Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

How can Holograms Block the real things

edited September 2017 in Questions And Answers

How to Rending the model in unity for let it can bolck the real things in HOLOLENS? Thanks!

Best Answers

• Options
    CarlvHCarlvH
    Answer ✓

What do you exactly mean by blocking? Do you want to hide real objects by displaying virtual one in front of them?

The holograms are displayed by light points. Therefore objects with a bright color (white, red, green, blue) can be rendered and their "appearance can "block" real objects. This means that the human eye can not see whats behind the virtual objects as its color is strong. If you try to do this with objects which are dark i.e. use black as a color that real world will shine through as the HoloLens is not able to render black.
    Also make sure to set your alpha-channel to max. you might have to increase the general brightness of your HoloLens as well.

Some shaders performe better than others. If you do not use any light sources you might get better results by using an "unlit"-Shader for the material applied to your GameObject.

• Options
    james_ashleyjames_ashley ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@sherwooash,

Virtual objects can't block real world objects because of the way the lenses work. Augmented content is additive. Often this won't matter because the human brain will compensate -- but if you concentrate you will always be able to see real world objects behind your virtual objects. If you stream video content from the hololens, the compositing works differently so that occlusion really seems to happen -- this sometimes makes people think the actual hololens experience is identical, though it is not.

James Ashley
    VS 2017 v5.3.3, Unity 2017.3.0f3, MRTK 2017.1.2, W10 17063
    Microsoft MVP, Freelance HoloLens/MR Developer
    www.imaginativeuniversal.com

Answers

• Options
    CarlvHCarlvH
    Answer ✓

What do you exactly mean by blocking? Do you want to hide real objects by displaying virtual one in front of them?

The holograms are displayed by light points. Therefore objects with a bright color (white, red, green, blue) can be rendered and their "appearance can "block" real objects. This means that the human eye can not see whats behind the virtual objects as its color is strong. If you try to do this with objects which are dark i.e. use black as a color that real world will shine through as the HoloLens is not able to render black.
    Also make sure to set your alpha-channel to max. you might have to increase the general brightness of your HoloLens as well.

Some shaders performe better than others. If you do not use any light sources you might get better results by using an "unlit"-Shader for the material applied to your GameObject.

• Options
    james_ashleyjames_ashley ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@sherwooash,

Virtual objects can't block real world objects because of the way the lenses work. Augmented content is additive. Often this won't matter because the human brain will compensate -- but if you concentrate you will always be able to see real world objects behind your virtual objects. If you stream video content from the hololens, the compositing works differently so that occlusion really seems to happen -- this sometimes makes people think the actual hololens experience is identical, though it is not.

James Ashley
    VS 2017 v5.3.3, Unity 2017.3.0f3, MRTK 2017.1.2, W10 17063
    Microsoft MVP, Freelance HoloLens/MR Developer
    www.imaginativeuniversal.com

• Options

@james_ashley,
    thank you for your answer. from your answer,i know the differences of the lenses work and the stream video content. So i can only use bright color to render the Objects and let their appearance can "block" real objects.

• Options

@CarlvH ,
    thank you for your answer. i find the reason is i use so less light sources. So i use the "unlit/texture"-Shader for the material,and increase the general brightness of my HoloLens. Then the objects in my scene can "block" real objects.