Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

HP Windows MR headset quality

Hello guys, I'm very new in AR/MR area (but not in UWP development of course) so please don't swear hard!

I've ordered HP MR headset on May, and received it yesterday. As promised it started working right after unpacking and plugging to PC but I found that image quality isn't good, it's always moving out of focus :( Actually, it looks focused when I look on center of the lenses only but peripheral vision is always out of focus. It's extremely annoying and causes a headache after 10 minutes of using.

Does Acer headset have similar issue?

Also, could someone point me to the UWP native (i.e. straight D3D, no Unity involved) "Hello, world" project for MR, like a simple 3D model viewer or simple geometric scene?

Thanks a lot!

P.S. Blurry image is a showstopper for me now, I'm thinking about return that headset back to MS (and I even didn't complained about awful plastic smell, and thick cable!). I tried Oculus Rift VR headset (which is available at Amazon for $399; this HP MR headset costs me $349) and quality (build & image) is way better than HP (also, it's a complete working product with a lot of software support).

Best Answers

• Answer ✓

@MagusZero, it's a pity :'( Looks like I have no other option than return this headset to MS.

So, my conclusion: it's an awful VR (not a "MR" or other marketing BS, just a bad implementation of the "good old" VR!) headset with no support at all, hard to try (from the developer's point of view), badly built, provided no "immersion" experience at all but just a headache. Actually, cheap Chinese plastic cardboard VR with LG G3 (both cost me less than $100) provided a way better VR experience than this $350 designated VR headset! (and I'm not even mention Oculus Rift).

Microsoft, it's a definitely a not a good way to expand technology and involve more developers! I'm still very skeptical about overall VR usability (I believe gaming only has some perspectives) but this dev headset has only one future - it must be returned to the MS store because of complete incapacity!

• edited August 2017 Answer ✓

@Mufifnman, could you please read the whole topic before posting? Thanks! Please don't make me an idiot: of course I already tried all possible (and useless) "advises" before sending back buggy headset to MS.

And, finally, a couple of words to the "Fresnel Lenses" lovers, please take a look to the picture of Rift and compare with the very same pic of HP junkset:

This is an industry leader:

this is a MS subcontractor's junk-hardware:

P.S. Zoom if you don't get my point right...

Answers

• I can't get my HP MR headset to work properly, so I can't comment on it's 'sweet spot'. The Rift has a very large in-focus area and is a steal for the current $400. I still prefer my Vive for roomscale VR and like the future of the SteamVR ecosystem however.

• Answer ✓

@MagusZero, it's a pity :'( Looks like I have no other option than return this headset to MS.

So, my conclusion: it's an awful VR (not a "MR" or other marketing BS, just a bad implementation of the "good old" VR!) headset with no support at all, hard to try (from the developer's point of view), badly built, provided no "immersion" experience at all but just a headache. Actually, cheap Chinese plastic cardboard VR with LG G3 (both cost me less than $100) provided a way better VR experience than this $350 designated VR headset! (and I'm not even mention Oculus Rift).

Microsoft, it's a definitely a not a good way to expand technology and involve more developers! I'm still very skeptical about overall VR usability (I believe gaming only has some perspectives) but this dev headset has only one future - it must be returned to the MS store because of complete incapacity!

• Still waiting for my acer. I don't remember hearing similar experience/comments on the acer though. Glad I did not order the HP.
  • MR isn't marketing BS at all... it's just the concept that the same platform supports VR and AR experiences. Which is a really cool and useful thing. It's not a bad platform to develop for, despite my annoyances at this point - even just normal UWP apps work rather well in the environment they have set up.

Really, you're taking this too hard.

• @MagusZero , these headsets (HP and Acer) doesn't support AR at all, they don't have hardware capabilities for that. So, the marketing sentence "mixed reality" in this case is a complete lie! There is no "mixed reality", just a cheap built VR headsets with no software support.

As for "not a bad platform": I already asked for the simple "Hello world" project sources, without involving huge overhead of Unity. Could you provide me an url? Or tell me, how I can "easily" add VR support to my UWP D3D game? I already mentioned that I don't have Unity experience but Unity is a third party product. But these headsets are promoted by Microsoft (what's why I was interested).

