Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Problem scanning tables with Spatial Processing

Hi,

We are developing a hololens app which is played over a table. We are using the Spatial Processing prefab, in the holotoolkit, but we have some problems. Sometimes it doesn't detect the table correctly. What can we do in order to improve the scan of tables?

Thanks!

Luis.

Answers

• Options
    james_ashleyjames_ashley ✭✭✭✭

Hi Luis,

It would help if you could describe more fully what sorts of problems you are encountering.

James

James Ashley
    VS 2017 v5.3.3, Unity 2017.3.0f3, MRTK 2017.1.2, W10 17063
    Microsoft MVP, Freelance HoloLens/MR Developer
    www.imaginativeuniversal.com

• Options

Hi @james_ashley ,

I am working with @LuisPalencia and the problem that we are having is as follows:
    we are using the SpatialProcessing to detect tables but, when we run the app, it detects floor as a table as well as creating tables around the room. In the SurfaceMeshesToPlanes script we select table in the Draw Planes section and destroy all planes except this one.

In the Unity editor and hololens emulator, the app works well. We would be grateful if you could help us because we can't advance in our project.

Thanks for your help!
    Cristian.

• Options

Hi again @james_ashley ,

We have found the error in our project. It didn't exist a 31 layer called Spatial Mapping so it was a problem. However, we have another problem that we haven't mentioned before. HoloLens generates tables but some of them appeared rotated. How can we fix this problem?

Thanks again!
    Cristian.

• Options
    james_ashleyjames_ashley ✭✭✭✭

@CristianGómez ,

I've never seen rotation before. That's a really odd bug. Some of this you may already have working but just in case:

1. You might want to try a different version of Unity if you are currently on the latest build. 2017.1.2 is working well for me.
    2. You have both the spatial mapping and spatial understanding components in your scene, right (sorry if that's a dumb question)?
    3. Have you run the sample or test apps for spatial understanding to see if they are running correctly (I ask about both because I can't remember where the actual sample project is currently located for this)?

James

James Ashley
    VS 2017 v5.3.3, Unity 2017.3.0f3, MRTK 2017.1.2, W10 17063
    Microsoft MVP, Freelance HoloLens/MR Developer
    www.imaginativeuniversal.com

• Options

@james_ashley

Spatial Understanding test works well but we are not using Spatial Understanding component, we are using Spatial Processing component. It's very weird because we have used Holograms 230 and it does not generate tables rotated.

I think that the problem can be the generation of meshes but we don't know how to improve it. The Spatial Mapping component has not been modified.

Thanks again and sorry for so many questions.
    Cristian.

• Options

I am pretty sure you need the Spatial Understanding component in order for the Spatial Processing to work properly. The only reason you did not need it in Holograms 230 is because you used a custom Shader in order to detect walls. (Blue Lines On Walls). Spatial Understanding is there in order to smooth out the meshes.

AR Developer

• Options

Hi @dbarrett ,

Do you refer to use the full SpatialUnderstanding component?

• Options

We could find the problems to our project, thus I will explain them if this post helps someone.

As I said in other comments, we are developing an app that needs to recognize a table to play a game. In the stage of recognition, we had several troubles towards the table since it sometimes appeared rotated. The fact of that it occurs is due to the material of the table. In our case, the colour of the table was black and the light was reflected on it, because of the material. Therefore, it made the tables be generated incorrectly.

In order to fix this problem, we changed the table for another one that had a different material, that is, a material that stopped reflecting the light on the table.

I hope that this post be useful for someone,
    Cristian.