Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Audio not working in Mixed Reality

This used to work before, but starting a few days ago I can hear no audio when in the Mixed Reality Portal. No sound effects, and no sound from the video and music apps either. Same when launching my own game. I've tried with the "audio in headset" setting both on and off, but nothing seems to change.

I've tried uninstalling and re-installing Mixed Reality. I can hear Cortana during the tutorial process, but the audio cuts off once I get back into the Portal area proper. I've also checked the audio device in the taskbar icon is the correct one, and I've tried to set Spatial Sound both on and off. Nothing seems to work.

I'm on build 16281. Any ideas I could try?
Thanks.

Best Answer

• SerhidalSerhidal
    Answer ✓

Update: So it appears this is related to having a default Bluetooth audio device, since I have sound when using a wired headset instead (should have tried this first).

It's strange, because this same bluetooth headset works perfectly fine when not in Mixed Reality, and it used to work with MR in the past.

In any case, I have reported the problem via the Feedback Hub, and will use only wired headsets for MR from now on :(

Answers

• First, make sure that input focus is on mixed reality (the windows+y key combination).

Second, check the volume meter in the pins menu in mixed reality. You can adjust, and mute, the volume from there.

Third, open the desktop app inside of mixed reality, and click the speaker in the taskbar and fiddle with the playback properties to make sure that audio is playing through the speakers you are using in mixed reality.

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

(Daddy, what does 'now formatting drive C:' mean?)

• Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately it didn't solve the issue, but now I'm pretty sure the audio is indeed active and trying to play through the proper audio device: when raising the volume, I started hearing some faint popping / stuttering noises that are only present when in Mixed Reality mode.

• SerhidalSerhidal
    Answer ✓

Update: So it appears this is related to having a default Bluetooth audio device, since I have sound when using a wired headset instead (should have tried this first).

It's strange, because this same bluetooth headset works perfectly fine when not in Mixed Reality, and it used to work with MR in the past.

In any case, I have reported the problem via the Feedback Hub, and will use only wired headsets for MR from now on :(

• okay, thanks! I'll add that to my list of things. Bluetooth headsets aren't supported when using the motion controllers, so using a wired headset is probably for the best.

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

(Daddy, what does 'now formatting drive C:' mean?)

• Is that actually correct, that Bluetooth headsets aren't supported when using motion controllers? Is that documented anywhere? Not arguing, just surprised.