Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Two issues with getting MRD up & running

First issue is a false negative in the CPU detection. It says that my 6 core Intel i7 980 is not capable of running MR apps even though it exceeds the minimum spec for "mixed reality ready" in terms of actual CPU power and runs Oculus VR content just fine. It's not a common CPU, so probably isn't in the database.

Second issue is that if I choose to set up a "simulation" or use the registry to bypass the hardware check, I always get a "Something Went Wrong" error of 2181038087-11 -- no idea what that means.

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• paleahypaleahy admin
    edited October 2017 Answer ✓

Hi Noirsoft, my name is Patrick and I'm an engineer on the Windows Mixed Reality team. Unfortunately, your CPU is too old to be compatible with Windows Mixed Reality. Your PC is failing the compatibility check because your CPU is missing the AVX instruction set required to run Windows Mixed Reality. Here’s a link to our Enthusiast Guide, which can help you find a list of compatible PCs:

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/before_you_buy_-_faqs#where_can_i_buy_a_windows_mixed_reality_ready_pc.3F

• I ran into the same thing on my secondary machine. Was thinking I might have to replace the GPU, but it seems the CPU is the main issue. I have the 990X that I'm sure is also missing this instruction set. That's a bummer as it is still a great PC otherwise and really powerful CPU.

• @paleahy said:
    Hi Noirsoft, my name is Patrick and I'm an engineer on the Windows Mixed Reality team. Unfortunately, your CPU is too old to be compatible with Windows Mixed Reality. Your PC is failing the compatibility check because your CPU is missing the AVX instruction set required to run Windows Mixed Reality. Here’s a link to our Enthusiast Guide, which can help you find a list of compatible PCs:

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/before_you_buy_-_faqs#where_can_i_buy_a_windows_mixed_reality_ready_pc.3F

Hey Patrick, not to take this out on you, but I have to say that I find this Microsoft trend over the last few years to be very distressing. This is coming from a Microsoft fan and someone who still uses a Windows 10 Mobile phone even though MS and everyone else has abandoned the platform. Microsoft used to be known for supporting a wide breadth of PC hardware but now with every new OS update or otherwise, MS seems to be consistently dropping support for hardware that is perfectly capable (even with point updates ala windows 8.1 x64 dropping support for first and second generation x64 processors because they lack compare exchange 128 support).

Now it seems that AVX instructions are required for Mixed Reality even though competing VR solutions have no such requirement. You guys used to know how to program for compatibility with a wide variety of hardware without relying on only the latest whiz-bang instruction sets. Now granted AVX is supported by almost 90% of the market according to the latest Steam hardware survey, but bad word of mouth from whatever fraction of that remaining 10% feel their hardware should have been up to snuff is something that can be very detrimental, especially when you are starting from behind in the market (something I hoped MS would have learned from their phone attempts). Additionally, since Windows will soon be branching out to ARM devices again via OneCore, will the Mixed Reality Portal never be able to run on ARM processors which all lack AVX instructions?

I can understand you telling me that my hexa-core Phenom II is too old to run your platform (even though I've not yet seen any other reason to replace it), but to say the same to someone with a hexa-core Core i7 just seems ludicrous to me. People aren't going to build/buy a new PC just to support Mixed Reality, they're just going to buy and support a competing product instead, one with the foresight to support all the hardware powerful enough for their platform.

I had held off on buying VR equipment because I was really excited about Windows Mixed Reality and I wanted to be able to use and support the platform but since I'm not even able to set it up that won't be possible now. I had a heavy heart tonight as I re-packaged my Lenovo Explorer and put it in a box with a return shipping label. I've already placed an order for a competing VR product that I know will work with my processor.

• @Xenrid .... nice comment about Microsoft backward compatibility support for older hardware, I myself have been trying to encourage them to be more supportive particularly on hardware supplied by them over the last three years. Intel is also failing the industry with inadequate support for their integrated processor / graphic solutions... leading to I suspect a reluctance by many professionals to buy any new products from other than the market leader. In Graphics, NVidia seems to be the vendor to support, if Microsoft continues to manage their high priced Surface (Intel affiliated) product line like they have over the last two years, they are going to lost market support. I do recognize that technology is changing rapidly and they are trying to adapt but they have to be aware that not everyone has the financial wealth to spend on new technology as they do.

Legacy MCSE SCO ACE CompTIA A+ Network+ Professional.
    Former Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT), Authorized UNIX & LINUX Trainer, Accountant.

• I can accept the answer that the lack of AVX instructions is causing the problem. I solved this by upgrading my CPU to the 8700K. Not really a solution for others, but I was waiting for the new six core chips anyways...
    I do think that an explanation of "your CPU is lacking in features required by Mixed Reality" would make more sense than "your CPU is not powerful enough"