Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Xbox controller and Hololens?

So I know you can connect an Xbox controller to the HoloLens but I have yet to find any good documentation on this. Is it HoloLens specific or do I just need to look at a Unity specific guide for Xbox controllers?

AR Developer

Tagged:

Best Answer

• dbarrettdbarrett ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@greensauce yes, it is now a part of the MRTK. Specifically, you should take a look at IXboxControlllerInput. You should inherit from that script. Then inside of the OnXboxInputUpdate is where you do all your checks with eventData. If you want to know what all is support by eventData, check out the XboxControllerEventData script. All of these can be found inside of the Input Folder of the MRTK.

AR Developer

Answers

• @dbarrett,

You will need an Xbox One controller that supports Bluetooth. These came out at the same time as the Xbox One S system and the description will indicate Bluetooth support. (I'm including a link to one of the Bluetooth supported models for reference).

You can then pair it to your HoloLens using Settings > Devices.

Thanks!
    David

• james_ashleyjames_ashley ✭✭✭✭

@dbarrett,

What David said plus, to make things easier, the 2017.1.2 HTK has this new toolbar configurator in the build and deploy module:

James Ashley
    VS 2017 v5.3.3, Unity 2017.3.0f3, MRTK 2017.1.2, W10 17063
    Microsoft MVP, Freelance HoloLens/MR Developer
    www.imaginativeuniversal.com

• My question was more along the lines of how do I register Xbox controller input on the HoloLens. Sorry for the confusion. But still good info here

AR Developer

• edited October 2017

@DavidKlineMS said:
    @dbarrett,

You will need an Xbox One controller that supports Bluetooth.

This is actually only half the truth :smile:
    Any controller will do... If it is supported by this project https://github.com/x360ce/x360ce

I use for example a Logitech Wireless F710. And it works perfectly.

Edit: Nevermind.... I figured out ... It is about the hololens :D ... What I wrote is gibberish

• @dbarrett Did you ever find documentation about how to register input? When I pair up my controller (Xbox w/BT) to the HoloLens I can get the D-pad to cycle in the menus but that seems to be it. I'm pretty surprised there isn't a tutorial set in the Academy series about how to do this.

• dbarrettdbarrett ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@greensauce yes, it is now a part of the MRTK. Specifically, you should take a look at IXboxControlllerInput. You should inherit from that script. Then inside of the OnXboxInputUpdate is where you do all your checks with eventData. If you want to know what all is support by eventData, check out the XboxControllerEventData script. All of these can be found inside of the Input Folder of the MRTK.

AR Developer

• @dbarrett Thanks for the information. Unfortunately I am not a software engineer so I can't make much use of it currently. I have also found that whenever I add the MRTK package to a Unity project I get dozens of fatal build errors.

• dbarrettdbarrett ✭✭✭

@greensauce make sure you have everything that you need to build HoloLens apps installed on your computer.

AR Developer