Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

No Video Signal in headset, but device is tracking - Acer MR Headset

So the problem; My Acer headset tracks just fine through the Mixed Reality portal, but I'm getting no visual signal in the headset.

I've run through the suggested fixes on the Mixed Reality support doc such as switching simulator mode on and off, DWM task reset, and closing the MR Portal. None of those have worked.

I have managed to get signal going a few times, by disconnecting the headset entirely, and rebooting. Once booted up, I reconnect the headset, and I've got signal... that starts to flicker and cut out after about 10-15 seconds, until eventually (within 30 seconds) the signal is gone entirely.

I've tried all of the following to resolve this issue:

• Use different USB3.0 ports (Not using ASRock ports, but Intel USB ports)
  • Disconnect all other devices that could interfere, leaving just input and the headset.
  • Update all display and chip-set drivers
  • Instead of connecting directly to the GPU HDMI, connect to Displayport through an HDMI to DP adapter (rule out HDMI port issues)
  • Move from Creators build to latest Insider Fast 16257
  • Again, check and verify all drivers while running 16257
  • Test headset on a different computer to determine whether it was defective, it's not. It "works" fine on a Surface Pro 3 with Creators update 15063 (though runs at like 5 FPS)
  • Clean installation of Windows 10 on a different SSD (same machine), updated to Creators Update 15063, latest drivers installed

None of these have resolved the no signal issue. Here's a hardware rundown:

CPU Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4Ghz
MB Asus P8Z77-V PRO
GPU GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme
RAM 16GB RAM

It's not the latest and greatest hardware, will be testing the headset tomorrow on a more recent machine with a 1080, and newer cpu/mb, but according to the MR portal, it really should run on this hardware... hell it "ran" on a SP3.

Would love some help or ideas on what to try next.

Answers

• After extensive testing between several varying test rigs, we determined the issues with signal drop out were present on any machine running a 980ti. Those same machines when running a GTX 1080 ran flawlessly.

This doesn't really pan out into any kind of viable solution. Replacing all of our 980ti cards with 1080s isn't really the direction we'd like to go in. Has anyone else with a 980ti experienced these kind of signal dropout issues?

• You responded to a post of mine concerning my similar issue with an HP headset. My video card is an EVGA GTX 980ti. I'm hoping my replacement HMD will arrive sometime next week.

I forgot that I have a GTX 970 I could've tested with before exchanging. I'll try to remember to post the results of working with the new headset.

• Interesting, yeah I'd be very curious to see if your 970 works. We're also looking into replacing the headset in case it really is a unit issue, but that's difficult to believe considering how we don't have any issues on the same machines with a 1080.

• I'm having the same issue and also using a GTX 980 Ti

• @gene said:
    I'm having the same issue and also using a GTX 980 Ti

Hey Gene, any chance you have access to an alternate GPU to swap in for testing?

• Update: After waiting a couple of weeks for a replacement HP headset, I've decided to buy an Acer and get a straight refund on the other. I'll test on both my 980ti and 970 when it arrives.

• fcapella, I received my Acer headset today (after returning an HP) and it works fine on my 980ti.

• @1k0nX said:
    fcapella, I received my Acer headset today (after returning an HP) and it works fine on my 980ti.

Really? Sounds like it could have been just a defective headset. I ended up returning mine, may wait a bit and give it another go in a few weeks.

• @fc000 said:
    After extensive testing between several varying test rigs, we determined the issues with signal drop out were present on any machine running a 980ti. Those same machines when running a GTX 1080 ran flawlessly.

This doesn't really pan out into any kind of viable solution. Replacing all of our 980ti cards with 1080s isn't really the direction we'd like to go in. Has anyone else with a 980ti experienced these kind of signal dropout issues?

• I have an MSI GTX 1080 Founders edition running three monitors. How do I set the Acer MRH up? Do I have to disable something;cause while MRH traces and tracks controllers, it will not come on with an HDMI splitter or directly into the HDMI output of my GTX.

Chas