Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Error Code S0012261-101

I've tried hooking our Acer MR headset to every computer we have, including several gaming laptops (alienware, razer blade, MSI, and Asus) and I get the exact same error code in the Mixed Reality Portal on every single one.

I can't find any documentation with the error codes so I don't even know where to begin trying to diagnose the problem. Any help y'all can provide would be much appreciated.

Best Answer

• paleahypaleahy admin
    Answer ✓

Hi Darikashi, I'm a engineer on the team. Saw your message (here and on Reddit as well. We'll get back to you a little later today with steps that you can follow. Thanks for your patience!

Answers

• What version of Windows (need the build number, should be 5 digits, somewhere between 15063 and 16299)

• They're all 16299.15

• paleahypaleahy admin
    Answer ✓

Hi Darikashi, I'm a engineer on the team. Saw your message (here and on Reddit as well. We'll get back to you a little later today with steps that you can follow. Thanks for your patience!

• @paleahy said:

Thank you so much!

• I met the same error with my Acer MR headset. My system version is 16299.19.

• edited November 2017

HELP: I am getting Mixed Reality Portal error S0002261-101, when I attach Samsung Odyssey HMD on Surface Studio with NVidia GTX980M v3888.13 drivers (23.21.13.8813 WDDM 2.3). Next, system locks up with black screen requiring power-off reboot. WIN 10 version is 1709 with OS build 16299.19; where, Windows Mixed Reality PC Test says everything is good to go.

• Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

@SteveHufnagel said:
    Help: I am getting error code S0002261-101, when I attach headset on Surface Studio with current WIN10 and Nvidia drivers?

GeForce Experience gives my current driver for HP WMR Headset. See NVidia Control Panel for quick check.
    DXDiag: Driver Version: 23.21.13.8792
    The at least same level or higher is needed for WMR headsets

Have you looked at the thread Getting a USB Device not found when plugging my Acer into my Surface Book

JHalmans_Microsoft ✭ on October 21
    There is an issue with surface book usb firmware driver that leads to the enumeration failure. The workaround in this article resolves the majority of issues.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4032123/kinect-sensor-is-not-recognized-on-a-surface-book

Can you run DXdiag in the Windows 10 search box.
    Go to Display tab "Save All Information", attach the output of Dxdiag.txt to your posting so the Engineers could look at this.

• I also have error message S0002261-101 followed by system lockup and reboot loop when launching Mixed Reality Portal on my Surface Studio.

Windows 10 Version: 1709 Build: 16299.64
    Nvdia driver: 23.21.13.8813
    Lenovo Explorer Driver: 10.0.16299.1036

It worked without any issues on my HP OMEN PC both with my old GTX970 and subsequently with the GTX1080 upgrade.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

edited November 2017

@KymD said:
    I also have error message S0002261-101 followed by system lockup and reboot loop when launching Mixed Reality Portal on my Surface Studio.

Windows 10 Version: 1709 Build: 16299.64
    Nvdia driver: 23.21.13.8813
    Lenovo Explorer Driver: 10.0.16299.1036

It worked without any issues on my HP OMEN PC both with my old GTX970 and subsequently with the GTX1080 upgrade.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

From the Guide

Recommended display port adapters for Surface:

The following display adapters are all both 60Hz and 90Hz capable.
    Mini DisplayPort (MiniDP) to HDMI:

Club 3D HDMI 2.0 Active Adapter
    Surface Mini DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 Adapter
    Plugable miniDP to Active HDMI 2.0
    Cable Matters Active Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter supporting 4K 60Hz

My display port driver for NVidia

Seems to have stopped after 2 hours. Restart PC caused errors with Bios unable to initialize driver, but still jumped into Windows 10.

The HP Omen uses an HDMI 2.0 port directly connected to the NVidia NVIDIA GeForceGTX 1050 graphics card
    see spec

Graphics:

NVIDIA GeForceGTX 1050 graphics card with 2GB RAM GDDR5.
    Dedicated graphics card.
    Interfaces and connectivity:
    3 USB 3.1 ports.
    1 USB Type-C port.
    1 HDMI port.

Therefore the error is due to the Display to HDMI adapter unable to start the Headset.
    The first error was S0002261-101, after restarting PC,
    because mine is an HP WMR Headset, the error for me is H0002210-0 after 2 hours overheats or something. My hardware troubleshooting skills are useful here!

For me the fix was to put the HP WMR back into the HDMI 2.0 port.
    Shame really, but not surprised, because of the price of Display to HDMI adapter about USD $10.

The Surface series does not have a HDMI port connected to the graphics adapter card.

The Surface Mini Display port must have a compatible adapter/cable.

edited November 2017

Windows Engineer said in thread For folks using the Microsoft Surface adapter, please double check which of the official Microsoft Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapters you are using: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/d/surface-mini-displayport-to-hdmi-20-adapter/8qj8ss92m2tl - this adapter is supported, as it supports HDMI 2.0 / 4K resolution https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/d/surface-mini-displayport-to-hdmi-adapter/8q5dqkd29gxt - this adapter is not supported, as it only supports 1080p resolution

• Same for me on Acer headset with build 16299.64. GTX 780 driver ver 23.21.13.8813. Tried with various combinations, running monitors off other cards (Quadros), so the headset gets its own exclusive card, sharing the GTX with monitors etc. Same result each time. After setup it tries to connect to device and shows above error code then locks up PC and messes with main screen.

• Doesn't look much like anybody "got back" to anybody...
    I wonder if there's a forum covering the new VR devices that's monitored by MS

• Same error code S0002261-101 after working fine for 5 days. Ive done everything as listed for trouble shooting. Uninstalling, updating drivers etc.
    Very disappointing that Microsoft isn't escalating or providing updates. I have 7 days left to refund mines, so ill most likely have to return it.

• Receiving the same error and I have no adapters. I have an RX 580 which has an HDMI 2.0 port and I have several USB 3.0-Type A ports on my MOBO. I unplugged everything except the headset (just to make sure) then I remoted in with TeamViewer so i could set everything up and I still received the error. Reset windows and still received the error. Tried the headset on a surface pro with an adapter and it worked fine. I ordered a DP 1.4 to HDMI 2.0 adapter that comes in Thursday to see if you absolutely need the adapter in our strange case.

• Ok, so i have received the Club 3D display port to HDMI 2.0 adapter and still, I am receiving the error. I will do some more digging and see if I cant find a solution.

• Hello Its March and I am still getting this error

• Any update....im getting this error S0002361-101, brand new windows install....all up to date, all drivers updated, nothing else installed on the pc.

• getting the same message S0002361-101,, help please

• chudobsnchudobsn
    edited March 2018

Same here. We have 8 new HP ZBook G4 devices. On all devices with brand new MR headsets (HP) same issue. It works once, than updates come in - nothing works. Also if we uninstall the last updates. We need an solution for this issue asap. HTC Vive is still working on that devices. HP MR Headsets are still working on HP Z VR Backpack and MSi GT 75 VR notebook. Please fix it!

Error Code S0002361-101 and everything is up to date.

• Purchased a brand new alienware 17m4 w/1080 and Samsung hmd specifically for mr and same error. I can get it the mr headset to work with the native mr portal by uninstalling kb4090913 however that breaks steam as it complains that windows is not up to date.

• @chudobsn I also have two new Zbooks G3 devices here and I have the same Error.

Yesterday I got one of the devices completely fresh and new. After the first install everything was fine. One Hour later I got the Error Code S0012261-101.....

I thought I would find some help in the Forum but it seems there is no solution yet.