Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

2D apps not loading in windows mixed reality

Hey im new to the site and i cant find my solution anywhere!... some details... 3D apps work just fine but 2D apps just load then display nothing... i only have 1 display port in my pc so i have to swap out my monitor for the headset... I use a wireless display in the process to trick the headset into starting up as it wont without a second display... any help is appreciated... i already tried chrome remote desktop but all it does is display a blank screen and play audio... going to try others to see if that makes any difference or not

Best Answer

• Answer ✓

Hi Hurricane0075,

My name is Yang and I'm working with Patrick. Since you don't have additional displayports, you can also use a USB connected display to satisfy the requirement.

Here's one I've tried:
    Plugable USB to VGA Video Graphics Adapter

Please let me know if you're able to use Mixed Reality with this adapter connected and whether the 2D apps are loading properly. You can always file feedback after connecting a monitor and we'll still get the right information. Thanks

Yang

Answers

• paleahypaleahy admin
    edited October 2017

Hi Hurricane0075,

I'm Patrick - an engineer at Microsoft working on Windows MR. Windows Mixed Reality requires a physical external monitor to be connected to the PC. For scenarios that do not require an external monitor, you can connect an EDID emulator to simulate the external display.

Examples:

As for the black displays, you please file a Feedback Hub bug and send me the short link via DM so we can take a look? Here are the steps on how to do that: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/filing_feedback

Thanks!

• Ok... i might need to be just a little more specific... i can get into windows mixed reality with a workaround involving a wireless display... my pc is an aliernware alpha r2 so i only have a single hdmi in and a single hdmi out... no other ports for display... i read somewhere that a usb to hdmi cable might work... since ur on the team would u be able to tell me before i go out and buy one?... also the 2d apps just display the first image, do the little loading circles, then the circles disappear... the black screen is from remote desktop only... finally im unable to file feedback since i dont have a monitor attached while using the headset
  • Answer ✓

Hi Hurricane0075,

My name is Yang and I'm working with Patrick. Since you don't have additional displayports, you can also use a USB connected display to satisfy the requirement.

Here's one I've tried:
    Plugable USB to VGA Video Graphics Adapter

Please let me know if you're able to use Mixed Reality with this adapter connected and whether the 2D apps are loading properly. You can always file feedback after connecting a monitor and we'll still get the right information. Thanks

Yang

• Thank you Yang!... i managed to get it working with a wifi display (miracast) by connecting the display then quickly changing the HDMI cord from my monitor to my headset... i just ordered myself a usb to hdmi graphics adapter (since im using a hdtv as a monitor) just in case... you were really helpful!