Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Mixed Reality Motion Controller Dev Availability?

Hi All,

Anyone know if there is some way for developers to get a hold of Microsoft's Mixed Reality Motion Controllers in a dev capacity to get going with building experiences for it?

If not, is there a time they will be come available?

Thanks.

Best Answer

Answers

• They are supposedly coming with the pre-ordered developer kits that are supposed to be shipping in August. There have been no other announcements of any dev availability at this time. If someone from Microsoft has a better, more official answer, I would love to hear it as well.

• @Jesse_McCulloch I don't see any mention of them being included with the dev kits. Where did you hear this?

• I would also like to know where you heard that the motion controllers would be included...

• Answer ✓

I was at Build when they announced it :)

• edited July 2017

The MR bundle (headset + motion controllers) is said to be $399 so I'm not so convinced Microsoft is going to pick up the $100 tab for devs with the dev kit headsets being $299.

• My understanding is that consumer bundle will include motion controllers for an additional 100$ compare to dev kit price. I don't think dev kit will include them because almost all information I've seen about dev kit suggest to have xbox controller for input.

I would also like to know if we will be able to order them before the end of the year.
  • mr0ngmr0ng ✭✭

I'm not 100% certain, but I believe the motion controllers will be included with the MR headsets shipped with the Xbox developer track. I haven't seen/heard definitive info regarding the motion controllers being shipped with the pre-orders - but my assumption is that the motion controllers will not be included with the pre-orders, since it's not mentioned on the pre-order page.

• So back to the original question since I am interested in the answer. Is there any way for developers who pre-ordered to get motion controllers before the consumer release?

• edited July 2017

Bump. Also, I am still in the beginning stages of writing my first application for immersive headsets and the just finished reading the docs on motion controller input: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/gestures_and_motion_controllers_in_unity
    The API looks very straightforward and easy to use! I cannot wait to get the official equipment! Anyone else giddy with excitement?

• Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017

Just to make this clear "The Acer Headset and Motion Controllers are for sale ONLY in the United States and Canada". When trying to pre-order through the UK store, Austrian Store, German Store, Australian Store, on the pre-order webpage button we all get referred to the Windows Mixed Reality Developer loan registration survey site. The USA store does not support non-US postal addresses.

Amusingly this WMR HMD pre-order advert appeared in UK Facebook. The advert has had over 200 "Angry" likes and much negative comment from all over Europe

Why do Microsoft Marketing put an advert in Facebook UK, where they can expect get so much negative feedback??

• EMebaneEMebane
    edited July 2017

I was assuming that the controllers would work with HoloLens as well as the new MR headset(s), however I can't find anything that confirms it officially, and one article suggests that they won't work with HoloLens:
    https://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-making-its-own-motion-controllers-with-windows-10-vr-mixed-reality-acer/

I see the HoloLens is not checked in the supported device chart on this page: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/motion_controllers

Is there any more info on this, such as planned future support? It also says it's a USB-wired solution until the upcoming Bluetooth capability is complete.

• @EMebane - The current message from Microsoft is that the Mixed Reality "Crystal Key" motion controllers are not compatible with the HoloLens. I had this confirmed today on campus at Microsoft when we asked about it.

And yes, it documentation and known issues state that the motion controllers are usb wired right now while they work something out in the Bluetooth stack.

• Thank you for confirming that, Jesse. I would like to know if there are any plans to add new controllers to the HoloLens experience or even an improved clicker device. If not, what's the reason? Is it because HoloLens supports the hand gesture input mechanism and that's seen as good enough?

• edited August 2017

Got the Acer and HP dev HMDs yesterday and there were no controllers included.

Curious how to get a hold of them now.

• @simpleshadow - There currently isn't a way to get them unless Microsoft sends you a set. They are in super limited release right now to very specific partners. There has not been any communication from Microsoft on when they will be available in a wider release.

• @Jesse_McCulloch - Any idea how I could contact Microsoft to possibly have my company as a developer partner for the motion controllers?

• You can try to contact MRhelp@microsoft.com for more informations.

French XR/MR developer / Indie Game Developer

• Right now, they are extremely limited, but the Mixed Reality documentation says they will be available for consumers this holiday. Based on that timeline, we should see dev availability (hopefully) in the next few weeks. They are starting to be disseminated to devs - as you can see Nima and I do an unboxing in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJcBgSBcvRI

• So they're in limited supply. I get that. I ordered the HP set, and although I had hoped they'd be included, I didn't get my hopes up. As the rest of you know, they're not packaged with the dev headsets.

You noted that they are starting to disseminate to devs, but how? I have not found ANYWHERE where I can order them for development. I'm not mad about this for myself, I'm just concerned that they won't be available in time for devs to get the chance to really work with them, and therefore their support will be limited / unavailable upon release of the consumer devices.

If there's a waiting list to be on, I'd be really grateful to anyone who can direct me on how to get on that list.

• @CertifiedKennedy - As of right now there is no list to be on. They will be available to developers via the Windows store, but there is not a public date available yet.

Your fears have plenty of merit, I too am anxious to have them in hand so that I can support them as well...

• Looks like they're a little closer to becoming available - they have been passed through the Bluetooth SIG. See here:
    https://mspoweruser.com/microsofts-windows-mixed-reality-controllers-pass-bluetooth-sig/
  • Inching our way closer, it looks like Dell is open now to some pre-orders, but this is for the consumer, and is set for release to the consumer. This means no lead time for the developer, should they want to work with the controllers prior to launch.

Anyway, I'm thinking of pre-ordering because I have had no luck in sourcing them otherwise. :(

• @CertifiedKennedy - It looks like those developers that are part of the early access dev program should be getting them shipped out next week. No word on pre-orders happening earlier than the consumer launch though. I'll keep you posted if I hear anything else.

• Did anyone received their motion controller? I received an email to confirm my shipping address 09/13/17 but haven't received shipping email confirmation or tracking number yet.
  • Yes, I got mine. Watch for the package to show up without ever getting any tracking info, mine did. Microsofts vendor got them shipped out before they were able to send out the tracking numbers.

• So I guess my question is changing context now. I pre-ordered the HP headset and received it early August. I've been unable to find anywhere to source the motion controllers prior to general availability. Now that pre-orders have opened up, I'm now searching for where / how to order just a set of the controllers. Here's the catch, I live in Canada.

Does anyone have any idea where I might get these?

• The only place that I know of where you can get just the motion controllers is from Dell. They will still work with all the other headsets, that's not a concern. Here is the link.

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/accessories/apd/536-bbbw

• Yeah, when I talked with the MS people at the WMR area at Unite 2017 Austin yesterday, they were pointing out the whole controllers are always bundled aspect, and I (quietly) pointed out the Dell situation (selling the HMD and Controllers standalone) a little after that. They seem to be the only exception, from everything I've seen.

• "You couldn't get Motion Controllers? You were lucky. In the UK we couldn't even get a developer headset"

(With thanks to Monty Python)

• Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

@rd3d2 said:
    "You couldn't get Motion Controllers? You were lucky. In the UK we couldn't even get a developer headset"

(With thanks to Monty Python)

Yeah, So right after the nice US Microsoft Store woman sent me the link to the UK Microsoft Store.

Read the stock status!

Same as HoloLens was, some one must have bought the one!

At least the Windows Mixed Reality Portal works now, you must be on Windows Insider build 16299.15 to have any chance of upgrading you motion controllers to work with Bluetooth

see recent entry in Windows Insider flight and driver notes for 16299

:D