Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

UK Version:HP Windows Mixed Reality Headset VR1000-100nn – Black

Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭
edited October 2017 in Q&A and Discussions

This is about using the HP Windows Mixed Reality Headset VR1000-100nn – Black in the UK

This is my story from purchase on Amazon UK to installation

So currently waiting until 25th October 2017 to 29th October 2017

Microsoft UK, still out of stock and no eta on orders.

My PC is a custom PC, so this should be fun!! :D

Wait till my next post

Tagged:

Comments

• Well - I ordered one in the UK, it was prime next day delivery - got it yesterday (18th).
    .......and it's going back today.

It doesn't work at all with any of my surface hardware. The USB device isn't recognised. Same issue as with ACER in a previous forum post in this same forum.

Seems to be a compatibility issue with Microsoft hardware (Surface devices like surface book) using certain Intel USB hardware internally.

• Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

This seems like a nice time to make a Disclosure. My career spanned my years finally HP bought out Compaq. Now my friend, another Service Engineer has bought has a HP Spectre which he connected the new HP Windows Mixed Reality Headset. This left me to set things up works fine!.

This demo convinced me to buy the HP Windows Mixed Reality Headset.
    We may have left HP, but we are the few still interested in technology, the rest play golf :D:s;). Still getting someone to build your custom PC hardware is quite a luxury instead of DIY.

Sad that such an Surface such expensive device fails.
    Well up voted all the entries on Windows Feedback for Surface products
    lets hope that's started thing to move

• I ordered one today. I live in Italy and ordered on amazon.co.uk. Estimated delivery is 28 oct - 3 nov. Can't wait for it!

edited October 2017

Well thank you Amazon UK you said Delivery

So currently waiting until 25th October 2017 to 29th October 2017

But the good news came home to find a card from courier Hermes who delivered today the 21st October 2017, five days early.

The best thing is the HP Windows Mixed Reality Headset VR1000-100nn – Black in the UK, works

The box containing the headset says plug in and it works.

If you plug this into HDMI 2.1 socket the headset does run at 60FPS, when plugged into HDMI 3.0 socket this is 90FPS

My only problem is loss if focus at the edges of the lenses and wonder if this is optical.

If you connect the Headset to a PC without Mixed Reality Portal loaded, then you main screen desktop displays on both eyes and the edges are still fuzzy. Your screen is using NVidia drivers but because screen resolution 1920 is larger than 1440 of the headset, so this seems an optical problems.

This makes me think HP Windows Mixed Reality Headset VR1000-100nn – Black loss of focus at edges needs an optical adjustment, but any answers would be great.

• Well, there are a few things at play here @Jimbohalo10.

First, all the headsets use Fresnel lenses. These naturally cause a bit of distortion/fuzziness around the edges.

Also, there is not an adjustable IPD on any of the hardware except the new Samsung headset, so if you have a wide IPD like me (71.2), then the headsets are not optimal for you and can also promote that blurring around the edges.

• @Jesse_McCulloch said:
    Well, there are a few things at play here @Jimbohalo10.

First, all the headsets use Fresnel lenses. These naturally cause a bit of distortion/fuzziness around the edges.

Also, there is not an adjustable IPD on any of the hardware except the new Samsung headset, so if you have a wide IPD like me (71.2), then the headsets are not optimal for you and can also promote that blurring around the edges.

Thanks for that @Jesse_McCulloch, according to the Kinect IPD app, my IPD is (72.3), so that's why I get the same problems,

The problems is made worse for wearing sight correction spectacles, glasses, need to spend a lot longer positioning the headset.

The isn't any problems with wearing glasses in the headset which is amazing.

When first using NVidia 3D Discover Red/Cyan glasses took a while to get used to the distortions, but they are fine now.

The other amazing thing which found by accident is the headset will configure on HP laptops
    This is really funny the WMR test app says it wont run but it does.

My custom desktop uses a low spec card but still runs.

My next upgrade item will be to get a NVidia 1060 graphics card, when paid off for the HP headset.

• There is a digital IPD adjustment in the Settings -> Mixed Reality section of Windows 10. It won't go as high as you need it, but it does help some

• @Jesse_McCulloch said:
    There is a digital IPD adjustment in the Settings -> Mixed Reality section of Windows 10. It won't go as high as you need it, but it does help some

Thanks tried it earlier on, strange you can put 72 in the box but wont store this value .Looks like 66 is the maximum IPD

• Yeah, it won't get you all the way there, but it is slightly better than nothing :)

edited October 2017

@Jimbohalo10 said:

@Jesse_McCulloch said:
    There is a digital IPD adjustment in the Settings -> Mixed Reality section of Windows 10. It won't go as high as you need it, but it does help some

Thanks tried it earlier on, strange you can put 72 in the box but wont store this value .Looks like 66 is the maximum IPD

This does not work on my HP MR device, do we need a firmware update?