I'm not taking this too hard ('cause, I believe so, MS store must provide me a hassle free return, as promised) but just sharing my disappointment. I didn't expect similar to Oculus Rift quality or very easy start but got practically nothing but headache :(

• I have been using the HP headset and I think its awesome. got it yesterday morning. I built my computer specifically for the mixed reality portal. The field of vision does get blurry around the edges, but the viewing feels easy on the eyes, perhaps you should try moving the window/app you are viewing closer within the portal, it improves clarity immensely. I am using it as a portal to manage all of my computers, servers and have even used it for a Gotomeeting yesterday and it was spectacular. the only answer I have is you should buy products that are still in the development phase and then blast them. just return the product, and buy something else you like more.

• @AngusMcKay, I simple don't understand how do you "manage" all of your computers and servers by using HP headset! Maybe, your meaning of word "manage" is different from what professional computer administrators and security professional means? But they are usually working with consoles and shell scripts. Maybe, you've watched "Matrix" movie too many times? :D

And I can't remember I've asked for advice what I need to do. Here is the forum to ask questions and share experience (awful in my case). And (I believe so) this forum is more for developers than Sci-Fi movie fans...

• @sensboston I don't know what the URL was, but at the very least it'd be worth installing the HoloLens templates and looking at what the SharpDX demo does. They don't really give documentation except for C++ and Unity. While the SharpDX demo doesn't compile, it's because of a single method call, which someone more experienced with DirectX than me might be able to understand immediately.

And as for Mixed Reality, you are correct, this headset is VR... but it's a device for accessing Windows Mixed Reality, which can also be accessed by AR devices. It isn't that they're saying that the device isn't strictly VR; Microsoft only cares about the platform - and it's really not a bad platform at all. There's even a "Find holographic apps" link in the Portal, so I'm not sure your "No software support" is accurate either.

• edited August 2017

Hmm, what apps are you talking about? I found only 3: Pixvana 360 Video Player, Holograms and HoloTour? Oh, yeah, it's a lot :D

Microsoft only cares about the platform

Very good words... And I know ('cause of 6.5 years spent to WP7, WP8 and UWP development) what does it really means :(

• Hey guys, Relax. Calm down.
    Both of you have good points. It's still a development stage, lots of issues. But Microsoft should do more. I hate to see MS getting beaten by Apple and Google on AR/VR.
  • I'm actually done with MS VR (or MR), just requested return from MS store. Will try Oculus Rift for $399 ;)

• @sensboston, that's too bad, but I understand your frustration.
    I am betting this platform will get better and better, so come back again then please.

• @sensboston said:
    @AngusMcKay, I simple don't understand how do you "manage" all of your computers and servers by using HP headset! Maybe, your meaning of word "manage" is different from what professional computer administrators and security professional means? But they are usually working with consoles and shell scripts. Maybe, you've watched "Matrix" movie too many times? :D

And I can't remember I've asked for advice what I need to do. Here is the forum to ask questions and share experience (awful in my case). And (I believe so) this forum is more for developers than Sci-Fi movie fans...

I can grasp why you wouldn't understand, you sound like a really nice guy. the headset is designed to access the mixed reality portal in Microsoft. as it stands, I can access all of my servers via remote desktop, and monitor my Sophos firewalls as well as all of the employees at my company. your complaints do not have to do with developing anything. Not everyone is going to like the product, but your idea that I am a sci-fi movie fan is off base. I certainly wouldn't set up my servers with the HP headset, but the mixed reality portal is providing a great workspace to MANAGE them from. If you are offended by my postings, I don't understand why you would be. I'm just another dude posting on a forum regarding my positive experiences. Party on pro developer.

• edited August 2017

@ahalim, thanks for the good words but actually I don't believe in that, especially after MS screwed up Windows Phone/Windows 10 Mobile platform :( Don't ask me why I'm so sure but here are the links to my apps and games in the store (total more than 2.7M downloads), I really know what I'm talking about (and payments statistics from MS Store/PubCenter is a really good proof) :(

By the way, I'll get back in this thread after trying Oculus Rift (I want to try development for this VR headset)

• As for the IPD setting, it's in the Settings app in Windows, under Mixed Reality - it should update real-time if you use that menu from the desktop app while wearing the device. Should be easy enough to get it right!

• @MagusZero, IPD setting (slider) changes has no visible (or any) effect at all, I already tried.

@johnmurphy01, I tried similar "exercises" but without success - my peripheral vision still sent "alarms" to my brain :'( By the way, "Oculus Rift" will arrive August 9 so I'll definitely will share my impressions about hardware differences between these VR headsets.

• At this point, the HP headset can't be used more than once during a host PC restart. Once I stop using the device, if I pick up the headset and try again, The MR Portal fails with an error indicating failure as below:

Only way to recover is to reboot the host PC. I see all sorts of errors in the Event Log. So, maybe it's the beta software, but I can't fathom something simple with a hardware device can't just be used more than once without restarting a whole system.

