Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

"RenderTexture.GenerateMips failed"

I'm getting a steady stream of this error since updating to Insider Preview 16257. It's related to Unity's internal render process, not my code. Any ideas?

RenderTexture.GenerateMips failed: render texture does not have mip maps (set useMipMap to true).
UnityEditor.EditorGUIUtility:INTERNAL_CALL_RenderGameViewCamerasInternal(RenderTexture, Int32, Rect&, Vector2&, Boolean)
UnityEditor.EditorGUIUtility:RenderGameViewCamerasInternal(RenderTexture, Int32, Rect, Vector2, Boolean) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\artifacts\generated\common\editor\EditorGUIUtilityBindings.gen.cs:642)
UnityEditor.GameView:OnGUI() (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\GameView\GameView.cs:747)
System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke(Object, Object[], Exception&)
System.Reflection.MonoMethod:Invoke(Object, BindingFlags, Binder, Object[], CultureInfo) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
System.Reflection.MethodBase:Invoke(Object, Object[]) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
UnityEditor.HostView:Invoke(String, Object) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\HostView.cs:283)
UnityEditor.HostView:Invoke(String) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\HostView.cs:276)
UnityEditor.HostView:InvokeOnGUI(Rect) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\HostView.cs:243)
UnityEditor.DockArea:OldOnGUI() (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\GUI\DockArea.cs:383)
UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IMGUIContainer:DoOnGUI(Event) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime\UIElements\Managed\IMGUIContainer.cs:127)
UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IMGUIContainer:HandleEvent(EventBase) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime\UIElements\Managed\IMGUIContainer.cs:213)
UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IMGUIContainer:DoRepaint(IStylePainter) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime\UIElements\Managed\IMGUIContainer.cs:50)
UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.Panel:PaintSubTree(Event, VisualElement, Matrix4x4, Rect) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime\UIElements\Managed\Panel.cs:447)
UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.Panel:PaintSubTree(Event, VisualElement, Matrix4x4, Rect) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime\UIElements\Managed\Panel.cs:457)
UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.Panel:Repaint(Event) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime\UIElements\Managed\Panel.cs:474)
UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.UIElementsUtility:DoDispatch(BaseVisualElementPanel) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime\UIElements\Managed\UIElementsUtility.cs:192)
UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.UIElementsUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime\UIElements\Managed\UIElementsUtility.cs:72)
UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime\IMGUI\Managed\GUIUtility.cs:175)

Answers

• No idea but I've been getting the same thing.

• Same but I'm not on the preview. Running 2017.1.0p5

• I see of ton of "RenderTexture.GenerateMips failed" messages for 2017.1.0p5 in the HoloLens Emulator. I didn't see a workaround in the link provided by @Jesse_McCulloch. Is there one, or wait for the next patch? Thanks.

• @tshadle - Should not need a work around. It's supposed to be a benign error. Are you seeing it actually effect your app?

• @Jesse_McCulloch - I just tried it this morning, and though I got long series of messages the app did run in the emulator successfully. Thanks for following up.

• It's sort of benign, but it spams the console so much it makes it hard to debug.

ralphbarbagallo.com - flarb.com - @flarb

• Just got this myself. Right, spamming the console making it hard to debug. Would be nice if the console window had a way to filter errors. Feature request!

• I just got this error too and it drops performance dramatically.

Building the future of holographic navigation. We're hiring.

• I believe this has been fixed on 2017.2 - Is anyone still seeing it cause problems there? Or are we only talking about 2017.1 at this point?

• Yes, the problem is fixed for me in 2012.2.0b11. Thank you for the suggestions. I have a weird choppy raycasting behaviour now though. Let's see if it's me or Unity...

• stepan_stulovstepan_stulov ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017

2017.2.0b11 also seems to not be visible behind the firewall despite being explicitly added as an exception.

UPDATE: Firewall exceptions got confused about multiple Unity versions. Cleaned it up and it works.

• Any news on how to deactivate/filter this message? It's quite annoying. I don't want to use Unity 2017.2 until it's out of beta.

• @TortuousSplash - What is your definition for it being out of beta? The b releases are over and we are on to standard f releases now on 2017.2.0

• For anyone who is looking for a way to filter or ignore console messages (and doesn't mind spending $30) there is an asset called Editor Console Pro by FlyingWorm that I tried out and it works well. Of course there are other features which I'm sure I will find useful for my 30 bucks...(I hope). Works with 2017.1.1 and the developer was quick to answer my question about how to ignore those messages. From that e-mail response:
    Go to Preferences -> Wrappers and Ignore, and there is an Ignore Logs section. Just press the + and put in:
    RenderTexture.GenerateMips

I hope Unity will consider taking a deal with Flying Worm to put this Asset into the base Unity IDE like they did with TextMeshPro.

• The rendertexture error is fixed in 2017.1.2p1.