Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

We should have a place for comments for the tutorials.

edited April 2016 in Discussion

EDIT: this was found to be an incorrect assumption, so the Holoteam can feel free to delete this post. --els

READ NO FURTHER.

I'm speaking specifically of the "device" tutorials. I have real devices here, and the fact that only Wave 1 has devices may be determining the lack of comments. I'm hoping to help Wave 2 people.

In the tutorial, there is a typo, it would appear.

Drag Stage into the Hierarchy to be a child of OrigamiCollection.
•Drag Sphere1 into the Hierarchy to be a child of OrigamiCollection.
•Drag Sphere2 into the Hierarchy to be a child of OrigamiCollection.

The spheres should be children of Stage. If they are not, they are placed in the world, and won't work as expected.

So it should read:
Drag Stage into the Hierarchy to be a child of OrigamiCollection.
•Drag Sphere1 into the Hierarchy to be a child of Stage.
•Drag Sphere2 into the Hierarchy to be a child of Stage.

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• I meant to hit "yes", to the "does this answer your question" question... oops.

• Checked with the team on this one to get a second opinion: All of the dragging needs to be done into the HIERARCHY panel, NOT the Scene View panel..

You may have experienced odd behavior if you missed dragging the sphere as a child of the OrigamiCollection initially and moved it to the collection after, rather than deleting and re-creating+dragging

• okay, I would remove my comment if I could, as I don't wish to confuse others. I think this point also came up in our Holographic Academy. It is difficult to tell whether things are children of an object the way that Unity displays things in that panel. I think a few more pixels of indentation would be nice.

But I cannot see, so there is that!

-thanks for taking the time.
    -e

• My main problem with the academy tutorials is they aren't directly based on the HoloToolkit. So if you start with the toolkit and want to see how a certain thing is done based on the academy, you can't relate them because the scripts are similar but significantly enough modified to make sense of them.
    I'd rather the tutorials took a start in the toolkit and then modified them where needed (but in many cases it's really just that the API got changed or properties renamed rather than adding additional functionality)