Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Barely Black screen in MR Portal

Hi!

Have a problem with the mixed reality portal, in the first configuration and first tutorial all are good, but when cortana ask me to go on desktop virtual for the first time, i have barely a black screen, in headseat and in simulation

Best Answer

Answers

• I have submitted a feedback https://aka.ms/Nb33nv

• @Skyskrym You appear to have submitted the feedback Dec 14th in French, suggest you give more information about your computer hardware and Windows 10 version & Build number you are using.... my guess right now is you need an active mini display to HDMI cable or your graphics card is incompatible, driver needs to be updated. Give us more info to assist you in troubleshooting.

Legacy MCSE SCO ACE CompTIA A+ Network+ Professional.
    Former Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT), Authorized UNIX & LINUX Trainer, Accountant.

• Hi! hive just 1 hdmi port and have installed all newest driver on my laptop

• I am surprised that you meet the WDDM 2.3 support requirement but get the yellow triangle warning.... your graphic card does not appear to meet the MR requirements check ... have you edited the Registry to allow the portal to bypass the Hardware Check requirement?

Former Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT), Authorized UNIX & LINUX Trainer, Accountant.

• I recognize you were able to install the Portal Software, but if it is the Hardware Check causing the blank headset screen, try editing the Registry to run the Portal without hardware check. Your Graphic Card spec is not supported.

Here are the steps:
    Open the Registry Editor and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Holographic\FirstRun (you can paste that into the address bar at the top).
    Create a new DWORD (32-bit) value (either via Edit or context menu) and give it a name of AllowFailedSystemChecks.
    Double-click that value and set its data to 1.
    Restart Mixed Reality Portal

See if that clears up the issue...

You can actually install the graphic driver to run WDDM 2.3 support, I run the Portal with WDDM 2.1 on a non MR supported integrated graphics card ...Intel Iris 540 ... the vendors are dealing with a lot of bugs in their driver software. Under the Microsoft Spec, I should not be able to run the Portal but I can quite well.

• Hey!
    I tried to edit the registry but nothing changes..

• I ordered a new computer full "vr ready" I hope it will work better, for m'y laptop i hope you are right and i'm waiting for an upgrade,
    thanks you for answers !

• @Skyskrym, just a cautionary note...A new computer system, may or may not solve your problems immediately. I have spend a lot of time researching, I am a Technical Trainer, IT Support. A Google search of Windows Update issues, device driver conflicts etc. for the last year and half indicates to me numerous problems, this is something that is inherent in the development of new hardware and software technologies. A lot of us make decisions to purchase hardware hoping that it will meet the requirements but change/developments are in flux. You should be prepared to encounter hardware/software issues even on MS approved hardware.