Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Mixed Reality Minimum Requirements and WDDM 2.2

j2inetj2inet
edited August 2017 in Q&A and Discussions

Per the Mixed Reality documentation (see here) for the headsets one of the minimum requirements is a video card that has a WDDM 2.2 driver such as the NVidia GTX 1050 based card. I got my hands on one of the GTX 1050 based cards and installed it into a computer running the Creator's Update. Upon starting the Mixed Reality application I get a screen letting me know that the computer has failed to meet minimum requirements. It identifies the video card as the problem since the driver installed is based on WDDM 2.1.

Is there something special that I need to do to get the WDDM 2.2 driver for this card? Is the documentation correct in stating that this is a supported card?

Windows Insider Build 10.10.16275.1

Best Answers

• j2inetj2inet
    edited August 2017 Answer ✓

I think I found the answer to my question. If I am correct then the Microsoft Documentation on minimum requirements needs to be updated to strike the 980 and the 1050 as compatible cards and list the 1060 as the minimum required card.

Playing with the GeForce driver software I came across a section on Stereoscopic support. I got a message saying telling me that the GTX 1050 does not support stereoscopic video. For that I would need to have at least a GTX 1050. Yes, it showed the same version of the GPU for both what I had and what I needed. When I selected the option to go to the website for more information NVidia shows that the 1060 is the minimum GPU necessary for stereoscopic support.

1060 Features
    1050 Features

The error message I received does make me think the GTX 1050 had possibly at one time been supported . At the very least it is possible that Microsoft believed that graphics cards within the same family would have about the same feature set. In either case I think that Microsoft should reevaluate minimum requirements as the requirements listed on the page may misdirect some to incompatible hardware.

Answers

• @j2inet - You want to grab the 381.65 driver from NVIDIA and install it, it should be WDDM 2.2

• j2inetj2inet
    edited August 2017

I'm running 385.28. Does it specifically need to be 381.65 or can it be any version number that is at least 381.65.

In either case I am going to try 381.65.

• No dice. I installed 381.65 and the Mixed Reality application still shows that I don't have WDDM 2.2.

• j2inetj2inet
    edited August 2017

BTW: Here are the options that were selected during the install. You can see that 381.65 shows here. Am I doing something wrong or is there something missing/wrong on the requirements page?

The 381.65 driver shows a release date of 4/5/2017.
    The 385.28 driver shows a release date of 8/13/2017

• j2inetj2inet
    edited August 2017 Answer ✓

I think I found the answer to my question. If I am correct then the Microsoft Documentation on minimum requirements needs to be updated to strike the 980 and the 1050 as compatible cards and list the 1060 as the minimum required card.

Playing with the GeForce driver software I came across a section on Stereoscopic support. I got a message saying telling me that the GTX 1050 does not support stereoscopic video. For that I would need to have at least a GTX 1050. Yes, it showed the same version of the GPU for both what I had and what I needed. When I selected the option to go to the website for more information NVidia shows that the 1060 is the minimum GPU necessary for stereoscopic support.

1060 Features
    1050 Features

The error message I received does make me think the GTX 1050 had possibly at one time been supported . At the very least it is possible that Microsoft believed that graphics cards within the same family would have about the same feature set. In either case I think that Microsoft should reevaluate minimum requirements as the requirements listed on the page may misdirect some to incompatible hardware.

• I'm confirming with some people internally, but I believe you are correct. If so, thank you, and even if not, thank you for bringing this to our attention!

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

(Daddy, what does 'now formatting drive C:' mean?)

• @Patrick said:
    I'm confirming with some people internally, but I believe you are correct. If so, thank you, and even if not, thank you for bringing this to our attention!

Thanks for having an internal discussion about it. I appreciate it.

In case any of this information is of value:

I don't know how closely coupled that the Microsoft requirements for the Immersive headset are tied to what NVidia calls "VR Ready." If they are totally unrelated then ignore the rest of this.

The information on NVidia's site isn't perfectly consistent across the site. Looking at the URL https://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/vr you'll find the following.

"Discover next-gen VR performance powered by the GeForce GTX 10-Series GPUs. The GeForce GTX 10-Series enables the lowest latency and plug-and-play compatibility with leading VR headsets - driven by NVIDIA VRWorks technology."
    Anyway, keep clicking through the site and you find some more information at https://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/vr/vr-ready-program

"GeForce GTX VR Ready GPU Performance Requirements
    GeForce GTX GPU's that meet the performance requirements of VR Ready include GeForce GTX 970, GTX 980, GTX 980 Ti, TITAN X, GTX 1080 Ti, GTX 1080, GTX 1070, GTX 1060. NVIDIA partners that meet these standards display a "GeForce GTX VR Ready" badge on their systems and graphics cards"

The 1050 doesn't appear in that line up. (The 1020 and 1030 don't either, but those were not listed as compatible on Microsoft's site).

