Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Simplygon, a simple way to get your content HoloLens-ready

edited November 2016 in Projects

Content for mobile AR/VR apps needs to be extremely well optimized, as you all probably already know.
Simplygon is a platform that lets you automatically optimize 3D content such as meshes and textures for different purposes with no or minimal manual labor. You can use Simplygon to create LOD chains, reduce draw calls, combine several high-res meshes into one cheaper mesh, optimize a scene for certain viewing angles, remove invisible geometry and so much more.
With Simplygon in your content pipeline for your AR app, you can take complex data and compress that into something that not only looks great, but also runs well on your target hardware. Here is a video that shows how a highly tesselated asset is brought into Hololens using our toolset: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RGGV4KUsrM&t=3s

Simplygon was recently released with a new free offer for personal, non-commercial and educational use. You can also contact us to get a fully featured evaluation license, to see how we can help you in your projects.

Comments

• Simplygon has terrible support, and has issues when trying to login to the unity plugin.

• Agree with mstew1110.

Support is so unresponsive and we simply can't login.

It is a nice promise but simply not functional atm.

• Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

@mstew1110 @MDoelle
    Updated
    Apply for a Indie Licence on Simplygon website

Download and install the Simplygon SDK SimplygonSDKSetupReleasex64_8.1.6378.exe
    There is a "licence error communication error" due to firewall blocking
    Manually add a Windows Firewall entry

Then in search box "Add entry to Windows Firewall" pass thru Control panel as below

Download Simplygon+Unity+5.X+2.5.0.unitypackage

Now complete installation of SDK by adding Simplygon Indie licence

Create new project "Simplygon+Unity+5.X+2.5.0"
    In Unity Assets -> Import package (select the Simplygon unity package)
    Import all.

Unity Menu Window -> Simplygon > Simplygon.
    A box appears on the left hand side
    from the Simplygon FAQ

Q: How do I use Simplygon Grid with Unity?
    A: You just have to login to your Grid server instead of the cloud server. Input the IP with port included, for example 127.0.0.1:55001 and login with a valid user (default is user/user).

You cannot logon to the Cloud server with a Indie licence, and so there is no account hence the "Invalid Email address/or password error" 

Click login and you are ready the SDK licence was loaded earlier on install as above

• Sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues.

This video can also help you to get started: https://youtu.be/hCPlLDcXfb0.

Here is another useful link, if you are looking for specific information: https://www.simplygon.com/knowledge-base/documentation.

• Wow. You literally just have to type in "user" where it requests email. And "user" where it requests password. That is insane, Sylvia. What a terrible platform.

edited December 2016

@mstew1110 said:
    Wow. You literally just have to type in "user" where it requests email. And "user" where it requests password. That is insane, Sylvia. What a terrible platform.

The simple login  avoids special usernames and password after all you are simply login to the SDK on your own computer using loopback IP address 127.0.0.1
    Tick the remember me box and forget about logins

Found announcement on  Simplygon Support Forum

Simplygon Cloud has been discontinued.Cloud users from before November 2016 has access to email support. If you are new, request an Indie SDK key instead.

Why not try the package first then write feedback

There is a new YouTube video Simplygon 8 - Using Simplygon in Unity 5.4 which gives a tutorial which is relevant to Unity 5.4 F3 HoloLens Technical Preview.
    This uses the character from the Unity Adam series for which the source code and Assets were recently released to convert Unity Adam to HoloLens

For those of you who want to take advantage of the new Simplygon 8 UI from the SDK.
    In Windows 10 Anniversary
    Use Windows Start Scroll down to S-> Simplygon Click on Simplygon UI.
    Click Local Start

Now you can follow the YouTube Video tutorial Simplygon 8 in 8 minutes

• mstew1110 and MDoelle,
    I handle the support at Simplygon and I would like to ask where you have not gotten a reply? I monitor our forums and our premium support quite diligently. When it comes to Youtube, Twitter and forums like this one it is not the normal support channel for us but I try to reply when I find an issue.
    As for the Unity plugin some of the design choices were based on our cloud platform which was then discontinued. In the newest version you have a button to enter the default Simplygon Grid login credentials. The user / user is just the default and can be changed in the Admin Utility - Simplygon Grid client.

