Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Something went wrong Error 2181038087-12

mpattenmpatten
edited November 2017 in Troubleshooting

I'm using the new Samsung Mixed Reality headset and for the life of me cannot get this thing to be happy with any USB 3.x card I throw at it. My on-board USB 3.0 ports using asmedia driver 3.0 with microsoft drivers keeps failing. I installed a new PCIe 3.0 USB Card with a Renesas 3.0 driver and this also was having the same issue. Not letting that stop me I returned that card and purchased a new Startech PCIe 3.1 USB card which uses Asmedia again and has the same issues.

The base driver that is not microsoft signed works fine and doesn't crash the driver when the unit is plugged in but Mixed Reality portal gives me an error 2181038087-12 which means that it doesn't like the driver because it is not microsoft certified. So I roll the driver back and it now has the (microsoft) next to the driver which is suggested but now the driver keeps crashing.

For troubleshooting I've done the following
1. Uninstall and Delete the Samsung Windows Mixed Reality 800ZAA driver (many times)
2. Roll back any non (microsoft) USB driver to a (microsoft) driver
3. Uninstall and Delete USB drivers for my 3.x cards and reinstall drivers
4. re-install my OS.
5. Try the headset on a friends computer (works just fine so it is not the HMD)
6. Remove the USB and HDMI from my PC, power down and remove power for 5 miinutes and power back up after most troubleshooting steps and then re-inserting USB and HDMI cable to the ports.

The driver error I see is

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

PoseThread failed to initialize presence sensor code: 0xD0000010

Anybody who had this issue find a way to resolve it?

PC Specs:
Latest Windows Build and Updates as of 11/13/2017
Windows 10 x64 PRO
Intel i7 2600k (Sandy Bridge)
16GB DDR 3
Nvidia Geforce GTX1080
ASUS P8Z68-V GEN 1 mainboard

Best Answer

• mpattenmpatten
    edited December 2017 Answer ✓

ISSUE RESOLVED

I was able to resolve the issue. I had to go into my motherboards BIOS settings and disable Legacy 3.0 support, also did legacy 2.0 for good measure. Once this was completed my computer immediately was able to recognize and use my Mixed Reality headset. This was using my stock on-board USB 3 ports.

The PCI cards I picked up were returned after I had given up on on this along with the Samsung headset which is a real shame. Picked up a Dell one which was on sale but also had the same issue so I ended up checking my BIOS for any suspect USB settings which is how I came to the fix. Legacy support was enabled.

Answers

• @mpatten said:
    I'm using the new Samsung Mixed Reality headset and for the life of me cannot get this thing to be happy with any USB 3.x card I throw at it. My on-board USB 3.0 ports using asmedia driver 3.0 with microsoft drivers keeps failinUSING... same issues.

The base driver that is not microsoft signed works fine and doesn't crash the driver when the unit is plugged in but Mixed Reality portal gives me an error 2181038087-12 which means that it doesn't like the driver because it is not microsoft certified. So I roll the driver back and it now has the (microsoft) next to the driver which is suggested but now the driver keeps crashing.

For troubleshooting I've done the following
    1. Uninstall and Delete the Samsung Windows Mixed Reality 800ZAA driver (many times)
    2. Roll back any non (microsoft) USB driver to a (microsoft) driver
    3. Uninstall and Delete USB drivers for my 3.x cards and reinstall drivers
    4. re-install my OS.
    5. Try the headset on a friends computer (works just fine so it is not the HMD)
    6. Remove the USB and HDMI from my PC, power down and remove power for 5 miinutes and power back up after most troubleshooting steps and then re-inserting USB and HDMI cable to the ports.

Anybody who had this issue find a way to resolve it?

PC Specs:
    Latest Windows Build and Updates as of 11/13/2017 *
    Windows 10 x64 PRO *
    Intel i7 2600k (Sandy Bridge)
    16GB DDR 3 *
    Nvidia Geforce GTX1080 *
    ASUS P8Z68-V GEN 1 mainboard

*=SAME ,

I am using an Acer MRH;the motherboard, is an Z170A GAMING M5 , CPU=I6700K, GPU= GTX 1080 founders ed, I am using and MSI USB 3.0 support…

This is the second Acer mixed reality headset from Amazon which I received as a replacement this morning.

Any answers?

Chas

• Having the exact same issue and it's quite saddening. Only ASmedia USB 3.0 host drivers from Microsoft are allowed, and yet - although they can register the HMD in device manager - ask to plug in the display in the mixed reality portal. Infuriating.

• My Samsung Odyssey is consistently crashing my Win 10 OS and rebooting it. All the latest drivers are install on my Asus Strix laptop with a GTX 1070 GPU, 32 Gb RAM, etc. I've submitted a report on the Feedback Hub with crash info from the Reliability Monitor. Still haven't heard back from Microsoft. Really unfortunate because I'm trying to write software for the Mixed Reality Headset. It worked for awhile. Was able to play a game and then just crashed... I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling as well.

• mpattenmpatten
    edited December 2017 Answer ✓

ISSUE RESOLVED

I was able to resolve the issue. I had to go into my motherboards BIOS settings and disable Legacy 3.0 support, also did legacy 2.0 for good measure. Once this was completed my computer immediately was able to recognize and use my Mixed Reality headset. This was using my stock on-board USB 3 ports.

The PCI cards I picked up were returned after I had given up on on this along with the Samsung headset which is a real shame. Picked up a Dell one which was on sale but also had the same issue so I ended up checking my BIOS for any suspect USB settings which is how I came to the fix. Legacy support was enabled.

• SachaBSachaB
    edited February 2018

My Samsung Odyssey HMD is also crashing constantly with a Blue Screen on the Headset and then the headset Restarts. Sometimes when just loading the game. I have a ASmedia USB 3.0 host controller and using the (Microsoft) drivers and the latest NVidia drivers. I have turned off Legacy Support.

Sometimes it will work for a while and sometimes it just Crashes. Always the Blue Screen in the Headset only and it restarts.

I am also a developer trying to make apps and games for this Headset but this is very frustrating. :\

• @SachaB said:
    My Samsung Odyssey HMD is also crashing constantly with a Blue Screen on the Headset and then the headset Restarts. Sometimes when just loading the game. I have a ASmedia USB 3.0 host controller and using the (Microsoft) drivers and the latest NVidia drivers. I have turned off Legacy Support.

Sometimes it will work for a while and sometimes it just Crashes. Always the Blue Screen in the Headset only and it restarts.

I am also a developer trying to make apps and games for this Headset but this is very frustrating. :\

Same issue with my HP WMR headset.
    I also use the ASmedia 3.0 and some times I have got it working temporarily by ininstalling some drivers etc. But now I am completely stuck... :(

• Because mixed reality is completely B R O K E N and a complete piece of shit. I get the exact same thing, pc bluescreening, headset not working, all the works. I'm surprised there hasnt been some kind of lawsuit about it yet, and if there WAS a class action lawsuit I'd join cause FUCK microsoft and their fucking "vr headset" lies. This is a ripoff that wasn't even worth the 200 I spent on it