Anyway, after driving to many stores and finding shelves full of either the GTX 1050's or the astronomically high end cards I finally have gotten my hands on a GTX 1060. Won't be able to get back to my computer to try it until Tuesday though. Fingers crossed that it will work.

• We do have several people internally using the 1050. I'm following up to ensure that they have been successful.

A dxdiag log from your PC would be useful. I wonder if doing the 'clean install' from NVIDIAs installer, and only installing the graphics driver would help.

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

• I don't know how much a DXDiag would help now. After getting the messages from both the Microsoft Mixed Reality Portal that the card didn't meet requirements and the NVidia Geforce application told me that the card wasn't supported for Stereoscopic video I took the card back to the store. It is no longer in my possession.

Tomorrow evening I'll be able to try with a GTX 1060 (the lowest for which NVidia claims Stereoscopic support). If I get the same type of message from it then I'll post a DXDIAG dump here.

Until then the best I can do is share the SKU of the card that I had used.

Under the ID system that Best Buy uses it was VCGGTX10502 branded by PNY. The Best Buy product page can be found here: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pny-xlr8-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-2gb-gddr5-pci-express-3-0-graphics-card-black/5711723.p?skuId=5711723 . The PNY info page on it can be found here: http://www.pny.com/geforce-gtx-1050-2gb

Any idea what DSCaps one would need to look for in identifying a supported card?

• @TonyLeone said:
    You can skip the check with registry key

Had not realized that was possible! Just did a search and found the key. Now if I only still had the card...

• I have confirmation from someone using the 1050 that it is working but the frame rate isn't great.

===

• Using a GTX 1050 with driver version 384.76

DXDIAG reports driver is WDDM 2.2 capable

Nvidia Control Panel allows enabling SteroScopic 3d support and gives me the set up options.

I do not yet have the Halo Lens to test with but it is coming (HP Dev Version). Will update when I have tested it.

• @TonyLeone said:
    You can skip the check with registry key

Would you point me to the registry key(s) to edit in order to skip the hardware check? I tried searching and came up empty. My Yoga 720 with 1050 is also reporting driver incompatibility..

• MS optimized the engine and changed the check...in the os build 16278 we dont need to create tje registry key. If you run the setup of the mixed reality software and you dont have a gpu driver compliant with wddm 2.2 you see only a warning...and you can see the tree with all the color and not only white...

• Using Windows Mixed Reality with a WDDM 2.1 driver could potentially cause some graphical glitches that are not pleasant to experience. Hence, users with WDDM 2.1 drivers will see a warning sign on the checker app next to graphics driver. The checker app will no longer prevent users from attempting the experience, but does issue that warning.

If a WDDM 2.2 driver is not yet published for your graphics card on Windows Update, check with the vendor's website, as it may not yet have been published to the Microsoft service.

The experience should be better with WDDM 2.2, so it is heavily recommended. This isn't a generic statement of "get the latest software"; there are technical changes there that really do make a difference for Windows Mixed Reality.

• The NVidia GTX 1050 graphics card should work fine with Mixed Reality using the latest NVidia.com driver 385.69+ https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/123936

Please give it a try.

• For what it's worth, I'm using a GTX 960 with Insider Build 16296, and driver 385.69. It drives my Acer headset, and a 4k monitor, at the same time... well-enough to view the preview apps.

• I'm running the HP headset on a 1050 (yoga 720 laptop) with wddm 2.2 drivers installed. But I get a lot of flickering and vertical blue / red lines on my headset screen, which make the experience unbearable. Is my headset broken or is that what happens when you run on a 1050M? Anyone else running on a Lenovo Yoga 720?
  • @raphadko said:
    I'm running the HP headset on a 1050 (yoga 720 laptop) with wddm 2.2 drivers installed. But I get a lot of flickering and vertical blue / red lines on my headset screen, which make the experience unbearable. Is my headset broken or is that what happens when you run on a 1050M? Anyone else running on a Lenovo Yoga 720?

I have not seen that laptop specifically used, but the 1050 mobile version should be able to handle Windows Mixed Reality, provided it is using WDDM 2.2 drivers as you indicated.

Please try reposting this inquiry in its own thread so that we can get the right folks to take a look at it.