Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Force 90 Hz?

So Yesterday I bought a Lenovo Explorer, and when I first put it on, I noticed some flickering. With that I could not have it on for more than ten minutes without getting a headache, so I looked at the specs for Mixed Reality Ultra: and yeah. I have A PC with a GTX 1060 3GB (Good), 8GB RAM (Good), and a FX 6300 (Whoops). So the CPU is the Problem. So I do not have the required hardware, but a also have not the required hardware for BF1 which then runs smooth on Ultra anyways. So I am searching for a method to force Mixed Reality to use the "Ultra" mode. I should also mention that other Ultra features are also not appearing, such as the mirroring.

Answers

• Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

Hi @wulkanat for the HP Windows Mixed Reality Headset VR1000-100nn the packing box clearly states that using HDMI 1.2 locks the device to 60 FPS.
    Switching to HDMI 2 available in many laptops will allow speeds from 60 FPS to 90FPS.

When testing past code there needs to be twice ,
    the original speed 2D was 120 FPS. Now with stereo 3D this was halved and dropped below 60 FPS.

• paleahypaleahy admin
    edited October 2017

Hi @wulkanat, my name is Patrick and I am an engineer at Microsoft working on Windows Mixed Reality. Running Windows Mixed Reality in the ultra configuration requires that your CPU have 4 physical cores or more. From looking online, it seems your CPU only has 3 physical cores. You can see the full list of hardware requirements to run Ultra experiences at 90Hz here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4039260/windows-10-mixed-reality-pc-hardware-guidelines . While you can improve the visual quality of your Cliff House by using Settings > Visual Quality, you will be unable to enable ultra features like 90hz or mixed reality preview.

Hope that helps, thanks!

• wulkanatwulkanat
    edited November 2017

I understand... So the processor has only three physical cores, but also six logical... Is there a major limitation because of that? I just would love to know the reason for that! If there is a tecnical limitation there is not much to do about it, but often these limitations are just set by the developer.

Secondly, there is a quite intense flickering on the screen, which definetley does not appear on other PCs, which fulfill the Ultra requirements. I think I would be fine if that's going to be fixed, because as it is now the non-ultra is not a option for anyone, you can't leave the headset on for more than 10 to at maximum 20 minutes before needing a break.

EDIT: I should also mention that I run the HMD via HDMI 2.0, even tried the Graphics Card in a different PC, and there it worked with 90 FPS and full Ultra support.

• I'm in a similar position. A 7th gen i7, but with two physical cores (laptop), and a GTX 1080. This is locking me out of screen mirroring, which this should be able to do with ease, making it useless for me in a classroom environment. We need a 'I understand I have sub optimal hardware' switch to allow us to use the additional features.
  • Exact same here, we need an option for this.

• Bump.

• Yeah it doesn't seem fair to not allow users who can technically run Mixed Reality at Ultra just because their CPU is not the latest one. 90hz is necessary to avoid severe headaches and the larger FOV is needed for any sense of immersion.