Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

HP mixed reality headset has flashing black screen in mixed reality portal

Hi, could use some help here in setup. I just bought the HP Omen i5 bundle with HP mixed reality headset and controllers bundle from Best Buy. Got it working after much effort but had to reinstall windows 10 after a mistake cloning the OS to a SSD drive. Now I can get to the mixed reality portal, tracking works OK on the gem setup step and audio is OK. The video flashes in the headset or about 5 seconds with a black backlit background and then powers off and flashes again. I exchanged the headset thinking it was faulty but the new one has about the same problem. Have updated all drivers, including a reinstall of the GTX 1060 drivers. Updated BIOS and chipset drivers. I dont think its a hardware issue right now because somehow it was working right after one reboot where I updated some drivers and before I had to reinstall Windows 10. Any help appreciated.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-omen-870-224-desktop-hp-mixed-reality-headset-with-controllers-package/9999289100050003.p?skuId=9999289100050003

Desktop features: 7th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-7400 quad-core processor; 8GB DDR4 system memory; 1TB hard drive (7200 rpm); NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 graphics with 3GB GDDR5 dedicated video memory; Windows 10

Desktop also features: DVD/CD burner; next-gen Wireless-AC connectivity; Bluetooth 4.2; 5 USB 3.0 and 4 USB 2.0 ports; 1 HDMI output; 3 DisplayPort outputs; 1 DVI port; built-in media reader

Headset features: Combination of real and enhanced viewing; lightweight design; easy adjustment knob to customize the fit; full rotational and positional tracking built into the headset; 1440 x 1440 resolution per eye; 3.5mm combo audio jack

Headset includes two wireless motion controllers and a 2-in-1 HDMI 2.0 and USB 3.0 cable

Headset must be connected by a cable to a PC running Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

Best Answer

• Options
    russxrussx
    Answer ✓

Doh!! It was something simple. My DVI-D to HDMI cable came in today, and it worked the first time I tried to setup. Previously, I was swapping out the HDMI cable from my TV to the headset and remoting in using TeamViewer as a headless server since I didn't have any cables lying around.

Thanks @Jimbohalo10 for your comments!

Answers

• Options

Ran all updates in Windows, Fall creators update is installed, restarted dwm.exe process. Gonna try to uninstall mixed reality....Could there be an issue since I'm running the desktop headless and using TeamViewer to remote in (there's only one HDMI port and my display uses HDMI, ordered a DVI-D to HDMI cable but it won't come for a few days....

• Options

Maybe I need a powered usb 3.0 hub? That might explain the flashing. I ordered one that may come in a few days.

• Options
    Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

Hi @russx
    The Powered USB Hub wont help only make matters worse!.
    Must be direct to USB 3.0

With my HP WMR thread UK Version:HP Windows Mixed Reality Headset VR1000-100nn – Black

The upgrade notes

IMPORTANT: Mixed Reality devs, change your Insider settings today (Oct 9)!!!

When choosing a USB 3.0 (blue internal colour socket) you may need to move the plugs through each socket to find the best one.
    My Kinect uses USB 3.0, but the HP WMR will not work in that socket, first error made, tried another USB 3.0 works.

The problem sounds like the flashing is due to graphics drivers Download and Run GeForce Experience
    To update to at least October 26 2917

When its all working join in Building Immersive apps

HP WMR MUST go in the HMDI port 2.0
    Here is warning about Display Adapters must be 4K, not 1920 x 1080

Windows Engineer said:-
    please double check which of the official Microsoft Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapters you are using: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/d/surface-mini-displayport-to-hdmi-20-adapter/8qj8ss92m2tl - this adapter is supported, as it supports HDMI 2.0 / 4K resolution https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/d/surface-mini-displayport-to-hdmi-adapter/8q5dqkd29gxt - this adapter is not supported, as it only supports 1080p resolution

