Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Getting weird fish eye effect when inside Acer headset using default unity cameras .

EvoxVREvoxVR
edited August 2017 in Q&A and Discussions

Hi Everyone I have just begun the porting process for our app into the Acer headset . I was of course excited about getting the project to build only to be disappointed when the app became visible. We are getting a weird fish eye lens effect going with our default camera settings in the headset . It looks fine on the projected single eye screen image on the computer but in the headset the field of view is skewed. It almost looks like the world is spinning around you when you turn your head it's so bad.

Are there any suggestions on what may be causing this ?

Best Answer

• EvoxVREvoxVR
    edited September 2017 Answer ✓

Ahh ok I had a chance to re-open the project and explore further and this is an implementation error on our end . I thought I'd update just in case anyone else encounters something similar.

The source of the issue comes from a line that expresses

UnityEngine.VR.VRSettings.renderScale = 1.5f;

, essentially we were changing our render scale settings upon initializing a custom camera class. I'll have to talk to my lead about why we do this but that is what so drastically threw off what I was seeing in editor at RunTime versus in the headset and also why Test scenes with no scripts looked perfectly fine . Thank you for the support Immersive Team.

Answers

• Can you post a screenshot of your camera settings?

• Absolutely, here are both our right and left eye camera settings

• I think having dual camera's might be messing you guys up. The mixed reality platform takes care of doing the camera splitting for you.

• You may be right Jesse I will play with enabling only one camera. The only issue is our app requires pretty specific applications of Stereo Rendering ( as in each eye only renders certain layers ) . I'll see if I can't utilize the single camera approach and still apply my culling mask changes after. thanks for the input though.

• So I've changed our setup to use a single camera and that didn't fix the issue , I did try reducing our clipping plane which does seem to have helped slightly however our FOX is still pretty severely skewed and whenever we turn our head in the headset our imagery is getting warped pretty badly.

When I launched a test scene with a simple plane and cube I had no issues so It could potentially be an issue with our panoramic imagery .

• EvoxVREvoxVR
    edited September 2017 Answer ✓

Ahh ok I had a chance to re-open the project and explore further and this is an implementation error on our end . I thought I'd update just in case anyone else encounters something similar.

The source of the issue comes from a line that expresses

UnityEngine.VR.VRSettings.renderScale = 1.5f;

, essentially we were changing our render scale settings upon initializing a custom camera class. I'll have to talk to my lead about why we do this but that is what so drastically threw off what I was seeing in editor at RunTime versus in the headset and also why Test scenes with no scripts looked perfectly fine . Thank you for the support Immersive Team.

• Thanks for letting us know what was going on!