Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

HP Windows MR headset quality

2»

Answers

• So, today I received my Rift headset. What can I say?.. It's an ABSOLUTELY different experience of VR, no comparison at all! "Oculus VR" guys did a really great job, and created a great product!

I understand that HP/Acer headjunks... sorry, headsets are dev. edition experimental stuff but what I don't understand, why HP/Acer hardware engineers don't even tried the real product before starting development/producing?!

First of all, my Rift has a physical IPD (interpupillary distance) adjuster and of damn course it works as it SUPPOSED TO BE! So, the image is crisp and focused, no special "HP Fresnel Lenses" effect and no eyes- and head-aches anymore! Yeah, it's kinda "nontechnical" but IT WORKS!

I'll not touch a software 'cause Microsoft's "Cliff" will burn and destroy his ugly house if he got a chance to see what the "Oculus VR" software engineers prepared as a standard demo/setup utility :D:D

Don't even had a chance to start trying development today: I literally can't get headset to my hands from my older daughter (7.5 yo). Just a reminder (see my previous posts), she took off HP headset right after 30 seconds of trying and said she'll never tried that ... stuff again.

So, as I expected: Microsoft's subcontractors did a BAD job; VR experience is exciting but require a professional level (I believe, indie guys can't get a real success on this field but it's just a my opinion). So, dear MS employees who's reading this forum, please tell your managers that MS did another huge mistake. I don't understand why MS pushed that important project to the third party? MS can make a real great hardware...

And I don't understand another thing: why MS is pushing marketing BS "mixed reality" while it still has at least 33% very loyal Xbox 360 & One customers?! Why not release a VR headset especially for Xboxes?!

@Jesse_McCulloch, I understand your position; looks like you wants only "oh, MS wow!" comments here but I do have my "real life" opinion, and I know what I'm talking about! Now I do have an experience.

• I have no problem with people having "real life" opinions. I have often publicly complained about things I don't like, even here in the Microsoft forum. Then I try to help solve the problem. But once I decide that a product is not worth my time, I usually don't hang around in places that are specific to that product. I guess I don't have time to waste on things that I think are a waste of my time. To each their own, I am glad that you are happy with your Rift purchase. VR and AR are amazing experiences that are going to revolutionize the world over, and I'm glad you found one that works well for you.

• @sensboston I got my acer headset a few days ago. It is very sharp and works well beyond my expectations. You might've gotten the defective product, so my suggestions is don't give it up yet, get another headset that works, I think you will not be disappointed.

• @sensboston The HP headset has a smaller 'sweetspot' in the view for non-blurry vision than the Rift does. However, the Rift requires peripherals to use the tracking system with, and does not work natively with Windows. It also has a lower resolution. For the average consumer, the new Microsoft headsets are perfect as an introduction to high-end VR. If we're talking pure quality of immersion, the Rift is a solid device, but is still outclassed by the HTC Vive. Unfortunately the average person usually doesn't want to dedicate an entire space to setting these two headsets up with their tracking towers, and the cheap price/plug-and-play usage makes the Microsoft headsets very attractive.

I'm glad you found a solution that works for you. However, I would not be so strongly opinionated against the Microsoft headsets while having barely spent any time in VR at all.

• @sensboston said:
    ...VR (not a "MR" or other marketing BS, just a bad implementation of the "good old" VR!) headset...

MR is more than a marketing term and has been around since 1994 :)

• edited August 2017

@Kurtis said:
    MR is more than a marketing term and has been around since 1994 :)

From the link you've provided:

Mixed Reality (MR) visual displays, a particular subset of Virtual Reality (VR) related technologies that involve the merging of real and virtual worlds somewhere along the "virtuality continuum" which connects completely real environments to completely virtual ones.

So, MR it's about HoloLens; HP/Acer headsets are just usual (if we can call it) VR headset, no real world is "mixed" with CG, these headsets simple don't have required hardware capabilities for that. What's why I called it "marketing BS"...

