Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Closed Beta: Using SteamVR with Windows Mixed Reality

Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭
edited October 2017 in Q&A and Discussions

Using SteamVR with Windows Mixed Reality
From the new documentation 3rd October 2017

The Windows Mixed Reality SteamVR preview allows developers to test and optimize their SteamVR experiences to run on Windows Mixed Reality headsets. This program is currently in an invite-only closed preview.

As we continue to develop the experience, we will grant access to additional developers in our program to test and provide us with feedback

Here is Alex Kipman blog The era of Windows Mixed Reality begins October 17

Tagged:

Comments

• Due to being the first time after registration of using Steam VR application see section 2.1 in documentation, my installation made a forced error

Whilst installing the software, there was a box for Steam Beta and when the code given was put in from email there was an error. The documentation was not clear this code is the Product Activation code for Windows Mixed Reality - Game code, not for installing Steam VR Beta.

If you are familiar with Steam VR software the above probably wont happen.

The correct procedure is to click on the Enter code box then press Enter on keyboard. Steam VR Beta will then load. This is not the same as Windows Mixed Reality headset driver code activated later in section 2.4

This is the header and outline is the section of documentation where you personal email code goes

This is section 2.4 where you select Games from the Steam menu and enter via copy and paste the emailed Activation code

• Well Windows Mixed Reality SteamVR preview works with the Mixed Reality Portal in Simulation mode.

I started the Mixed Reality portal on Win 10 Insider build 16299.15. Clicked on For Developers and put Headset and controllers in simulation mode
    Restarted MR Portal and waited. Then download the Steam VR app “The Lab”,(free), a big Steam VR only app and started the app.

The app “the Lab” ran and attached to the MR portal without any further assistance.
    I have an Xbox One USB wired controller which can be used to navigate round the app
    So here is a screen dump of MR Portal running without any Windows Mixed Reality controller, proving that the software works. We cannot get hold of WMR controllers in the UK so cannot test with controller.

• Did you guys just get a beta code or did you guys had to ask for it? I sent a mail to mrhelp to see if they can provide me with a code too.

• @Martin I know that you can ask for a code using this form.

@Jimbohalo10 I tried two games with the controllers yesterday, AudioShield which is a SteamVR game and Bullet Train using ReVive because it's an Oculus game. Both are working well. I've a glitch on the right eye sometime, I remember that the OSVR drivers had a similar issue at the begining.

Controllers are well tracked, but the position and orientation are not good with ReVive but I think it's normal because it's mainly made for the Vive wands.

French XR/MR developer / Indie Game Developer

• So... Is there any chance of getting a close beta key?

• @Fat_Bastard said:
    So... Is there any chance of getting a close beta key?

You have to fill in the form

This is similar on the loan WMR headset, except its all the ability to support and program in Steam/ Steam VR software and any programs that you made to work with the Mixed Reality portal software. Each key is a one off that expires once used

• Well I think I have practically no chance of getting one as a hobbyist :D ... I still filled out the form... Who knows.

• @Fat_Bastard - You never know. I was once a hobbyist who ended up getting a wave one HoloLens and building a career out of it...

• Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

@Fat_Bastard said:
    Well I think I have practically no chance of getting one as a hobbyist :D ... I still filled out the form... Who knows.

Gave up being professional when computers were in 19 inch 6 foot racks and Millennium bugs! were all the rage

Oh I put my skill is debug and testing

Yes I am a hobbyist, who drives a white van as a job and near retirement age (Degree in Comp Science, wait I'm Yoda!), but still got a code.

Cant wait to get my HP Windows Mixed Reality Headset VR1000 Black

• I got my code his week... Horray!
  • @Fat_Bastard said:
    I got my code his week... Horray!

Congrats! I just picked up a Dell Visor and submitted for a code. I love the idea, but unless we have some real games to play, or apps to use, it seems almost useless? I am already beta testing (IMHO), so I am hoping they are willing to provide all willing testers a chance to use steamvr.

edited October 2017

The display on my HP WMR Headset the text was small so Settings->System ->Display -> Scale and Layout.
    Change size of text and Layout to 175% (maximum)

Now I can read text on the Desktop app started from the Motion Controller Windows button. This really helps with the focus on the HMD display

The only down side is this makes the real PC monitor desktop really big.

This did not change anything in the SteamVR Windows.

The tracking is jumping around, for headset and Motion Controllers.
    Suddenly the left controller stopped working then an ghost imprint of the right controller appeared and would not move.

• Windows Mixed Reality SteamVR preview allows developers to test and optimize their SteamVR experiences to run on Windows Mixed Reality headsets.

In the Epic Unreal Engine 4.16.2 the Windows Mixed Reality headsets take the place of Steam VR headset and Motion Controllers like VIVE.

This results in Mixed Reality Portal being suspended while trying to complete the Unreal Blueprint VR with Motion controllers as they are now attached to the Steam VR beta software and being used in Steam Home environment which is the Steam equivalent of Mixed Reality portal..

The MR portal eventually goes to sleep, but does not start up when the Steam VR portal is shutdown. The headset goes black the SteamVR attempts to start but just inside headset are a globe of lines, through the Sky.

The result is that the Xbox controller version works but the Motion controllers via Windows Mixed Reality headsets don't work.

This is really confusing and has taken days, to troubleshoot.

This has been reported on Windows Feedback. link broken!

edited November 2017

The Windows Mixed Reality SteamVR preview allows developers to test and optimize their SteamVR experiences to run on Windows Mixed Reality headsets. This program as of 15th November 2017 is the Public release of the software in Preview to development and users. In the Steam store!.

Review this thread from the beginning !

Announced in Road to VR: Public SteamVR Preview for Windows VR Headsets Launches Next Week

• Just to re-iterate_ BETA IS NOW OPEN TO ALL_ "This program as of 15th November 2017 is the Public release of the software in Preview to developers. In the Steam store!."
    See the Controller layout Steam has provided in the article Using Windows Mixed Reality Controllers (Motion Controllers) on Steam VR Games

see Microsoft support page https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4053622/windows-10-play-steamvr-games-in-windows-mixed-reality