See next post for problems

• Options
    Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

Hi @russx
    Just upgraded my PC to NVidia GT1050 graphics card.
    There were problems getting the screen working.
    1. On a new install/upgrade of NVidia GT1050 graphics card the HDMI display MUST be directly connected to HDMI 2.0 port initially.
    2. Connecting HDMI monitor to the Display Port via UHD 4K adapter results in a black screen!
    3. You must have Download and Run GeForce Experience before you start and the Internet network must be connected.
    4. When you install the new automatically downloaded drivers, you MUST use Custom Installation. In the Custom Installation tick the box in the bottom left "Perform clean install", if you don't some of the drivers don't get replaced from the old graphics card, or Windows Update.
    5. Once the drivers are loaded restart the PC.
    6. Now "hot swap" the HDMI monitor cable from the HDMI socket to the Display Port via UHD 4K adapter.
    7. Wait for about 17 seconds until the software is reconfigured then you should see the Desktop on the HDMI monitor
    8. Connect the HP WMR headset HDMI cable directly to the HDMI 2.0 port on the NVidia graphics card.
    9. Connect the USB 3.0 (blue Insert) cable to the USB 3.0 port
    10. If the is an error
    Whilst installing a new NVidia GT 1050 graphics card this error code 2181038087-5 showed up on the Mixed Reality (MR) Portal when connecting any WMR headset.

WORKAROUND

Pulled the USB 3.0 Headset cable from the Current socket and looked for USB 3.0 socket nearby with the blue insert.

Pushed the USB 3.0 Headset plug in the socket, there was the new device detection bell/bong sound and the MR Portal immediately started to work.

The really weird thing was found upgrading to NVidia GT 1050 graphics card after pulling the mains power cord from socket to put back on the right part of desk. Restart Windows 10 PC and MR Portal gives error code 2181038087-7

Tried the same workaround as above and this worked again!.

• Options

Thanks @Jimbohalo10.

I think you're probably right that the power isn't an issue. I used a USB 3.0 thumb drive and this utility called USBDeview from nirsoft and all four of my USB 3.0 ports show 896 mA. So power likely isn't an issue.
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

Also used this utility with Run As Administrator to cleanly uninstall all devices, connected or not connected.

Note however on the most recent attempt I did see an error on one of the HoloLens Sensors...

Tried the 2 different USB ports that can reach with the cable and No Improvement.
    Tried uninstalling all USB controllers, hubs, and ports in Device Manager and doing Scan for New Hardware to reinstall. No Improvement.

I have run a couple of the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 drivers
    Custom (Advanced) > Perform a Clean Installation
    Settings > Mixed Reality > Uninstall
    Do an additional Restart after Mixed Reality Uninstall to reinstall Windows updates.
    Redo Setup through Mixed Reality Portal

NVIDIA's site mentions that WMR is supported on 8792 or later.
    Tried all of these drivers:
    387.92-desktop-win10-64bit-international-rs3-whql
    10/6/2017

Tried also this driver
    388.00-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql11111
    10/12/2017

Latest driver
    388.31-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql
    11/14/2017

Still same issue, flashing backlit black screen for about 5 seconds, stays at no power to screen for about half a second, then gets backlit again for another 5 seconds and repeats.

Will a Windows Insider version work better perhaps? Right now I have Windows 10 Home x64 with all updates installed.

• Options
    russxrussx
    edited November 2017

• Options
    russxrussx
    edited November 2017

@Jimbohalo10

Hey, if you get a chance, can you download USBDeview and verify that you don't have any Red Alerts by any of your devices?

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

Also, do you use any diagnostic tools? I saw somewhere an install checklist that said to turn on full kernel dump and install I think one other package.

• Options
    russxrussx
    Answer ✓

Doh!! It was something simple. My DVI-D to HDMI cable came in today, and it worked the first time I tried to setup. Previously, I was swapping out the HDMI cable from my TV to the headset and remoting in using TeamViewer as a headless server since I didn't have any cables lying around.

Thanks @Jimbohalo10 for your comments!

• Options

@russx said:
    Thanks @Jimbohalo10.

Great news. The information will help others in future