• @sensboston Hi! I'm sorry you're having trouble with your device. If you or anyone else reading this has blurriness problems, I highly recommend moving the device around on your face to get a better fit and changing the IDP slider (while wearing the device) as recommended by others in this thread. To get to the IPD slider, hit the "..." menu in the mixed reality portal

Then navigate to "Headset display" and modify the "Calibration" slider.

As far as basic DirectX samples go, the templates in visual studio are a good starting point. In order to see them, you need to Install the HoloLens Emulator and Holographic Templates (you may choose to only install the templates). More info about that can be found near the bottom of the "Installation checklist for immersive headsets" section here.

There are also samples in the windows-universal-samples project. Try the ones prefixed with "Holographic". I would suggest starting with this one.

• edited August 2017 Answer ✓

@Mufifnman, could you please read the whole topic before posting? Thanks! Please don't make me an idiot: of course I already tried all possible (and useless) "advises" before sending back buggy headset to MS.

And, finally, a couple of words to the "Fresnel Lenses" lovers, please take a look to the picture of Rift and compare with the very same pic of HP junkset:

This is an industry leader:

this is a MS subcontractor's junk-hardware:

P.S. Zoom if you don't get my point right...

• He-he, not replies at all... Could you guys (who's happy with HP version of Fresnel lenses) publish your pics of the headset? Maybe, I've got a defective headset? 'Cause on my eyes the difference is too big to ignore :(

• FWIW: I got my Acer AH100 headset two weeks ago (I really don't care for HP products anymore). The headset is comfortable and light, and the visuals are stunning. Since I could not get the Motion Controllers, I got an XBox PC controller, which works well. The development is slow going, of course, but the Unity/C# platform is a big plus. I don't have an Oculus, and I realize I posted this on a HP MR thread, but did so since you mentioned the Acer.

So, some questions: Have you had a chance to compare the Oculus with the Acer? How do they compare?

What are you using for development, both software and the UI device, and how is it working out?

I'm using the "walk-around" mode setup (where you are confined to a 'glass' cage; so you don't fall down the stairs, I guess). Does Oculus have something similar?

The reason I ask is that I have longer-range plans to incorporate more devices, but don't have the money/resources to try everything.

Thanks in advance if you have the time to respond...

• edited September 2017

@batpox, as for "stunning", try to order "Oculus Rift" from Amazon first (they are damn cheap now, $365.99 only and you still have a month to play with 'em for free) and only after that please tell us what you going to call really "stunning" (of course not a MS junkware).

By the way, IMHO, that technology have no future at all. So, take my advice and save your time...

• BenSkBenSk
    edited October 2017

@sensboston said:
    @Mufifnman, could you please read the whole topic before posting? Thanks! Please don't make me an idiot: of course I already tried all possible (and useless) "advises" before sending back buggy headset to MS.

And, finally, a couple of words to the "Fresnel Lenses" lovers, please take a look to the picture of Rift and compare with the very same pic of HP junkset:

This is an industry leader:

this is a MS subcontractor's junk-hardware:

P.S. Zoom if you don't get my point right...

My first experience is with a Dell Visor and the lenses look just as horrible as those shown. I came here because I feel my vision is worse than when I started using them.

I find that the world around me (in the VR world) is blurry as anything and I needed to move closer in, or further away, to make certain aspects of the text readable.

I thought the whole point of these MR/VR devices were that you could read the text? I feel like I am looking through a world through a set of old fashion coke bottles. Absolutely Horrible!

I was hoping that mine was defective, but it seems like it is the design that is defective - even if because my PD is different. Btw, my PD is 63.

PS. I do plan on trying to continue looking for a solution, but moving it on my head did not work. I will try the software PD and see if that helps, but without anything to USE it with.. it seems kind of pointless?

1. It does not seem like Minecraft works in Microsoft VR? Really?
    2. To watch a movie, if I get past the circle vision, you need to watch it on a wall and cannot make it full screen?
    3. All of the games / app experiences have been HORRIBlE - on 2 different PCs. For some reason, I start off/inside the floor and I have to look up to see things. Playing HALO I gave up when the console appears and I was looking up at the bottom of the computer terminal.