• Through your own website support link. Still no answer, though I have figured the problem out as there was a response on this thread. Submitted several questions through your website without a response.

• On a positive note, once being able to finally use simplygon, it is very effective at reducing poly count.

• Sorry but where is our support link? Our forums and email are the 2 official support channels that we monitor.

• @mstew1110 said:
    Through your own website support link. Still no answer, though I have figured the problem out as there was a response on this thread. Submitted several questions through your website without a response.

@Oskar_Simplygon

@mstew1110 asked question in https://www.simplygon.com/forum/help/5571/
    I actually answered the question in the forum

General help link is appears as https://www.simplygon.com/forum/help
    You will need to login to READ the Simplygon support forum which I find amusing, as the HoloLens forum is open to read for everyone.

Please at least have a pointer to the FAQ as a "sticky" always at top entry. Simplygon FAQ

I still think its a great product for Unity 5 and I have made several test units which work well

• Is it free to use with Hololens Since MS bought this?

• It's free anyways. At least the Unity plugin is.

edited January 2017

@HoloDevices said:
    Is it free to use with Hololens Since MS bought this?

as ever the wording is the clue "Simplygon introduces free indie license", the terms for business are any company over $100,000 pays 5% , pay-as- you-sell?, used to be fixed amount. Similar licencing as Unreal UE4.14 licencing

• I have just a very simple problem there. I simply cant find a registration formular for any license?
    I would like to evaluate it. But i cant login because i cant register.

• @CaptainKrishna said:
    I have just a very simple problem there. I simply cant find a registration formular for any license?
    I would like to evaluate it. But i cant login because i cant register.

Microsoft bought simplygon so you no longer can use their stuff or even register.

• If you guys need to reduce polycounts without simplygon, my 3D modeling app allows you to do this directly from the hololens itself.

• mr0ngmr0ng ✭✭

Hey everyone - I'm having trouble getting Simplygon to work. It doesn't let me log in with the user/user login, and keeps throwing an error about no Simplygon Lib. Any ideas or help? I've attached some screenshots.

• Same here
    user/user not working
    and "no Simplygon Lib found"

• thaytonthayton
    edited June 2017

I am having license problems using the Unity plugin.
    Repro:
    Installed [SimplygonSDK_8.2.168.22055.exe]
    Imported [Simplygon_Unity_5.3_2.5.1.unitypackage] into Unity 5.3.7f1
    In Unity ran Simplygon and logged in as user/user.
    Selected mesh and clicked [Process]
    Under the ‘ManagerJobs’ it gets no further than 50% then fails with the message ‘Simplygon processing failed: Invalid Simplygon SKD license’

----------------------UPDATE------------------
    Resolved
    Run the [Simplygon Processing Agent - Simplygon Grid] that comes with the SDK installation.
    Click on the icon in the tool and go to the cog then ‘Licence’.
    Then copy across your license key from: https://account.simplygon.com/#customerportal
    Finally go back to Unity and under Simplygon login using Grid > user/user.
    Hope this helps.

• thayton, I tried what you suggest but when I click on the cog icon and then click licence it immediately comes up with the error message
    "No preferred Simplygon library"

I cant get any further than this.
    Does simplygon read this?

• No website of Simplygon Responding or Running .
    Not running on Windows 10 .
    Please solve it.

• @SrijanGod said:
    No website of Simplygon Responding or Running .
    Not running on Windows 10 .
    Please solve it.

The website will run using your Windows 10 MSA account (Hotmail) login
    using https://account.simplygon.com/#customerportal

The old login code by Simplygon don't work

• I don't get it--is Simplygon a standalone app only now? The Unity plugin doesn't work (username and password aren't valid anymore) and there's no download link on the Simplygon portal for the standalone app.

ralphbarbagallo.com - flarb.com - @flarb

• What's the story with Simplygon? The website only shows Unity SDK's until 5.6, but nothing on the website shows any compatibility for Unity 2017, which is what I need for Mixed Reality support. Though downloading 5.6 isn't a total dealbreaker, it's obviously not an ideal solution. I also could not find any standalone Simplygon download either. If anyone figures out how to get this done please let me know.