• @cicorias I had a similar problem. Whenever you get that error after using the headset once:
    1. Close the MX portal.
    2. Unplug the headset.
    3. Wait for the screen to flash black once. (This could take up to a minute)
    4. Then it should work when you plug in your headset again.

I'm still getting constant crashes while on the cliff house. If I load something like a 360 video, everything seems to work just fine until I return to the cliff house and I start moving stuff around.

• edited August 2017

By the way, guys, for instance, could you please confirm what you're also have this radial tracks (like a results of extremely unprofessional lenses polishing) on the lenses?

Here is the link to the full size image.

• Yes, the lenses look like that because they are Fresnel Lenses. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresnel_lens

• edited August 2017

Hmm, it's kinda strange. Just checked (right now!) my cheap plastic Chinese cardboard with LG G3; cardboard's lenses aren't Fresnel lenses but this cardboard don't have any issue with the focus at all, picture looks really clear and highly readable (you don't need to play with adjustments).

Do you know, is this MS or HP specific "invention"? ;)

P.S. BTW, the simple and cheap (any handset have this one) accelerometer sensor is working pretty same as a "patented" "MR" sensors on HP headset :D It's such a funny thing, MS could save a lot of money to produce modified cardboards as a "innovating mixed reality headsets" :D

P.P.S. One more time "sorry", this cardboard is kinda dusty :/

• I'm pretty sure that both the Rift and the Vive use Fresnel Lenses as well, but I could be wrong.

I hope you have much better luck with your Rift.

• Will see very soon.

• @sensboston said:
    @MagusZero, IPD setting (slider) changes has no visible (or any) effect at all, I already tried.

Good for you. They didn't seem to for me the first time I tried either, because the effect is very small, and I wasn't wearing the thing as I changed it. At this point, I think you just don't know what you're doing, which is fair since the things just came out.

As for getting the others in hopes of being able to easily write apps for them, I don't think you're going to find any huge advantages there either: they're platforms that prefer not to be compatible, and have only one vendor, rather than a software platform (Windows Mixed Reality) designed to support any hardware vendor that chooses to make hardware (HP's VR goggles designed for the Windows MR platform) for it.

• At this point, I think you just don't know what you're doing, which is fair since the things just came out.

At this point, I think you just don't know what are you talking about. It doesn't really matter when bad designed (or defective) VR headset was released; it's impossible to use HP headset (at least, the headset I received and returned back to MS) for development without risk of eyes health.

I don't wanna argue more with "fanboys" like you; if you like this blurry & smelly gadget from HP - good for you! The only one thing I may recommend to you (even you've not asked for) - don't forget to visit optometrist right after first month of HP headset usage ;)

• Ok, so I have been trying to stay out of this for the most part. But seriously. You are in the Developer Forum. Complaining that the developer edition of the headset is not easy to use or working correctly. It's not a consumer device. Just like if you had used an Oculus DK1, you would have found issues with it. But if you are annoyed with all the "fanboys", I would suggest hanging out in a forum that is not dedicated to the devices that you so clearly don't like...

• @sensboston said:
    I'm actually done with MS VR (or MR), just requested return from MS store. Will try Oculus Rift for $399 ;)

The Rift is an unrivaled value right now @$399 w/Touch - I have two currently. They can be very picky about USB ports, but I eventually got 3 sensors working.

I just got my HP headset, but I can't get the MR Portal to detect the headset at all. I know it works as an HDMI display, as I was able to see the desktop when I first plugged it in. But even after installing software, updates, and trying almost every USB port on my machine, no love. I guess I'll try unplugging all my Rift hardware and see if that helps.

• @sensboston said:

At this point, I think you just don't know what you're doing, which is fair since the things just came out.

At this point, I think you just don't know what are you talking about. It doesn't really matter when bad designed (or defective) VR headset was released; it's impossible to use HP headset (at least, the headset I received and returned back to MS) for development without risk of eyes health.

I don't disagree here. I've ran into the same issue. I have an actual PD 76 (overall) and that digital setting goes only as high as 67.5 or some such.

If you look at the preview screen you can see the change digitally, but in the headset it doesn't appear to change much of anything. mostly because the lenses themseleves are so close together.

So either it is changing for some and not for others, or, those of us with a high PD can't tell whatsoever because the lenses themselves never actually move. So we can't see the main focal point.

Bad Design, as you said.