Opened the Desktop app in The MR Portal went to Mixed Reality Setting -> Calibration and this did nothing at all to the picture, still fuzzy. Now took pictures from camera app just press the Windows Keyboard key up pops the Windows Menu like HoloLens on (f2).

Click camera and started looking at screen clicking mouse to take pictures and they are FUZZY, just like the view inside HP MR headset my Visual Quality is set to Automatic
    The screen is in fact really fuzzy with the optical problems
    You have to guess which icons are the settings icon

Logged all this in Windows Feedback, with start capture sequence

• @Jimbohalo10 - What kind of machine are you running it on?

• Hey @Jimbohalo10, I'm an engineer at Microsoft on the Mixed Reality team, and I was hoping you could share the shortlink from the feedback hub on the bug you filed.

If you open the Feedback app,
    -Go to the Feedback tab
    -Select My Feedback at the top
    -Select the bug
    -At the top right corner, there's a share button

Can you copy and reply with the link? We'd love to take a look at the issue you are hitting.

Thanks!

• @RachelFromMSFT said:
    Hey @Jimbohalo10, I'm an engineer at Microsoft on the Mixed Reality team, and I was hoping you could share the shortlink from the feedback hub on the bug you filed.

If you open the Feedback app,
    -Go to the Feedback tab
    -Select My Feedback at the top
    -Select the bug
    -At the top right corner, there's a share button

Can you copy and reply with the link? We'd love to take a look at the issue you are hitting.

Thanks!

Here's the link https://aka.ms/Nks7cr to topic HP Mixed Reality Headset ignores Mixed Reality Settings Calibration function

HP Windows Mixed Reality Headset VR1000-100nn – Black ignores Mixed Reality Settings Calibration.

Run Mixed Reality portal pulled up desktop and navigated to the Mixed reality setting page, went to calibration
    moved to minimum then maximum, no a single bit of difference.
    May work on Acer but not on HP.

See how my screen is fuzzy and the attached pictures reflect that.
    Which means its not the Optics is the Portal software
    When using the Unreal Engine 4.15 to 4.17 its really crisp. Yet Unreal engine called the Mixed Reality portal, but display using [dev_mixedReality] port of Unreal Virtual Reality drivers, which are a clone of the UE4 Steam VR drivers!

There are pictures and monitoring log on the Feedback hub entry attached
    Good Luck
    Jim

• Hi @RachelFromMSFT This Feedback Hub entry is about a bit of code found hidden deep

This shows that the Calibration IPD is hard coded to always be 64mm IPD

edited November 2017

@Jimbohalo10 said:

If you connect the Headset to a PC without Mixed Reality Portal loaded, then you main screen desktop displays on both eyes and the edges are still fuzzy. Your screen is using NVidia drivers but because screen resolution 1920 is larger than 1440 of the headset, so this seems an optical problems.
    This makes me think HP Windows Mixed Reality Headset VR1000-100nn – Black loss of focus at edges needs an optical adjustment, but any answers would be great.

Possible Answer

After reading a lot about similar problems with the Vive headset in the early days. Readers concluded that the distance between the lens and the users eyes had made a difference.
    One person noticed that they could remove the comfort face mask to make the eyes closer to the lenses.

This is NOT the IPD adjustment, for which there is none on many of the Windows Mixed Reality Headsets.

Now the next picture shows partial removal

2 Partially removed for headset same way as reopening pockets for sporting clothes

Now we can see the whole face mask and observe the size of the mask is about 13 mm or 1/2 inch. The squeezable nature of the mask in itself leads to distortion in the picture.
    The cheap $20/£20 headset for Google Cardboard works better without loss of focus, because they put a mechanism to change to distance from eye to lenses, why not put this on a £400/$400 device?.

Now we can see the Headset firstly from the lenses side

With this view the Face to lens distance reduced. Nose covering showing much closer and further towards eyebrows

For my prescription spectacles this still works, but the clarity and focus is much better, resulting full FOV with little distortion on the edges The positioning on face and adjustment needs to be tighter

My assumption is the device was engineered, without the face mask, which was added later and no one has seen the link.

Summary

Its NOT the lenses or the IPD, its the 20 cent/pence cover stuck on to make the thing supposedly comfortable to users, that causes fuzziness on the edges.

• Hello, my PC doesn't have integrated bluetooth. I would like to know if I have to buy a Bluetooth dongle or the HP has something integrated. Thanks in advance!

edited November 2017

@Kimerus said:
    Hello, my PC doesn't have integrated bluetooth. I would like to know if I have to buy a Bluetooth dongle or the HP has something integrated. Thanks in advance!

Hi , look at What version of the Bluetooth standard does my computer / laptop / tablet support?.

