Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Acer headset, insider build 16257.1, immediate exception

I'm using the Acer Mixed Reality headset and could previously run the sample DX11 Holographic Application Template in VS 2017 Community.

I have upgraded to insider build 16257.1, SDK 16257 and now it crashes immediately with an exception. I've attached a screenshot and the logs from the output window.

If it helps, I did install the motion controllers after upgrading windows, but before trying the app out again. I've tried cleaning the build as well as creating a new application from the template, but I'm getting consistent exceptions.

Any idea of how to address the problem?

Cheers and thanks!

Tagged:

Answers

• edited August 2017

Hi,

I previously had the Holographic App template example running fine, but have since upgraded windows build and now it crashes with an exception.

An exception is thrown in HolographicAppMain::Update at:
    HolographicFrame^ holographicFrame = m_holographicSpace->CreateNextFrame();

Have tried cleaning the build as well as creating a new project with "Holographic DirectX 11 App (Universal Windows).

I'm running:
    Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview, 1703, 16257.1
    Using Insider Preview SDK version 16257

If it helps, I've attached some screenshots of the exception.

Also, if it helps, I had set up the motion controllers since upgrading and before trying the app template again. Though this happens with both the controllers connected and disconnected (bluetooth enabled/disabled).

Any ideas of what I can do to fix the problem?

Cheers and thanks!
    James

• I should mention that regarding the motion controllers, this exception happens with the controllers connected and disconnected (bluetooth disabled)

• HI James,

Have you installed the latest insider build SDK? You can find it here - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windowsinsiderpreviewSDK

If not, that would be a good place to start

• Hi Jesse, thanks for the reply. I did install it, but I will try again - worth a shot!

• Uninstalled and reinstalled the latest insider build SDK and the issue persists.

• I had similar experience even though the stack trace looks different. This seems to impact certain portions of the laptop computers with NVidia card. What's your computer hardware ?

• Hi @ahalim, I'm on a desktop with an i7 and nvidia gtx 1080, newest nvidia drivers as of 3 days ago. This is only happening on 16257, though works fine on creators update.
  • @james_acres yes the crash occurs consistently after updating to 16257. The same app works fine on my desktop with Radeon. I know some other folks with laptop+gtx don't have this issue. I really hope MS will fix this on the next preview build.

• Did you try updating the graphics driver? I'm sure it did with WU but just checking.

• Yes I got the latest nvidia drivers for the gtx.
    I used the preview sdk 16257 with same version (16257) of preview windows 10.

The weird thing is that if I actually debug the app (running it with debugger attached) sometimes it would run ok. But deploy and run always fails.
  • I'm seeing this on my home configuration as well. But my work PC, which is pretty similar to my home PC is not doing this.

Are you building as debug, master, or release? If not master, can you try master?

Also, are you using 2017.2b7? if not, can you try the following command line switch to your app.cs file:

public App()
    {
    SetupOrientation();
    m_AppCallbacks = new AppCallbacks();
    m_AppCallbacks.AddCommandLineArg("-force-d3d11-no-singlethreaded");
    // Allow clients of this class to append their own callbacks.
    AddAppCallbacks(m_AppCallbacks);
    }

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

(Daddy, what does 'now formatting drive C:' mean?)

• @Patrick said:
    I'm seeing this on my home configuration as well. But my work PC, which is pretty similar to my home PC is not doing this.

Are you building as debug, master, or release? If not master, can you try master?

Also, are you using 2017.2b7? if not, can you try the following command line switch to your app.cs file:

public App()
    {
    SetupOrientation();
    m_AppCallbacks = new AppCallbacks();
    m_AppCallbacks.AddCommandLineArg("-force-d3d11-no-singlethreaded");
    // Allow clients of this class to append their own callbacks.
    AddAppCallbacks(m_AppCallbacks);
    }

Thanks for looking into this.
    I am using 2017.2.b7.
    After building using master, my app won't even start.

Btw, I noticed the following first chance exception thrown everytime the app went into dark.
    Exception thrown at 0x00007FFFE34D1B88 (KernelBase.dll) in Mixed Reality Academy Project Island.exe: 0x40080201: WinRT originate error (parameters: 0x000000008004006A, 0x000000000000008A, 0x0000004F98AFE470).

The exception is actually handled, but just noticed this always popped up when things don't work.

• Hey ahalim, I realized that my work configuration was using 2017.2b8 (I had an early version) and my home was using 2017.2b7. I believe that 2017.2b8 will get you past the crash (remove that command line argument in app.cs if you added it) but you are going to experience a very short rendering distance.

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

• The b8 has lots of API breaking changes!! This is horrible :(
  • > @Patrick said:
    > Hey ahalim, I realized that my work configuration was using 2017.2b8 (I had an early version) and my home was using 2017.2b7. I believe that 2017.2b8 will get you past the crash (remove that command line argument in app.cs if you added it) but you are going to experience a very short rendering distance.

hey @patrick, are you aware that the b8 has many api changes that break MR250 and also the 2017.2 branch of the holotoolkit ? Some types are renamed etc.
  • Oops... I forgot about the API changes. Kurtis is working on getting this into MixedRealityToolkit. I've just pushed my changes to MR250.

===

• Thanks- that was fast!

So MR250 now requires b8 ?

• Yes.

===

• @Patrick , yes it does fix the crash. Nice work and much thanks!
    So what was fixed btw ?

• The fix was in Unity's source, so I'm not sure what the fix was. To be honest, I don't consider the problem fully fixed. Something is still quite wrong with rendering. I'm hopeful that a 2017.2b9 drop will get us back to fully working again.

===

• I could tell you there are 2 problems that used to exist consistently (but now seemed to have been fixed)
    1. AV exception thrown, reading address 0x0 - and the faulting stack trace has the nvidia dll on it.
    2. No unhandled exceptions, all threads are running but you are seeing black screen.