Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

C++ Templates/Examples Needed

Comments

• Options
    BZYBZY
    edited August 2017

Hi,

Where we can find some of C++ or C# (not UNITY) examples, templates, etc for MR ?

In general my problem is: how to quickly convert Hololens C#/Sharp DX code to MixedRealityPortal. Program starting in 2D and next run selected files as 3D holograms (visualisation of sci data ). Is it possible now or not ready yet ?

• Options
    edited August 2017

@BZY

You can use the official Holographic templates that come with Tools Or you can download the open source templates.

To build just make sure you have the MR Portal working with your device, switch to your desktop/laptop (with the device still connected) and then open VS.Net create a project, open the appmanifest as xml - change the target device family to either "Windows.Universal" or "Windows.Desktop" then build and run locally. You will see the app run on your HP/Acer/3Glasses device.

Depending on the Insider OS Build you have the issue is the rendering is all black or something isn't quite working. If you're on an older build like the anniversary build (non insider) then everything works fine, at least from my experience.

Dwight Goins
    CAO & Founder| Independent Architect | Trainer and Consultant | Sr. Enterprise Architect
    MVP | MCT | MCSD | MCPD | SharePoint TS | MS Virtual TS |Windows 8 App Store Developer | Linux Gentoo Geek | Raspberry Pi Owner | Micro .Net Developer | Kinect For Windows Device Developer
    http://dgoins.wordpress.com

• Options
    BZYBZY
    edited August 2017

@ Dwight_Goins_EE_MVP

Thank you for your answer.

I don't have head "mounted" immersive device but previously developed for HoloLens device, now trying and testing everything on MR Portal simulator only.

MR Portal simulator working well on my machine ( always on latest insider builds). Now, with using VS2017 and simulator already tested normal UWP code (2D) and no problems with running it), but ...

My old C#/Sharp DX HoloLens code (UWP window for file selection + 3D holograms ) was developed with VS2015 and targeted for Hololens device.
    As checked it now for MR Portal (and simulator) target is local machine.

So, for MixedReality Portal simulator I need to modify appmanifest only (changing "TargetDeviceFamily name="Windows.Holographic" to Windows.Universal in old VS 2015 prgram)

Is it all (w/o any changes in code, would be great) or please to correct me ?

• Options

There's definitely something else needed to get it to work (at least on many other machines). See my other post

• Options
    MufifnmanMufifnman
    edited August 2017

@BZY, in order to run in Mixed Reality Portal, you need to rebuild your app in vs 2017 targeting the creator's update SDK (15063) or later and PCs. All of the APIs carry forward except for SpatialAnchorTransferManager, which is deprecated.
    As far as basic DirectX samples go, as @Dwight_Goins_EE_MVP said, the templates in visual studio are a good starting point. In order to see them, you need to Install the HoloLens Emulator and Holographic Templates (you may choose to only install the templates). More info about that can be found near the bottom of the "Installation checklist for immersive headsets" section here.
    There are also samples in the windows-universal-samples project. Try the ones prefixed with "Holographic". I would suggest starting with this one.