Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Mixed Reality 250

I have built the Mixed Reality 250 project, the Acer headset has joined the hololens island session however both headsets cannot see each other.

In addition the hololens cannot join the acer session, only the other way around. The screen becomes black on the hololens.

What am I missing to finish this project?

Answers

• I believe the session must be created by Hololens. The immersive can enter the island without joining session but will not be able to see each other, that's probably what happened to you. So first figure out why the app does not work on the hololens.
  • The app does work on the hololens when joining the session first as you said.
    It’s when the Acer joins there is not interaction between the headsets.
  • Ok so the app runs fine on the hololens.
    Do you see the clouds hovering the users head?
  • No clouds and the Hololens user cannot see the Acer player in the island. So it is a connection problem of some sort ?
  • Hard to say. This is certainly unexpected results. I would double check the codes again just to make sure nothing is missing in the projects.
  • It does sound like there are some network issues involved. Can you possibly try it on a home network or something like that, were there is less likely to be any sort of port blocking/firewall issues?

• if you tap the debug button on the back of the volcano is there any debug spew? (on the immersive device you can use the 'x' button on the Xbox controller to toggle the debug panel, it will be backward since it is on the back of the volcano, and the app literally uses the same model scaled up for immersive. :) )

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

(Daddy, what does 'now formatting drive C:' mean?)

• Thanks for all your help.

When the Acer headset joins the hololens session the debug panel throws a “null reference exception object reference not set to instance of an object”

Any thoughts on why this would be the case ?
  • Any thoughts, I imagine I’m forgetting something simple here ?
  • if there is a null reference exception, there should be a stack with the script that is referencing null. Usually this means that some parameter in a script that is meant to be set in the scene hasn't been set. Does 'UsLand' have a parent object set on its level control script? If not, MixedRealityLand should be set as the parent.

Which scene are you building? The SharedMixedRealityLand scene is the one I've spent the most time testing.

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

• Tam66662Tam66662
    edited August 2017

@BillyGBabs Regarding the null reference exception, you're not missing anything, it is a bug. I submitted a workaround to the git repository for this project last month, but I don't think it was ever fixed. Basically, you need to edit the MixedRealityTeleport.cs script and wrap the Update method to only run on immersive headsets (i.e. IsDisplayOpaque = true). Take a look at the link for more details.

• oh, this is the fade script thing? I'll get that fixed.

===