Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Getting a USB Device not found when plugging my Acer into my Surface Book

It's the most powerful version of the SB with Performance Base, so spec wise it should be just fine. But when I plug in the USB, into any of the ports (all are USB 3.0, and I tried both ports on the book, and all 4 ports on the dock), I get an error. I took a screenshot of the USB errors as seen in the Device Manager.

@FranklinChen - Is this something you can point the right person to. I am on Campus thru Thursday afternoon at the Mixed Reality Academy space if someone wants to see a repro in action.

Best Answer

Answers

• FranklinChenFranklinChen admin
    edited July 2017

@Jesse_McCulloch Could you please tell me the Windows OS version and Surface model? I will try to contact with someone for this issue

• @FranklinChen - Yeah, I am running OS Build 16241.rs_prerelease.170708-1800. Surface model is the i7, 16GB Ram, 1TB Surface Book with Performance Base. I also sent an email to the [email protected] this morning. Yesterday when I tried it bounced back, but I think it went through today.

• Is Surface Pro 4 with max spec supported?

• FranklinChenFranklinChen admin
    edited July 2017

@Rapuke said:
    Is Surface Pro 4 with max spec supported?

No, the new Surface Pro(expect M3 CPU version) is supported

• mr0ngmr0ng ✭✭

@Rapuke although the official response is that it's not supported on the SP4 - I can confirm that the Acer headset works on my SP4 when in developer mode - at least on my current build.

• Why is the Surface book not supported? Can we get more details? Is this something that will be fixed eventually or will it never be supported?
  • @jasonred - The official reason is that due to the dual gpu on the surface book, it's considered a "Hybrid" graphics system. Mixed Reality Portal required display drivers that are WDDM 2.2 compatible. The NVIDIA drives are, however the Intel drivers are not for the chipset that the Surface Book uses.

That said, this issue with the USB error seems to be something different than display driver compatibility, due to the fact that the SP4 uses the same Intel chipset and driver and @mr0ng is running it on his SP4 without issue.

• So, I guess my Surface Books with performance base are worthless. I purchased several for my team to do this type of development.
    Does Microsoft have a site which can assist in disqualifying their own hardware for development with devices they have partnered with someone to develop?

These are not old technology. Microsoft should be a little embarrassed over this one.

• I completely understand and feel your pain. I'm currently working on selling mine because, like you, I bought it specifically to support doing this kind of work.

@Vanessa & @Brandon - this issue is still not surfaced on the known issues page
  • thanks for the flag! @MattZ is this something we could clarify in our docs (known issues page)?

• anthonyfanthonyf
    edited August 2017

If you disable the intel GPU, then mixed reality will launch. But I can't get the Acer headset drivers to install - perhaps SB USB doesn't kick out enough power ?

• I also have this problem in both a SB and a Pro 4. the interesting part is that the headset works as a second screen at 1440x2880 which we have found useful. i would love to force this error on other systems to do some quick experimenting.

• PS.: The USB Hub is NOT self-powered.

• BryanBryan ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

Also running into this issue. I've tried using a self-powered external SuperSpeed USB 3.0 hub and still can't get it to work. Seeing as the official launch is happening tomorrow, I'm losing hope for a fix before consumers get their hands on these. The folks at the mrhelp email said they'd try to get a clear answer on weather or not a fix is in the works, so I'll update you when I hear back. At first they directed me to this thread.

Seeing as all the official documentation and even apps that check for technical requirements would lead people to conclude that the Surface Book with Performance Base (which has an NVIDIA 965M) is powerful enough to support "Mixed Reality Ultra", this issue is going to become a big problem if the Surface Book USB drivers can't be patched. "It just works, except on our own hardware" is a rather embarrassing stance.

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/windows_mixed_reality_minimum_pc_hardware_compatibility_guidelines

Can someone at Microsoft confirm if a fix for this is in the works, or if the Surface Book with performance base will simply never support these headsets?

Either way, the hardware compatibility pages (and checker app) needs to be updated to reflect the current reality seeing as these things are hitting consumers hands tomorrow.

• edited October 2017

This is what I received from the "Mixed Reality Check" app devs after I gave them a 1 star leaving a harsh comment...

The Surface Book was released two years before the headsets. The performance base, even though released only one year before the headsets, needs updated drivers from Intel to work with mixed reality. The app is accurately reporting this. We're working with Intel to update the drivers.

I wrote back:

You should at least add a warning or Information about the issues you already know directly in the app. If Falls Creators Update is released and people are using this app to test their Surfaces (Surface Studio and Surface Pro 4 have the same issues) for compatibility and it is showing that it is compatible... And it turns out that does not work, because the Intel drivers are not ready... People will be so pissed. And trust me... The media likes to bash MS and this will come handy.

I don't know if they have considered my "feedback" and changed the app.

@Bryan - I actually bought a USB 3.0 Hub that supports SuperSpeed 2 days after my tests... And it turned out... It does not work... Well it sort of work for a few moments, then I get some driver and address errors, that I cannot fix by forcing drivers.
    So the next day I bought the Surface Dock... It also does not work... Not even for a few seconds.
    What I found out is that the headset has its own USB 3 hub where the sensors and other stuffs are connected. The USB 3 ports of the Surface Book itself is connected to a hub... So you are basically connecting a hub to a hub.
    According to the HP troubleshooting page Windows will not be able to detect the headset it is connected to a hub. It sounds weird... But well...
    Maybe in 1 or 2 years we will be able to use the Surface Books with Mixed Reality headsets....

• Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

@Fat_Bastard
    Its really difficult to fix because some Surface 4 in another thread for instance seems to work, with some changes.

There are new sets of firmware and released on 12th October 2017.

There are new versions for each Windows 10 release.
    There does not appear to be guidance on when these should be installed

What is the significance of the version
    SurfacePro4_Win10_1701001_0.msi
    implying version build 17010.*

I don't have access to a Surface 4, but the USB drivers need the right firmware!

Has anyone tried running DXdiag when the failure occurs. More significantly go onto Windows Feedback and made a new entry in Mixed Reality category like
    "Surface book 4 headset connected to USB 3.0 port USB device not recognised".
    In the detail text describe what happened above then click on Start the Monitor, then add the headset USB and remove headset a few times. Click Stop monitoring and save the monitor. So do a DXDIAG and screen dump each tab and attach the screen dumps from DXDIAG. Attack you pictures above describing the problem

This would at least raise the problem officially

• @Jimbohalo10 - Yeah, I went through all that with Microsoft directly on Campus back in August when this issue originally surfaced. I imagine with the announcement of the Surface Book 2 this morning, this is not going to get resolved. They just couldn't say so because the new version had not been announced.

• @Fat_Bastard @Bryan @Jesse_McCulloch This is beyond irritating. I cannot believe Microsoft would not come out with a fix. I bought mine for Mixed Reality dev and now its just a paperweight. The mixed reality app says the device is ready. UGH!! Please let me know if you hear anything back from Microsoft.

• @Jimbohalo10 said:
    Has anyone tried running DXdiag when the failure occurs. More significantly go onto Windows Feedback and made a new entry in Mixed Reality category like
    "Surface book 4 headset connected to USB 3.0 port USB device not recognised".
    In the detail text describe what happened above then click on Start the Monitor, then add the headset USB and remove headset a few times. Click Stop monitoring and save the monitor. So do a DXDIAG and screen dump each tab and attach the screen dumps from DXDIAG. Attack you pictures above describing the problem

This would at least raise the problem officially

I did raise a Feedback in the App for this a long time ago... No one answered.
    I did not attached a DXDIAG dump to it, because... well it is obvious... MS has either the Acer or the HP headsets in their possesion... And I am very sure that they have a Surface Book sitting somewhere... Since this problem occures on EVERY Surface Books a dump is not required. MS techs can do that themselves.

• Thought I was going nuts ! .... spent ages this morning trying to get to the bottom of this. Trying direct connect, then usb hub as assumed it wasn't supplying enough power, rebooting etc....... But looks like I am not alone. I have the original surface book and it passes the tests with only a warning triangle on the Nvidia GPU so I assumed it would work but not at best. But it can't even connect to the device over USB. What a royal pain. - Not a dev, but end user purchase from amazon, so at least I have the benefit of being able to send it back!

• Just for completeness. Same issue here with a Lenovo Explorer. Pretty much disappointed right now...

• @Jesse_McCulloch @Fat_Bastard

Well what about UGREEN USB Extension Cable, 5m USB 3.0 Male to Female Active Repeater Cable with Signal Amplifier Repeater for Printers, Oculus Rift, Wifi Antenna, PlayStation VR, HTC VIVE

You can supply extra power via the Micro USB socket for power hungry devices (made for VIVE and Rift) so may be would work with WMR headsets.

Just plug the Headset in the socket and the other end in PC with power from another USB socket to female micro USB.

My theory is that the Surface book USB 3.0 port will share power output via two USB ports. The amplifier enhances and drives the USB 3.0 signal to Surface USB 3.0 port.

This may be useful with further distance from the Surface Devices

Relative to cost of the Surface book and WMR approximately £14. The price of the cable seems cheap

• This isn't an issue with power, it's an issue with the USB chipset that's used in the Surface Books. The drivers are incompatible with the chipset

• @Jesse_McCulloch said:
    This isn't an issue with power, it's an issue with the USB chipset that's used in the Surface Books. The drivers are incompatible with the chipset

What you are saying is the Intel Chipset drivers in Windows 10 are incompatible with Surface books then!

• Yeah. See my screenshots at the very start of this thread

• Completely agree. - No issue of power here. Have tried external USB hub with measured output current, Surface Dock and directly to Surface Book..... All with same issue. Device is actually 'recognised' and shows up in USB entries as per @Jesse_McCulloch original post.
    I also have the same issue with HPs Mixed Reality Headset.

It seems it is incorrectly identified maybe.... but I have no luck in overriding or installing different drivers to force it into life.

Do we think there is any chance of an update if end users start making a noise..... or should I just send it back while I can - and wait a few months ?

• I will surface the issue again with Microsoft directly later today. Not sure if anything will come of it though.

• @Jesse_McCulloch said:
    I will surface the issue again with Microsoft directly later today. Not sure if anything will come of it though.

Please tell them to reflect the issue in the Mixed Reality Checker App also.... As long as it is not fixed.

• I upvoted existing Feedback hub items I could find - and also added one specifically for HP: https://aka.ms/A233tf