens. :)

• As a Wave 1 developer who is still (!patiently) waiting to receive a link for an opportunity to purchase, it is really frustrating to see some of the very few units that have shipped out selling on eBay. :'(:s:'(

Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
    WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings

• Hi @HoloSheep can you report this ebay publication? If ebay receives enough reports, they shut down the listing.

• Not sure if I chose the correct reporting Category and options, but I gave it a try. They don't seem to have an option for that clearly maps to licensing or unauthorized resale.
    Based on eBay's rules it sounds like a Microsoft rep contacting them might hold more weight.

• Yeah, that is a shame, but to be expected. I assume we're limited to two Hololens', correct? So at least they're limited to their reselling capabilities. I look forward to ordering my two one of these days. The emulator does a good job, but is a bit limited in testing some things (like judging how comfortable a particular interface is...etc).
    I'll keep my eye out for those trying to resell theirs and report them.

• Looking at EBay today, the HoloLens that @Jimbohalo10 mentioned seems to have sold for just under 15K US, the second one that was listed for sale seem to be gone. A Wave 4 invitation seems to be the only HoloLens item showing up in EBay's search of the term "HoloLens" now.

• I just saw the two Hololens in ebay gone. One sold for the astonishing number of 14960 US dollars, the other sold for 9500. Any thought from MS rep?

• Doing a quick search on eBay for past sales shows a burgeoning little industry in reselling HoloLens devices and invites.

• Well after years working in a Large computer company.We in the U.K. were always taught to respect the State Department U.S. Export Compliance on technologies, basically HoloLens cannot be exported without a technology license. So its down to eBay to make sure they comply. The fines are huge 7 digits and the US government could provide unwanted publicity to ebay

• eBay profile "techdiamonds" sold his two Hololens devices, one for 9999 and the second for 14960. That's around 18.300 dollars in profits. Microsoft guys: do you have planned take any action on this matter?

• This is going in an out of control spiral. This ebay seller went nuts, he is selling his Hololens kit for 25000!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hololens-Developer-Edition-/152058022501?hash=item23675d4a65:g:5iAAAOSwJQdXBmOq

• User reported. Ebay has a report reason for Beta testing items, which I think this qualifies. Though, i doubt they'll get $25,000 anyways. If they do, the person who bought it is a bit stupid. The hardware isn't finalized for consumer use, and the list of consumer available applications are pretty tiny at this time.

• im quite sure Microsoft has put controls in the hardware and software to brick it for unauthorized use.

• @holovr said:
    im quite sure Microsoft has put controls in the hardware and software to brick it for unauthorized use.

Yes already there the Windows 10 version is an Insider version which like all has an expiry date 16 July 2016 . use winver from command line to find the expiry date. Oh if you leave it, don't update 30 days later wont even boot up!.
    There I believe are restarts every hour,after the expiry date

• Three more new listings for HoloLens dev kits on eBay this morning.
    It does not look like these kits are shipping out to people who are serious about developing on them.

Currently there are four listed ranging in price from $5,400 up to $25,000

As suggested, I have reported them but that doesn't seem to be enough to get eBay's attention. If Microsoft cares about this issue, I think a Microsoft rep needs to contact eBay and maybe even sic legal on them. Either way more of us who are serious about using the dev kits but still waiting for a buy link should consider speaking out to try and slow this rising tide of dev kits hitting eBay as high end collectors items.

• I reported every single Hololens ebay listing. Same outcome as @HoloSheep : they don't care about my reports, and looks like MS doesn't care too. :/

• @bernieSF said:
    I reported every single Hololens ebay listing. Same outcome as @HoloSheep : they don't care about my reports, and looks like MS doesn't care too. :/

Who knows what's possibly going on behind the scenes.

• Another one just sold and this one brought some lucky speculator $8,200 for his $3,000 investment.

• AlexDAlexD ✭✭✭

Want to add my 2 cents to the conversation as I've been following the topic closely (disclosure - purchased HoloLens as part of wave 1, not planning on selling or buying from eBay).

