Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Traveling with Hololens

My question.... can i travel to our dev-Center in Europe for tests with the hololens?

Comments

• I don't see why you would not be able to...

• AlexDAlexD ✭✭✭

@Jesse_McCulloch I would let someone from MS to answer this one.
    Since the device does not have all the international certifications, it can potentially be confiscated at the border even if it's for personal use - very good question!

• The terms of use are pretty clear on that - you can, at your own risk - you agree to take care of whatever might be necessary regarding import/export and regulatory issues. I am pretty sure that you will not get an official response by Microsoft beyond that.

• It may be that the hololens under export Ban?
  • james_ashleyjames_ashley ✭✭✭✭

There's no export ban. you probably need to explain what the device is when you go through customs, though.

@DaTruAndi -- you recently brought a device into Germany (and the videos got posted on youtube). What was your experience like? I think this is what @Bigchart is curious about.

James Ashley
    VS 2017 v5.3.3, Unity 2017.3.0f3, MRTK 2017.1.2, W10 17063
    Microsoft MVP, Freelance HoloLens/MR Developer
    www.imaginativeuniversal.com

• ;o) no... We have our development in New York... but also a special team in germany and all what we want to know...the correct rules.

@Bigchart ,

I doubt anyone from MS would be allowed to give you legal advice on your travel arrangements if this is what you are asking for.

That said, this isn't a big deal. I used to travel to Europe with Kinects, VR equipment and other gear all the time for shows and demos. I used to carry a dremel in my carry on. Not toothpaste, though. That can get you in trouble.

Have your original invoice to show that the item is yours. You may need to explain what it is but probably not -- it's basically a computer. If you don't feel any anxiety when you think about taking an Oculus Rift or something similar in your luggage, then you shouldn't about this either.

James Ashley

• Ok cool... thanks James

Just tryin' to keep it real, @Bigchart. B)

James Ashley

• @james_ashley said:
    @DaTruAndi -- you recently brought a device into Germany (and the videos got posted on youtube). What was your experience like? I think this is what @Bigchart is curious about.

Nothing to say really. TSA was interested in it (and one female agent knew that it was that thing where you can see Holograms in front of your eyes).
    The device is USA owned and not sold to a company in Europe, so I was not bringing goods to be sold.

• Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016

@AlexD said:
    @Jesse_McCulloch I would let someone from MS to answer this one.
    Since the device does not have all the international certifications, it can potentially be confiscated at the border even if it's for personal use - very good question!

You will need an US Export Compliance licence to take this out of US. You could be heavily fined as well! If you try to remove from US jurisdiction

Apparently UPS can organise export compliance. The UPS group inform relevant State Department and obtain a waver. Hence the $500 shipping charges to International shipping

edited April 2016

@Bigchart,

To reiterate, you are fine to travel.

The HoloLens is classified with an ECCN of 5A992.c, which concerns mass consumer hardware with encryption, and is NLR (no license required). This is the same export classification as a Lumia Phone, a Surface tablet, and an XBox One.

As I read it, these items do not have an export license requirement.

@Jimbohalo10 ,

Definitely better safe than sorry, but I don't think an extra $500 to UPS is necessary in this case. Good to know, though. Thanks.

James Ashley

• I just flew domestically with the HoloLens as a carry-on. TSA said nothing at my home airport, but the return flight was different. Going through X-ray, the agent said "what is this?" I struggled to come up with a description that she might understand. At first I said it was a head-mounted mobile computer. She gave me a funny look, so I said... "Do you know what Google Glass is? It's like that." She said "oooh", and sent it to the secondary screening for illicit material. That agent started unzipping it upside down and he freaked out when I asked him to turn it over. He said, why do I need to turn it over? I just didn't want the contents in the middle to spill out. So I said, you see, it's like a socket set, if you open the case upside down, stuff falls out... He didn't get it. I finally said just open it however you want, I don't care. Anyway, everything plopped out and he just handed it back to me when he was done.

The bottom line is that I got through, but they had no clue what it was...