Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Are we supposed to be able to use the Xbox controller outside of simulation mode?

gjrgjgjrgj
edited August 2017 in Q&A and Discussions

I cannot get my controller to work regularly with the mixed reality portal app not in simulation mode. However, I have read reviews of people using it to teleport around and rotate themselves. Has anyone run into a similar issue?

Best Answers

• gjrgjgjrgj
    Answer ✓

update: Just got it to work! I switched the USB receiver to a different USB port on my computer and resynced the controller and now everything works fine. Unfortunately I still don't know what the problem was, but now I can move forwards.

• RitchieRitchie
    Answer ✓

@gjrgj - glad to hear you're unblocked. If you get the chance, you can submit this as mixed-reality/give_us_feedback from the dev workstation you are using since it was tied to the mixed reality portal. Thanks.

Answers

• The Xbox Game Controller is recognized in the Mixed Reality Portal on the Cliff House/Shell with the Headset. Xbox Button is Menu (like HoloLens Bloom), "A" button is for selection, Left Stick Forward/Back is to trigger movement and teleport. Right Stick Left/Right "turns" your view about 45 degrees.

You need to ensure the Xbox Game Controller is recognized by Windows and shows up on the Device Manager. I experienced this not working when I connected the controller via USB Hub and I eventually needed to plug it to a USB2 port on the motherboard to get the drivers installed correctly.

• Using the real headset (like Acer, HP etc), the xbox gamepat can be used for at least 2 functions:
    1. X and Y (teleport) movement and yaw rotation or yourself.
    2. Simulate the motion controller (virtual controller)

I am having problems with navigating the virtual controller. It's kinda working, you can see the virtual controller inside the headset but it's hard to control it. Plus it looks like that 1 and 2 are mutually exclusive, you cannot have both working at the same time (unlike simulation mode).

• I'm using the Acer mixed reality headset and having issues with the XBox Wireless controller myself. Only the buttons on the controller seem to sort of do something. I can see the little circle cursor becoming bigger (as in clicking on something) when I use the buttons. However, none of the movements are working - the stick controllers etc. don't work at all.

• @Ritchie I have verified that the controller has been recognized by Windows, and I can use it in the Unity project demo (HoloAcademy 250 - Sharing) just fine. But for some reason I can't manage to send any inputs to the mixed reality portal when I am not in simulation mode.

• gjrgjgjrgj
    Answer ✓

update: Just got it to work! I switched the USB receiver to a different USB port on my computer and resynced the controller and now everything works fine. Unfortunately I still don't know what the problem was, but now I can move forwards.

• RitchieRitchie
    Answer ✓

@gjrgj - glad to hear you're unblocked. If you get the chance, you can submit this as mixed-reality/give_us_feedback from the dev workstation you are using since it was tied to the mixed reality portal. Thanks.

• Make sure you updated the driver for the xbox controller. Use the Xbox Accessories (store app) to do that.

Also important to note for the wireless xbox controller, only the one that supports xbox one s will work. If it supports only xbox one, it will not work. Again, this is for the wireless controller.

If you hook directly to the usb port, then either one should work.
  • For anyone in the future who may have this problem, removing the USB dongle from the PC and plugging it back in to resync the controller will fix the issue.

• @ahalim thank you - that bit of info was very useful. I have a wireless Xbox One wireless controller and hooked up a USB cable which got it working. I guess I didn't know it wasn't compatible (without the wire).

• I am having the same issue as above - Xbox One wireless controller sticks not working, but buttons appear to work. I have followed all instructions above.

I've tried all the USB ports, two different Xbox One controllers and also an older XBox 360 wired controller. I've tried connecting via USB directly, and also through the USB receiver on the Xbox One controllers. Countless reboots. I've updated the Xbox One controller drivers via the accessories app. Windows build 16278.rs3_release.170825-1441.

The controllers do work in other applications without issue.

This creates quite the issue because without being able to teleport I cannot complete the portal setup. It's a pity there wasn't a registry setting that allowed skipping this tutorial. Without completing this setup, it appears the Unity can't direct VR output to the HMD. So I'm completely stuck.

Any help would be most appreciated.

• @RichardP - It would be very helpful if you could submit feedback through the Feedback app. Once you have enough info in there, there is an option to reproduce. This will turn on additional logging that could help Microsoft track down the issue.

I know that doesn't help in the short term, but it will be valuable long term. I only have a controller from the Xbox One S, so I am not seeing this same issue.