Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Unity play mode crash - Insider preview 16257

Hi. I'm experiencing a crash when starting play mode in Unity since updating to insider preview 16257. As soon as the Mixed Reality Portal starts up, I get this error from Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library: "Runtime Error! Program: The application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unexpected way."
Tried Unity 2017.2.0b4 & 2017.2.0b7, same crash.
Acer headset driver 10.0.16265.1000
Recently set up controllers, though I'm experiencing this both with controllers paired and unpaired.

Best Answer

Answers

• Yes, was previously working. Will try updating GPU driver and post back.

• That seems to have worked! Thank you!

As a side note, I'm now getting a steady stream of the following error, also new. Any ideas?

**RenderTexture.GenerateMips failed: render texture does not have mip maps (set useMipMap to true).**
    UnityEditor.EditorGUIUtility:INTERNAL_CALL_RenderGameViewCamerasInternal(RenderTexture, Int32, Rect&, Vector2&, Boolean)
    UnityEditor.EditorGUIUtility:RenderGameViewCamerasInternal(RenderTexture, Int32, Rect, Vector2, Boolean) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\artifacts\generated\common\editor\EditorGUIUtilityBindings.gen.cs:642)
    UnityEditor.GameView:OnGUI() (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\GameView\GameView.cs:747)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke(Object, Object[], Exception&)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod:Invoke(Object, BindingFlags, Binder, Object[], CultureInfo) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase:Invoke(Object, Object[]) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    UnityEditor.HostView:Invoke(String, Object) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\HostView.cs:283)
    UnityEditor.HostView:Invoke(String) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\HostView.cs:276)
    UnityEditor.HostView:InvokeOnGUI(Rect) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\HostView.cs:243)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OldOnGUI() (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\GUI\DockArea.cs:383)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IMGUIContainer:DoOnGUI(Event) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime\UIElements\Managed\IMGUIContainer.cs:127)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IMGUIContainer:HandleEvent(EventBase) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime\UIElements\Managed\IMGUIContainer.cs:213)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IMGUIContainer:DoRepaint(IStylePainter) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime\UIElements\Managed\IMGUIContainer.cs:50)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.Panel:PaintSubTree(Event, VisualElement, Matrix4x4, Rect) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime\UIElements\Managed\Panel.cs:447)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.Panel:PaintSubTree(Event, VisualElement, Matrix4x4, Rect) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime\UIElements\Managed\Panel.cs:457)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.Panel:Repaint(Event) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime\UIElements\Managed\Panel.cs:474)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.UIElementsUtility:DoDispatch(BaseVisualElementPanel) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime\UIElements\Managed\UIElementsUtility.cs:192)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.UIElementsUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime\UIElements\Managed\UIElementsUtility.cs:72)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime\IMGUI\Managed\GUIUtility.cs:175)

• Hum.. Have you installed the Windows SDK for Insiders?

French XR/MR developer / Indie Game Developer

• I have. Has it been updated since 16257 was released?

• GPU driver update seemed to fix this for a moment, then came right back.

• I've installed the latest version of the SDK for Insiders but the problem persists.

• Hum maybe @Jesse_McCulloch have some ideas?

French XR/MR developer / Indie Game Developer

• I think 2017.2b8 will make this go away. I'll warn you that there is an issue with rendering in 2b8, the end result being a short draw distance.

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

(Daddy, what does 'now formatting drive C:' mean?)

• By short, we are talking the above 20m clipping issue, right?

• Yes. In the MR250 app we presented at build you can't see the volcano from your starting point, and the rocket launch is pretty boring when the rocket disappears almost immediately after launching.

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

(Daddy, what does 'now formatting drive C:' mean?)