First of all I think this is a problem that Microsoft created themselves. First by not properly filtering applications so that HoloLens would land to most interested developers first and secondly by introducing this rule of not being able to sell it. If you think about it, they don't really make sense. If they filtered their applicants and put only interested developers in wave 1, they wouldn't have to worry about reselling right? Cause no-one would WANT to resell it. On the other hand, if you didn't screen applicants and are willing to sell it to whoever, why stop them selling them to someone interested?
    The prices you see on eBay are a perfect illustration of the most basic economic principle: supply - demand. Microsoft is restricting supply while at the same time driving the demand by showing everyone how cool the tech is. The prices are not a surprise and they will keep going up until supply is increased.

@HoloSheep, I don't understand your frustration. As a developer waiting for the device, you should feel happy that you will get the chance to buy it for $3000 probably very soon. If soon is not good enough, you are free, like anyone else, to buy it TODAY on eBay for the "right" price!
    Back to my point one, this is a problem that MS created by approving developers in wave 1 randomly rather than really evaluating their applications.

And to end my little rant, what is the big problem with buying the device from eBay?
    Say you are a company that wants to build something real, something major but none of your developers got into wave 1, or maybe even 2. Or, say you have a client willing to pay you 6 figures to build a HoloLens experience with the potential of growing to 7 figures after a proof of concept. What then? Microsoft will not sell you the devices, (unless you want to buy 50 of them) so paying 10-20k for a device is a small price to pay and I'm not sure who is at a loss, definitely not people waiting in line in their waves for it. If someone is willing to pay 20k for a device, be sure that they have some big plans for it and that's great news for everyone

• james_ashleyjames_ashley ✭✭✭✭

@AlexD,

I don't really understand why you think this is a problem Microsoft created.

What sort of evaluation could Microsoft perform to ensure that some dude doesn't decide to sell his second device to the highest bidder in order to turn a bit of profit? Even a very "interested" developer might decide this is a good idea, especially if he doesn't have enough money to buy two.

There is no way to evaluate for ethics or a sense of generosity toward other developers. This is why there is a purchase agreement in place.

James Ashley
    VS 2017 v5.3.3, Unity 2017.3.0f3, MRTK 2017.1.2, W10 17063
    Microsoft MVP, Freelance HoloLens/MR Developer
    www.imaginativeuniversal.com

• AlexDAlexD ✭✭✭

in my opinion there's no problem, I referred to it as a problem from the perspective of the people complaining about it.

there are ways of evaluating the interest in a technology by asking developers to send a brief plan for what they want to use the device for.
    At the very least they can introduce a priority program for business and individuals that have a very specific use case in a relatively advanced development stage.

When there's no such priority list in place, having a purchase agreement that stops one uninterested party that somehow got a device, to sell the device to a very interested party that would USE it productively, does not make sense, and it does not help in driving the platform and technology forward.
    I'll end with the same note as my other email. If someone is willing to pay 5 times the retail price, be sure that they have a very serious plan and use-case for the device to justify that investment.

• james_ashleyjames_ashley ✭✭✭✭

People can be very interested in the technology but not necessarily in having two devices.

Plus -- isn't it easier to just ask people not to sell their devices on ebay, as Microsoft has, rather than try to come up with some sort of special "interest" test as you've suggested in order to judge whether someone is worthier than someone else to receive a device? I'd hate to be involved in something like that.

I get your point though. You don't see a problem with selling devices on ebay or in buying devices on ebay. That appears to be a minority position in this discussion but I respect your opinion all the same and appreciate your willingness to share it.

James Ashley
    VS 2017 v5.3.3, Unity 2017.3.0f3, MRTK 2017.1.2, W10 17063
    Microsoft MVP, Freelance HoloLens/MR Developer
    www.imaginativeuniversal.com

• BryanBryan ✭✭✭

I was under the impression they did evaluate applications and did apply a priority based on the pitches in the applications. Is that not the case? Are the purchase links sent randomly within a given wave?