Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

HolographicSpace::SetDirect3D11Device throwing exception

Maybe someone has seen this before...

In the spinning-cube template, I'm seeing this line throw a COM exception:
m_holographicSpace->SetDirect3D11Device(m_d3dInteropDevice);

Looks like the root of the exception is:

analog\common\exclusiveapptransport\lib\holographicpresentationsource.cpp(200)\Windows.Mirage.dll!00007FFAB0A5097A: (caller: 00007FFAB0A4E856) ReturnHr(1) tid(5b5c) 8007000E Not enough storage is available to complete this operation.

... and it bubbles up the call stack until it continues throwing in a loop. Consequently, SetDirect3D11Device never returns and my own exception handling is never triggered.

Windows build 16257, MR drivers 10.0.16265.100, AH100 (Acer headset)

Looks like I've plenty of free RAM, VRAM, and disk space -- not sure which if any resource it's out of.

Comments

• Small correction -- it bubbles up the call stack, but the sample doesn't have any exception handling code to be triggered so the loop is just the IDE handling a boring unhandled exception.

• Something like that was seen in a lot of apps and fixed in recent builds. I just tried the spinning cube template on my system (running 16269) and it runs without that exception, although the framerate seemed pretty bad. If you are on insider fast your build should get updated.

One recommendation from the developer updating the template is to remove the calls to DiscardView from DeviceResources.cs from the current template. I did that to my template and it did improve the frame rate, though not significantly.

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

(Daddy, what does 'now formatting drive C:' mean?)

• edited August 2017

Thanks for the info.

@Patrick said:
    (running 16269)

Interesting, I'm using an older version, but I'm not being shown a newer version to update to via Windows Updates -- that might be the crux of my issue. I'm new to using Windows Insider -- is there another way I should be receiving Insider versions?

I am on the Fast ring for the Insider program.

• If you are on the insider fast ring, you have it setup right as far as I know. How flights make it to people is a bit of a mystery to me though. :) According to the public site, 16257 is the latest build, though 16267 did just release for /server/. Hopefully the desktop version is close behind.

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

(Daddy, what does 'now formatting drive C:' mean?)

• Dona Sarkar tweeted yesterday that things were looking good for an insider fast ring build today

• Thanks guys, got 16273 now. (Crosses fingers!)

• There is a question about Holographic DirectX11 APP (Universal Windows).

By the way, everything is the latest edition.

Then VisualC# is possible.

But it isn't possible to move SetDirect3D11Device by VisualC++.

How should it be done?