Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Mixed Reality Headsets Frame Rate

BrunoHPPLBrunoHPPL
edited October 2017 in Q&A and Discussions

Hi there,

Would it be a way to change the frame rate of the headsets from 90Hz to 60Hz?

Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• Hey @BrunoHPPL, I'm an engineer at Microsoft on the team working on Mixed Reality. Currently, there's no support for this, but we'd love to understand the scenario you want to try out.

Thanks!

• Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

Hi @RachelFromMSFT IMHO One reason is that the HoloLens headset only runs at 60 FPS.

Therefore if you are fortunate enough to have a Window Mixed Reality Ultra PC, then you can run at 90FPS, you are developing Apps for Immersive Headset and 90FPS for HoloLens Headset is too fast for HoloLens.

This means every test has to be transferred to HoloLens to slow down and test.

If the Immersive headset FPS could be slowed to 60 FPS, like you can with Epic Unreal Engine 4 development, then all~ testing could be done on an Immersive Headset.

The other problem is that many people will have only PC's that run 60 FPS on a low spec graphics card.

The PC app market is 30FPS to 60FPS for example when Halo Wars 2 for PC was launched this was written on high spec graphics cards at 90FPS

We users had huge problems and the developers could not step down FPS to see the problems.

So in WMR VR we need to learn the lessons of PC monitor gaming on FPS, 90FPS is desirable but not necessary. 60 FPS is necessary and ability to test your app at slower 60 FPS is important

• Greetings, I would like to chim in and second this option. The reason I would want that is because this would allow us to get better image quality in demanding games like Fallout 4 and Elite dangerous at the sacrifice of lower framerate without triggering reprojection. Right now, I am playing Elite Dangerous and I cap it at 60 FPS, this give a better and smoother experience than getting 80-90 FPS jumping around. But I think it would be even better if it can be enabled at the driver level.

Any place in the registry or config file where this can be configured?

• @RachelFromMSFT Any info on if this is something planned, along with more options for performance?

• I think if you look into development on a C++/DirectX level you might be able to cap the update and render rate of your app yourself. Just take the timing from a render loop timer like DX::StepTimer.

• Thanks, but this would still trigger reprojection as far as the Mixed Reality driver is concerned.

I would really like to do it on a global basis.