What you need to locate in this screen is the “LMP version” (Link Manager Protocol). Use the table below to translate the LMP version of your Bluetooth adapter to the actual revision of Bluetooth supported. Note that your LMP version may be a decimal number. In the example above the number is 6.1280. As the LMP table shows, any LMP number starting with 6 indicates that your adapter supports up to and including version 4 of the Bluetooth standard.

LMP
    Bluetooth Version
    Bluetooth 1.0b
    Bluetooth 1.1
    Bluetooth 1.2
    Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR
    Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
    Bluetooth 3.0 + HS
    Bluetooth 4.0
    Bluetooth 4.1
    Bluetooth 4.2
    Bluetooth 5

So look at the driver using the example

In the picture this 6.nnnnn represents "6 - Bluetooth 4.0" from the above table.

Say you had 3.nnnnn that's Bluetooth 2.x or 5.nnnnn Bluetooth 3.0 both unacceptable for WMR Motion Controllers.

Here in the U.K. this is the Bluetooth 4.0 that my PC is using. The old Bluetooth 2.0 was retired

edited November 2017

There has been some "loose talk" that the HP WMR headset does not run at 90FPS. The problem will be external hardware as described below causes the problem.

Fortunately there is now evidence from the "DXdiag" diagnostic in the file dxdiag.txt, which is shared here

Holographic Devices

Device Type: Spatial Graph
      Device Name: HoloLens Sensors
     Manufacturer: HP Inc.

Driver Version: 10.0.16299.1036
    Driver Date: 21/06/2006 00:00:00
    Driver Provider: Microsoft
    Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER]
    Device Problem: No Problem
    Driver Problem: Not Available
    Device Path: \?\usb#vid_045e&pid_0659&mi_04#7&23122305&0&0004#{43f57110-467b-47d9-9c4b-264af0b54cfa}

Device Type: Holographic Display
      Device Name: HoloLens Sensors
     Manufacturer: HP Inc.

Driver Version: 10.0.16299.1036
    Driver Date: 21/06/2006 00:00:00
    Driver Provider: Microsoft
    Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER]
    Device Problem: No Problem
    Driver Problem: Not Available
    Device Path: \?\usb#vid_045e&pid_0659&mi_04#7&23122305&0&0004#{deac60ab-66e2-42a4-ad9b-557ee33ae2d5}

Device Type: Head Mounted Display
      Device Name: Not Available
     Manufacturer: Not Available

Parent Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1381&SUBSYS_36581458&REV_A2
    Power Status: On
    Preferred Mode: 2880 x 1440(p) (90.000Hz)
    Pref Desktop Mic: No
    Pref Desktop Spkr: No

The relevant test is bolded Preferred Mode: 2880 x 1440(p) (90.000Hz).

Next this explains why my cheap Display to HDMI does not work
    Looking in the product description we find
    Suitable for 1080p HD resolution, up to 1920x1200

Now checking again the Display to HDMI port is actually HMI 1.2 and the same for the Display section

The workaround is to configure the Desktop monitor onto this device and connect the Windows Mixed Reality Immersive Headset directly into the HDMI 2.0 socket.

If you misconfigure you will get a black screen!, then just swap the cables to the above and restart your PC.

You will need to purchase a DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter with a NVidia GeForce 1050 device when sold as an upgrade Maplin code A90XH

edited November 2017

Just received this Display to HDMI 4K adapter. No extra wires and works with my HP WMR Headset DP to HDMI 4K adaptor , 4U DisplayPort Male To HDMI Female

Works with the NVidia GeForce 1050 which has only 2 ports (one Display and one HDMI 2.0). The older NVidia GT750 TB which has 4 ports ( 3x HDMI and on Display) is supported
    Resolution required is 2880 x 1440 for HP WMR Headset.

Look at the price only 20% :)B) of the 1920x1200 one above
    UPDATE two hours later
    Unfortunately the reason this is so cheap, about $8, is because after two hours the adapter overheated and could no longer start the Headset.

The first error was S0002261-101, after restarting PC,
    because mine is an HP WMR Headset, the error for me is H0002210-0 after 2 hours overheats or something.

The fix was to put the Headset HDMI back directly into an HDMI 2.0 socket on the NVidia graphics card

edited November 2017

Now another display adapter arrived this has lasted over 4 hours now, no problems

The good news is this is still working well on the Headset.

Recently someone asked about a Surface Studio and its Mini Display port for the HP WMR Headset.
    My opinion for UK use is the use of an Adapter to plug in so that you can use the 4K to HDMI 2.0 adapter

This would save a lot of money and looks like it will work as a pass thru device

Update over 24 hours later

Still works fine, after 16 hours intermittent usage

• Many monitors support a display port cable

Saving an HDMI PORT on the NVidia GT1050 graphics card and allowing the WMR Headset adapter To directly connect to the only HDMI 2.0 socket.